: 1992 d'Elegance 5.7 liter coolant smell

96Fleetwood
12-04-07, 09:57 AM
So my brother just picked up a '92 Brougham d'Elegance with the 5.7 TBI motor.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture077.jpg

It has 130K miles.

Yesterday after a 50 mile drive from a job site, he smelled coolant when he got home. It does not leak anywhere.

Do these motors have issues with the intake manifold gasket?

Nothing leaking from the waterpump, hoses, or radiator.. any guesses?

Thanks,
Elias

N0DIH
12-04-07, 09:58 PM
A friend of mine had a similar situation on a 96 Burb 454. It was the weep hole on the water pump. It would leak and smell, but evaporate before it had enough to hit the ground. Got up underneath to finally find.

My LT1 had a pin hole leak in the line from the coolant reservoir to the TB that sprayed a super fine spray that was very hard to see.

Caps can do it also, look for it leaking.

But my bet is on the water pump.... (sorry! I have seen it too much....)

By the way, sharp new ride!!

z06bigbird
12-12-07, 11:03 AM
Should not be manifold gasket unless someone mixed old green and the long life fluid that GM used a few years ago.

Climb under car at night with a flashlight; easier to find.

96Fleetwood
12-12-07, 10:12 PM
In 1992 they all came with Green coolant, that is all this car had.

MadCaddie69
12-17-07, 07:39 PM
Mine did that within two weeks after my dad bought it. I'm thinking it might be the thermostat. Check that.

96Fleetwood
12-24-07, 09:43 PM
It is the intake manifold for sure. Got the Felpro gaskets and going to try to do the job for him while I am in Virginia this week.

N0DIH
12-25-07, 10:33 AM
Once you have the intake off, gasket match it will always guaranty designed/intended performance.

If you can find them, the TorquePlus intake gaskets can help for carb cars, probably for TBI too by breaking up the fuel better before it hits the cyl port. Some think it doesn't work, yes, it does, my 455 responded nicely to it (make sure no sharp edged in the ports, else the screen will be cut and can be injested...) Cold weather and low rpm drivablility was noteably improved. All carb guys I highly recommend. TBI cars may not improve much, but likely will improve some. High rpm operation might suffer slightly, but not until over 5000 rpm. Which these cars likely never will see anyway. But cold and low rpm (and mpg) did improve.

96Fleetwood
12-25-07, 05:23 PM
I did some research and most of the TBI truck guys recommended the Felpro gaskets. I used them on my '96 for the Valve Covers and they make a good product.

brougham
12-27-07, 06:14 PM
Intake gaskets are aproblem on them. Mine had that problem a few years ago and I think it has the felpro ones now too. TorquePlus now theres a name I havent heard in a while.