: Datsun trucks and ChooChoo Trains

Submariner409
12-02-07, 09:05 PM
Watching a couple of NFL games this afternoon, Datsun (Nissan) launched an ad consisting of the most incredibly stupid 15 seconds of hype you will ever see. (Worse than the swinging beams or canyon drop...)

A 3360 HP diesel-electric locomotive A-unit is hooked to a Datsun Titan truck frame with a chain bridle. The locomotive begins to leave the roundhouse and, as the chain pays out, pulls the truck frame up against a vertical I-beam, similar to trying to bend a Popsicle stick around one finger with the other hands' index finger and thumb.

The frame doesn't bend one iota. The bridle D-link and chains break as the locomotive wheezes. A truck body falls from heaven and lands on the frame, which drives off.

BATGUANO.

LS1Mike
12-02-07, 09:22 PM
That truck is weak.

Playdrv4me
12-02-07, 09:35 PM
These days, calling Nissan "Datsun", is an insult to Datsun.

LS1Mike
12-02-07, 10:10 PM
These days, calling Nissan "Datsun", is an insult to Datsun.

Ha, now that is funny, because it is the truth.

Submariner409
12-02-07, 10:24 PM
Back in the Dark Ages (mid 50's) the first Datsuns began arriving in the U.S. I was working part time during high school as a parts runner and grease monkey at a small shop in downtown DC (Georgetown). The first cars were a mechanical and maintenance nightmare. One model was a Datsun Dream, a 6-cyl 4-spd double (Triple?) side draft carbureted screamer. It was fast as h... but broke a lot. Many years later, the name "Datsun" was slowly dropped and the manufacturer, Nissan, began using their name on the line, just as would happen if Cadillac disappeared and became "General Motors CTS". ...or GMC CTS......

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 10:28 PM
Interesting side note.

Toyotas were initially sold here as Toyopets, but their founder decided to change the name in the mid '60s to Toyota, a name which he (Toyoda) thought would fair better in the US. I'd say so!

Submariner409
12-02-07, 10:33 PM
:sneaky: On the other hand, being a typical male chauvinist pig, the Cadillac ad with the red CTS turning on a stunning brunette at 65 mph in the tunnel is perfectly OK..........

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 10:43 PM
Oh, yeah, Noooooo problems with that commerical at all...none at all. :D

AMGoff
12-02-07, 10:44 PM
:sneaky: On the other hand, being a typical male chauvinist pig, the Cadillac ad with the red CTS turning on a stunning brunette at 65 mph in the tunnel is perfectly OK..........

Mmmm... Kate Walsh...

EB4_iIxxSE0

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 10:51 PM
She's got the greatest voice....

Submariner409
12-02-07, 10:54 PM
Yeah, well...blonde - brunette..........doesn't much matter when you're depraved on account of being deprived.........:D

AMGoff
12-02-07, 11:04 PM
She's got the greatest voice....

Her voice is the least of her attributes I'm most enamored with... that being said, I certainly wouldn't shoo her away for whispering naughty nothings in my ear.

dkozloski
12-02-07, 11:04 PM
Watching a couple of NFL games this afternoon, Datsun (Nissan) launched an ad consisting of the most incredibly stupid 15 seconds of hype you will ever see. (Worse than the swinging beams or canyon drop...)

A 3360 HP diesel-electric locomotive A-unit is hooked to a Datsun Titan truck frame with a chain bridle. The locomotive begins to leave the roundhouse and, as the chain pays out, pulls the truck frame up against a vertical I-beam, similar to trying to bend a Popsicle stick around one finger with the other hands' index finger and thumb.

The frame doesn't bend one iota. The bridle D-link and chains break as the locomotive wheezes. A truck body falls from heaven and lands on the frame, which drives off.

BATGUANO.
The story line is plausible depending on the geometry of the hookup. I think you could make it work, but I'll bet that if I hooked it up the Datsun would bend into a pretzel.