: The Fragile Art of Existence

Lord Cadillac
12-06-07, 03:33 PM
A friend of the family named Anita (closer to Danielle, really) went in for necessary gastric bypass surgery.. There was a complication - a clot - and she went into a coma this morning. Now she's gone.. Since was young - in her 40s. It's amazing how we can be here one minute, and gone the next. She went under figuring she'd awaken to find out her surgery was finished - but she never did wake up.. If it's not one thing it's another. We're all on a very unpredictable clock...

Rolex
12-06-07, 03:57 PM
Damn Sal I'm sorry to hear about that. I'll lift your friend and her family up in my prayers. That's a very high risk surgery and a high risk group of people who have it. :nono:

gothicaleigh
12-06-07, 04:02 PM
My condolences, Sal. :(

I agree that these losses are often unfortunately too sudden.
We only get to live on by how we are remembered. We should try to live our lives with that in mind.

RunningOnEMT
12-06-07, 04:03 PM
unfortunately this thing happens all too often.

The frequency of surgery and the availability of cosmetic surgery centers has made this an all too real situation where people are not afraid of surgery. Not that people should be terrified of it, but it is NOT routine no matter what people say.

people go in for hip replacements and wind up dying from Pulmonary Embolisms WTF?!?!?! thats actually very common, people go in for breast augmentation and wind up dying from an intracranial bleed formed when a clot ruptured a dormant anurism in their brain.

Any time you go under for anesthesia its not 100% safe, never is, thats why there are 9089018273981729387192837 forms to sign, limited liability.

The false sense of security that people are provided with by TV and the media and the annecdotal culture of surgery makes the medically neccessary ones that much less "oh my god" someone going in for medically neccessary roux en y bypass has a much greater risk of death than a cheek lift, but people say oh its a cosmetic thing you'll be fine.

Its rather aggrevating. and especially so for your friend's family i'm sure, i have a very jaded view on this working in the "healthcare" profession as an emt. see wierd shit all the time and hear it from our career staff.

all that rambling aside, my condolances to your friends family and to danielle and anyone else that may need that extra supporting word.

Fire and Ice
12-06-07, 04:05 PM
Damn that really sucks... I've lost many people in my life. Some very close to me. It makes you realize how fragile life is and how we should appreciate the time we do have. I'm sorry for your loss.

Craig

Lord Cadillac
12-06-07, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the kind words, everyone.. Life is so short.. It's ridiculous..

ejguillot
12-06-07, 04:32 PM
Sal & Danielle, sorry to hear of your loss. Life can be short and unexpected... you're above ground one day and six feet under the next. All the more reason to remind those you love that you love them.

AMGoff
12-06-07, 04:56 PM
Sal, my condolences and prayers go out to you, Danielle, and most especially Anita's family. This is truly a tragic turn of events, especially for such an unnecessary surgery.

Like IGMAV pointed out... any time you go under general anesthesia there's always a chance something could go wrong and I can't understand how so many people think that just because a surgery may be an elective one that it is somehow safe.

This just highlights how much issue I take with elective, cosmetic surgeries... it comes down to this "instant gratification" attitude, that we've talked about many times before, that has overtaken this country...

Don't like something about yourself? Well heck, just go under the knife!

I'm especially not too keen on these gastric-bypass type procedures... there are few things about our bodies that we actually have control over - and weight is one of them. It's not like having an ugly nose, or really small breasts - there's nothing we can necessarily do about them ourselves (although I still think surgery for such is not necessary.) But this gastric-bypass stuff is just too far. Granted, I don't know the specifics of this woman's particular situation, but the fact remains that unless there's some immediate concern or some real medical reason that someone can't lose weight the proper way, then such operation's shouldn't even be allowed. Just being fat isn't a reason why someone can't exercise. I always hear some people say that they've tried everything and still can't lose the weight... that's complete BS... they just haven't tried hard enough. It's simple science... if you burn more calories than your consume then you're going to lose weight. But the problem with that is it's slow and takes work to do. But noooo... we can't do that, we're lazy and have no willpower and we have to have it right now, so let's just surgically alter the size and composition of our stomach! And the worst part is many doctors are condoning and even endorsing such actions.

I'm sorry to go off on such a rant especially in light of the situation... but it's because of this, that a young woman has been lost... needlessly. And that truly makes my heart ache... just because it was so goddamn unnecessary.

Not all that long ago we had to worry about external forces killing us... now we have to worry about ourselves.

Lord Cadillac
12-06-07, 05:19 PM
This woman was slightly overweight. I don't know all the details, but I'm told the surgery was necessary. So I'm a little confused.. I'll have to ask Danielle later..

HITMONEY
12-06-07, 06:06 PM
I hate these "reality slaps", but they are necessary. It is far to easy to take life for granted, get lost in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Somehow, if there is a grand architect, I don't think this is what he/she/it had in mind.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Sal and Danielle, but thanks for the slap.... I was due. Between this and Sandy's thread I've taken a moment to reflect.

Jesda
12-06-07, 06:22 PM
Thats just awful. At such a young age, and in an attempt at improving her health.

Lord Cadillac
12-06-07, 06:52 PM
I could have known her better, but for what little I did - she was very easy to like.. I think we should all be very careful with our health and at least consider whatever possible alternatives there are to surgery before going through with it.

Brizzal
12-07-07, 12:35 AM
there's always that small margin that ends up being a slap to the face...

Crown Vic Owner
12-07-07, 12:51 AM
You got my prayers man.

Sorry about that.

Cadillacboy
12-07-07, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss .