: weep holes

704caddyman
12-04-07, 02:29 PM
hello does anyone know what weep holes are? my mechanic says that when the pressure build in my motor water leaks from the weep holes. and that this have being going on 4 a while? does anyone have any suggestion or info thanks

med
12-04-07, 03:32 PM
hello does anyone know what weep holes are? my mechanic says that when the pressure build in my motor water leaks from the weep holes. and that this have being going on 4 a while? does anyone have any suggestion or info thanks

"Most" engines have a weep hole(s) or vent hole(s) or pee hole(s) on the water pump (see picture). I think it keeps the water pump pulley bearing free of coolant as the pump starts to fail. I believe you can diagnose a bad water pump by noticing coolant in the weep hole. Maybe your mechanic thinks you need a new water pump:hmm:. Northstar water pump has weep holes (I don't know-I've never been into one). N* pump runs off a separate belt and tensioner from front bank driver's side camshaft. Maybe someone can chime in and clear up the weep holes. I thought I was an expert in weep hole knowledge because I work with a bunch of "weep holes" all day - which is way better than working with a**holes <-- because when they build up pressure it stinks. Stay cool, I'm sure a more "reasonable and experienced person" will chime in:bouncy:.

JimD
12-04-07, 03:50 PM

What engine model are you talking about?

Northstar water pump design does not have weep holes; if coolant appears to be dripping from the water pump area, you have a failed pump cartridge seal or O ring. OR a failed seal on the water pump cover.

Ranger
12-04-07, 04:49 PM
:yeah:

Elmer Fudd
12-04-07, 07:52 PM
I think I may have this very problem. The main engine support (cradle?) stays wet on the passenger side (99 Concours). It seems to be getting worse and for the first time I saw a wet spot on the driveway this AM.

No drips I can see when hot, but apparently it leaked some last night when cold....:ill:

I can see wet on some areas down there, looks like it is from slightly forward of the CL of the engine...that where the water pump is???:o

IF a water pump, what would be a fair price to expect from a Caddy dealer to replace??

Ranger
12-04-07, 08:11 PM
The water pump on the Northstar is on the rear (drivers side) of the engine.

Elmer Fudd
12-04-07, 08:27 PM
Well that explains why I couldn't find it......:D

704caddyman
12-04-07, 09:01 PM
its a 2001 dts L37 option. he say he believes that the block is cracked and when the pressure builds it leaks through the weep holes. I seen the water pouring from what look,like the center of car thanks everyone

JimD
12-04-07, 10:01 PM
Pictures might help.

HITMONEY
12-05-07, 05:31 PM
its a 2001 dts L37 option. he say he believes that the block is cracked and when the pressure builds it leaks through the weep holes. I seen the water pouring from what look,like the center of car thanks everyone

That makes no sense.

Maybe freeze plugs leaking??? Not sure if N* has freeze plugs though, can someone verify?

Ranger
12-05-07, 08:59 PM
I seem to recall our old Guru saying that the Northstar does not have freeze plugs.