: I need your advice...again...

nerdifiedgeek
12-05-07, 09:36 PM
Well I have a deposit down on another car. A 2001 intrigue I'm getting for $7500. Really nice car, with almost as many options as the catera. My Catera has about $1000 worth of leaks, and I don't want to put the money into it to fix it then just have more problems with it, even though I love the car it's just too much of a money pit to keep.

Anyways...I asked the guy how much he would give on a trade in for it, and he knows how bad these cateras are with the engine problems, and since it has the oil leaks he said he can only give maybe $1000 for it but he cant even promise that until he looks at it closer. So, odds are he is only going to offer like 800 or less for it. It's a 97 with 77k miles on it, should I just keep it until I have the money after college to fix it up, or should I sell it myself, or just take what he gives me?

CateraMV6
12-05-07, 10:51 PM
Definitely don't trade it because he will turn around and put it on the lot for like 3K just like it is... the freaking dealer offered 2000$ for my uncles car a VW Passat 01 with 100K on the clock... we backed off and then got 8K for it from a private sale... so he was just BSing around with us... so I wouldn't recommend the trade... just keep it and then fix it when you got money... its definitely a low mile car so its not worn out mechanically... and those gaskets should be fixable with easy home tools... I did mine at home in my garage over the span of a month a little bit at a time... and it cost me just parts and leisure time..

nerdifiedgeek
12-05-07, 11:13 PM
Definitely don't trade it because he will turn around and put it on the lot for like 3K just like it is... the freaking dealer offered 2000$ for my uncles car a VW Passat 01 with 100K on the clock... we backed off and then got 8K for it from a private sale... so he was just BSing around with us... so I wouldn't recommend the trade... just keep it and then fix it when you got money... its definitely a low mile car so its not worn out mechanically... and those gaskets should be fixable with easy home tools... I did mine at home in my garage over the span of a month a little bit at a time... and it cost me just parts and leisure time..
Hmmm sounds like a good idea, except I don't even have anything to lift the engine, and I'll need to do that to fix the leaks :-/

GunmetalCatera
12-05-07, 11:53 PM
Sell it privately to get the best amount of money dealerships screw ya.

cateraowner
12-06-07, 01:01 AM
definatly don't trade it in. there is no way you should get rid of that car for under a thousand.

if you can afford to keep it you should. and wait till you have the time and money to fix it.

$1000 worth o leaks might not be too hard to fix. what is leaking? how bad are the leaks?

GunmetalCatera
12-06-07, 03:01 AM
If its anything like my 98 the leak isnt THAT bad. Are we talking quarts of fluid a day or........?

nerdifiedgeek
12-06-07, 07:36 AM
I've already gone through the long decision process of whether I keep the car or not, so I'd rather not get back to that again lol, besides the deposit is already down on the other car. Here's the list of things wrong with the car though. Oil pump gasket leak, Valve cover gasket leak, heating element out in seat, cracked windshield, broken adjuster in headlight, wheel alignment messed up, needing new tires now and light out in dash. I might keep it and fix it up, but I definately can't be paying to have all these things fixed when I'm trying to go to college.

nerdifiedgeek
12-06-07, 07:58 AM
If its anything like my 98 the leak isnt THAT bad. Are we talking quarts of fluid a day or........?
No the leaking isn't all that bad, I'm not exactly sure how much its leaking, but the leak is getting worse and the smell is getting almost sickening since it's leaking on the exhaust.

yellowxhoodie
12-06-07, 01:46 PM
im currently selling my 2000 Cat and i dont even want to take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Its only got 70K on it and is one of the nicest Cateras out there, all options except for the sport package. I know they would prob try to low ball me at like $2500, because keep in mind that they have to fix this car up a little and then still try to sell it for a profit, its like dealing with a middle man, where as if you sell it private, its like wholesale straight to the consumer, so you keep all the profit. I could get at least double, prob close to triple what the dealer will offer me. And $800? C'mon? You can make more than that just from parting out the car...

smcrosby
12-08-07, 10:22 PM
Where do you live? I may buy the car from you myself. I could give you more than what he was talking about with the known problems.

nerdifiedgeek
12-08-07, 11:10 PM
Well I am talking to another dealership that is willing to take the car without me buying from them, and I think they are willing to pay around 2000, but I'll let you know what I find out.