: Smoking Northstar?

devilleconcours100
12-04-07, 10:20 PM
Okay, I went to crank up the Concours this afternoon, and she ran like she always has, but I noticed a little more smoke than usual. It wasn't sweet smelling white smoke (aka the first sign of a blown head gasket), but it wasn't blue oil smoke either. It smelled fumey, and the car was dripping lots of water out of the exhaust, and out of the little drains behind the muffler. I will add, the car hasn't really been driven for a few weeks, and it was around 45 degrees outside today. No missing or unusual noises, no overheating lights, the oil looks fine, antifreeze is full and green/clean. Just wondering what it could be?

Dave

Submariner409
12-04-07, 11:10 PM
Normal condensation and warmup. That's what weep holes are for.

Fumey? Cold enrichment during warmup.

A gasoline engine creates (changes, liberates, makes) a LOT of water per gallon of fuel consumed. The CAT helps also.

Ranger
12-04-07, 11:16 PM
Yup, sure sounds like normal condensation to me. Should get worse in the coming months.

devilleconcours100
12-04-07, 11:56 PM
But it was blowing big plumes of smoke, so much so that the wind was blowing it all the way up the car body. I could see smoke from the driver seat looking out my window.
I didn't think that was normal.

Dave

Ranger
12-05-07, 12:11 AM
THAT, does not sound normal. You'll have to see if it does it again, then determine if it is smoke, fuel, coolant or condensation.

devilleconcours100
12-05-07, 12:35 AM
Well, I didn't think it was normal. It looks pretty white, but after rethinking the situation, I would say it was oily smelling. It has appeared to be blue in warmer climates, so I guess its just burning oil, as usual. Is there anything I can do (short of a head & valve job) that can mask or cover over this smoke?

Thanks, Dave

dkozloski
12-05-07, 12:51 AM
The universal cure for whatever ailes a Northstar is a generous dose of WOT.

Ranger
12-05-07, 12:15 PM
Generally speaking, blue smoke at start up is from leaky valve seals, something that the Northstar is not known for. The only cure is to replace the seals, but I am not convinced that is your problem yet.

dkozloski
12-05-07, 01:40 PM
There needs to be an analysis by somebody who knows automobiles. You need to determine just what is coming out of the tailpipes, whether it's condensation, burnt oil, anti-freeze, or whatever. Hold a clean white cloth over the tailpipe while somebody else guns it a couple of times and tell us what you see on the cloth.

devilleconcours100
12-05-07, 06:44 PM
It leaves a oily residue, but smells like unburnt gas. Fuel economy has been slipping steadily for the last few months, but I haven't driven the car 100 miles since July. I noticed when smelling the dipstick, it smelled fumey, like gas fumes. and the oil felt a little wet. However, I saw no evidence of a white substance on the cap or anything that remotely smelled or looked like antifreeze. The car is running fine, but it does look something like a mosquito sprayer from behind :0. I know that anything at the parts store that claims to "stop oil burning" or "stop smoking" is worthless, but is there anything I can do to patch up this problem?

Dave

devilleconcours100
12-05-07, 07:50 PM
Okay, I checked my codes, and am showing a P095 History. That's the only code showing, current or history. I understand that it is a Engine Stall Detected code, so I wonder if I could have started when I ran out of gas a little while ago?

Dave

Fire and Ice
12-05-07, 07:56 PM
I agree. Sounds to me like normal condensation on a cold day, thus indicating the catalytic convertors are functioning properly. If you had a rich/lean condition it would throw a fuel trim DTC and set the SES light.

Craig

Ranger
12-05-07, 10:02 PM
Check for a leaky FPR.