: Hi beams don't work? Help!

GunmetalCatera
12-03-07, 01:09 AM
Okay I'm new on here and to this car as well, so I really need help here. At night while driving if I activate the switch the gauge cluster indicates that the high beams SHOULD be on but they don't work. This confuses me, I'm just some moron but maybe I'm not thinking straight. Help me guys.

-Powers-

GunmetalCatera
12-03-07, 11:47 PM
I take it no one has any idea?

yellowxhoodie
12-04-07, 11:21 AM
well did u try replacing the bulbs? that the would be the first thing. if not, then check the wiring.

GunmetalCatera
12-04-07, 02:13 PM
Aren't there only one bulb in the Headlight on this car? I was looking at the bulbs for the car and they looked to have only one filiment. So I would figure if the lights didn't light up that meant I needed to replace them.

todd2fst4u
12-04-07, 05:01 PM
high beam bulb is separate from the low beam bulb

elvin315
12-04-07, 06:46 PM
Troubleshooting 101:

The chances of both High Beams failing simultaneously are slim. Look for something they have in common like:
Fuses
Relays
Switch

Buy a Haynes Service Manual and start checking the HiBeam circuit.

PS: It would help if you'd tell us what year Catera you have and if it's a Sport or not. Sports have HID low beams. Probably not an issue here but it helps to have all the details.

AllenPacla
12-04-07, 10:55 PM
Try switching the bulbs into the low beam slot and see if it lights up. If it doesn't then you need a new bulb, if it does, then there's a problem with your high beams, it could be the relay or the switch. Our Catera could certainly be a pain in the ass.

GunmetalCatera
12-04-07, 11:15 PM
its a 98. low beams stay on even when i switch it to high beams.

todd2fst4u
12-04-07, 11:29 PM
low beams should stay on when you turn on the high beams. both bulbs in each headlight come on when you turn on the high beams

GunmetalCatera
12-04-07, 11:44 PM
well then Im sure its the bulbs. boy i feel like a retard

yellowxhoodie
12-05-07, 12:04 PM
he did say that he was new to the car so the previous owner prob just never put new bulbs in. Bulbs are less than $10 for both so just give it a try. When i got my Cat both of the inner brake lights were out and i always just though there werent any, until i looked into it a little and realized the bulbs were burnt out...

GunmetalCatera
12-05-07, 12:28 PM
This car has alot of things worng with it. The climate control screen is burnt out, passenger seat leather is shrunken and hard, slow oil leak, broken fog lights (need new ones). It had the common valve cover leak before we bought it. I think the prior owner was an idiot or something but it had great milage and the price was perfect. I actually love my Catera even tho it seems I bought a wrong year Catera.