: How long is your NS dipstick?

TexasCadillac
12-04-07, 06:31 PM
I bought a new dipstick for my 98 Deville today {because I broke it when I changed the spark plugs} but the new dipstick is 1/2" shorter. Are there different length NS dipsticks? I checked it before I left the dealer and took it back inside the part dept and they went and got a dipstick out of a car in the shop and it had the same length dipstick as the new one I bought. I still don't think it is the right length. TexasCadillac

Cadillacboy
12-04-07, 06:43 PM
Apparently, I have never noticed such a difference . Still, my Seville's might be shorher than '93 Sevilles though . Since there are difference versions of Northstar engines , I think it makes sense different lenght d sticks .
Thanks for bringing this thread out so that we can learn another thing on Northstars

urbanski
12-04-07, 06:44 PM
:lol:

sorry

Crown Vic Owner
12-04-07, 08:21 PM
My dipstick is as big as the northstars

Of course the dipstick to check vaginal fluid.

Submariner409
12-04-07, 10:01 PM
Someone's mind is in the gutter.

dkozloski
12-04-07, 11:53 PM
Mine's as long as a tomcat's tail but you have to measure from the same place on me as you do the tomcat.

Cadillacboy
12-05-07, 12:01 PM
Yuo shoudda seen 'lade's dipsticks lol

Submariner409
12-05-07, 12:50 PM
Late '02 STS VIN 9.......25 3/4" from the O-ring to the bottom of the hashmark.

EcSTSatic
12-05-07, 12:54 PM
I bought a new dipstick for my 98 Deville today {because I broke it when I changed the spark plugs} but the new dipstick is 1/2" shorter. Are there different length NS dipsticks? I checked it before I left the dealer and took it back inside the part dept and they went and got a dipstick out of a car in the shop and it had the same length dipstick as the new one I bought. I still don't think it is the right length. TexasCadillac

Don't listen to these dipsticks ;)

Just curious, is the fill line a different distance from the hilt of the handle or is the end of it just shorter?

TexasCadillac
12-05-07, 02:32 PM
Late '02 STS VIN 9.......25 3/4" from the O-ring to the bottom of the hashmark.
thanks my car is a 98 Deville. the total length of the new dipstick is 23" from the stop edge. It is 22 3/4 from the o-ring to the very bottom of the dipstick. Last night I changed the oil and filter and it was at the full mark using the old dipstick. I used the new dipstick and it shows needing another quart to fill it up. I am using the old dipstick. It's like I always said, the factory cheapens these cars up with plastic so they won't last too long. GM spent a lot more to cheapen the dipstick up than to make it out of all metal, all it needed was a metal finger hole on the end. I wonder if the dealers fill the engines up by the quart or by the dipstick? There could be a lot of cars with the wrong dipstick running around with 8 1/2 quarts of oil. I will look around to try to find a used one the right size. TexasCadillac

EcSTSatic
12-05-07, 02:41 PM
Ages ago when I replaced the shortblock in my VW Scirrocco the new block from VW came with a larger oil pan. Instead of a new dipstick I got a sticker to put under the hood that said something like "this engine requires X quarts of oil".

Submariner409
12-05-07, 03:01 PM
Verrrry interesting. In my car, 7 1/2 quarts of oil total, filter and pan, brings the mark to exactly halfway up the hashmark. I would guess that another 1/2 quart would bring it to the top, but that's more than the recommended total. If I prefill the filter during an oil change, just over 7 quarts poured into the pan brings the level to halfway.

When we fit a MOROSO large (8 quart) marine pan to an Olds 455, the OEM measurement on the old dipstick is meaningless. Sooooooo.....with the engine in the boat at the correct angle, you fill the pan with MOROSO's recommended number of quarts, then mark the dipstick based on that initial fill. Fill the filter, prime the engine and run it for a while to start the breakin. Check the oil and , if necessary, bring it back up to the new mark. Now you have a true total capacity, dry.

Cadillacboy
12-05-07, 03:46 PM
BTW, MB's most models don't come with the dipstick .Fortunatelly, GM don't deal with such things . I love electronic stuffs but it's a good way to check out your car's engine oil level by yourself .

Submariner409
12-05-07, 09:43 PM
:confused: :hmm:

Cadillacboy
12-06-07, 08:59 AM
Yup,there is just a digital gauge or readout for oil level ,there is no dipstick in other words .