: I hate these new Toyota commericals.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 11:21 PM
I've seen a few different commercials for the annual "Toyotathon" sales event. They're always like "you should ditch whatever you've got no, no matter if you destroy it, or it's stolen, and get a Toyota!" In the first one I've seen, it took place in a large manufacturing plant, and there was a crane operator that was moving a rather large I-Beam across the plant, and he stops right over his truck (late '80s, early '90s Silverado) and drops the beam directly onto the truck, and smiles when he thinks about the new Tundra he's getting. And in the second commercial I've seen for this, a man parks his late '90s Bravada on the top floor of an outdoor parking ramp. He then proceeds to walk behind the Bravada, and manually push the truck through the barrier and onto the ground, six stories below. Yeah ****ing right. :bigroll: Then he proceeds to daydream about the new Corolla he's going to be buying.

Now I try to keep an open mind about cars, no matter what brand or country they're coming from, but it's pretty damn hard to keep an open mind about Toyota when they're airing shit like this. It's a backhanded, snide insult to GM! And I've never seen one of these commercials where they're not using a Ford, or a Chrysler, or even a Honda or VW...always GM.

LS1Mike
12-02-07, 11:25 PM
Screw Toyota, they are eventually going to f it all up for themselves.

AMGoff
12-02-07, 11:36 PM
If nothing else, these new commercials show that for the first time, Toyota is on the defensive AND they're actually worried about the new products GM is rolling out. It also tells me at least, that not even Toyota is all that confident in their new products.

The product should be good enough to advertise itself.. just take the new Malibu for example.. while I thought the last Malibu commercials were really clever... the new ones basically just show the car and nothing else... that right there shows that GM knows they've got a good product...

Toyota should be worried, very worried... they poked the sleeping giant.. and they're seeing the repercussions. The Mailbu is merely a shot across the bow.

gary88
12-02-07, 11:38 PM
I remember the commercial about how "tough and rugged" the new Tundra is, when in the background all you see are the Ford Super Duty trucks that towed everything there.

LS1Mike
12-02-07, 11:46 PM
Hey didn't the learn from Pearl Harbor, about waking a sleeping Giant...
They said it themselves then.

gdwriter
12-03-07, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I saw those commercials and found them asinine as well. F$*k Toyota.

77CDV
12-03-07, 01:09 AM
Funny thing is, in the paper today was a little blurb that Lexus is recalling some 2006 ES and IS due to fuel lines that break spontaneously. Guess someone's getting too big for their britches....

Fire and Ice
12-03-07, 01:50 AM
hahaha... funny stuff =)

Craig

Night Wolf
12-03-07, 09:27 AM
lol, one new Toyota comeercial I do laugh at is when the guy is on the date with the girl in the Corolla then obnoxiously turns the enigne off and says " well it's looks like we'll be stuck here...... alone..... car ran out of gas" and the girl just starts laughing..... it's funny.

That new Tundra commercial, besidees the Ford Super Duty's towing everything there, that "tow 10,000lbs up the ramp" is really a 5,000lbs truck towing a 5,000lbs trailer, and then stopping that 10,000lbs? the trailer was equiped with electric brakes..... marketing is fun :)

LS1Mike
12-03-07, 10:12 AM
I never really thought GM marketed anything well. Toyota does. Marketing is everything now a days.
When I bought my First LS1 powered car. I looked at a Mustang first. Both cars cost the same but the Damn Camaro buried the Mustang in every category of peformance. Since neither interior is spectacluar, I got the Camaro.
How many Mustang commercials did you see? A lot more than for the Camaro. Hell I didn't even know at the time the Camaro was rated at 305 HP while the GT was 260 and the LS1 F-body would dyno better than 280 closer to 290 while the GT was lucky to see 240.
I think GM is doing a job with some of the New Commercials though. The Malibu ones are pretty good!

RightTurn
12-03-07, 12:09 PM
I can't say that any automobile commercial has ever had any impact on my decision to buy one way or the other. :bigroll: As for the new Toyota commercials, I find them annoying and I imagine that insurance companies aren't amused.

Cadillacboy
12-03-07, 12:24 PM
I ain't keen on the brand itself :no: lol

malcolm
12-03-07, 03:14 PM
Maybe a GM commercial with a mushroom cloud over a Toyota factory will get a few laughs.

Sinister Angel
12-03-07, 06:34 PM
I can't say that any automobile commercial has ever had any impact on my decision to buy one way or the other. :bigroll: As for the new Toyota commercials, I find them annoying and I imagine that insurance companies aren't amused.

Wooo, yeah! ****in trashing my GM to collect insurance money! w00w00!

caddycruiser
12-04-07, 12:35 AM
The product should be good enough to advertise itself.. just take the new Malibu for example.. while I thought the last Malibu commercials were really clever... the new ones basically just show the car and nothing else... that right there shows that GM knows they've got a good product...

Toyota should be worried, very worried... they poked the sleeping giant.. and they're seeing the repercussions. The Mailbu is merely a shot across the bow.

Good, single point. Some of the biggest logs on the fire, again as an example, are things like the chief editor of Car and Driver not only promoting that the new Malibu is on their Top 10 list...but coming out on TV and elsewhere and specifically saying "we think the new Malibu is BETTER than the Camry".

There are many other examples, and at the same time, you can understand the messages Toyota is quietly trying to send with some of these commercials.

Marketing is a big thing for nearly everything...and though few will probably think much of new commercials like this, those that do will get the message. So, essentially, it's already a bit of success.