: Land Rovers and Jaguars will smell like curry instead of Connolly.

Jesda
12-02-07, 11:20 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10479205

A New Zealand paper claims that Jaguar and Land Rover were officially sold a few days ago, and they think it was to Tata. Last I heard, Tata was having a hard time coming up with the financing. I guess they succeeded.

An ironic reversal of the British Empire.

Cadillacboy
12-02-07, 01:24 PM
holy shit

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 02:08 PM
Doesn't Tata make the cheapest cars sold in Europe?

Think of it like the Indian Daewoo.

Playdrv4me
12-02-07, 02:56 PM
This will go down as one of the stupidest moves in Ford's history. Not only did they put the future of two very historied brands in serious jeapordy (read, bad PR later on), they actually firesale'd a PROFITABLE one. Land Rover has been making money since at least the inception of the LR3, and the LR2's are selling well.

slk230mb
12-02-07, 04:22 PM
This will go down as one of the stupidest moves in Ford's history. Not only did they put the future of two very historied brands in serious jeapordy (read, bad PR later on), they actually firesale'd a PROFITABLE one. Land Rover has been making money since at least the inception of the LR3, and the LR2's are selling well.

When was the last time Ford got commended for making a good decision?

Silver Dollar
12-02-07, 04:36 PM
Doesn't Tata make the cheapest cars sold in Europe?

Looks pretty cheap to me.....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t0sYAjAwL._AA240_.jpg

Playdrv4me
12-02-07, 04:40 PM
When was the last time Ford got commended for making a good decision?

Funny you should mention that.... The last GOOD decision Ford actually made was the ACQUISITION of LR for PENNIES from BMW in 2000. BMW basically GAVE millions in R&D to ford because the current Range Rover project was 90% wrapped when Ford took over LR(Not to mention the chief engineer on the RR project, who also hopped to Ford at this time to see his "baby" through). They then turned it straight into profit when the model was introduced in europe in 2002, only providing bmw a small royalty for the 4.4L BMW V8. Once the discovery was finally laid to rest... the brand began to collect REAL momentum.

It is truly one of the FEW times a european acquisition by a domestic marque has proven TRULY successful. Ironically contrasted most dramatically by Jaguar which has never made a dime.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-02-07, 09:10 PM
Looks pretty cheap to me.....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t0sYAjAwL._AA240_.jpg

I like big titties as much as the next guy, but Christ almighty, you've gotta draw the line somewhere!

Playdrv4me
12-02-07, 09:16 PM
That looks like a dude.

77CDV
12-03-07, 01:13 AM
I like big titties as much as the next guy, but Christ almighty, you've gotta draw the line somewhere!
This is what happens when NHTSA takes the SRS regs to the extreme.....:bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-03-07, 01:22 AM
Whaaaaaaat? :confused:

AMGoff
12-03-07, 01:28 AM
Funny you should mention that.... The last GOOD decision Ford actually made was the ACQUISITION of LR for PENNIES from BMW in 2000. BMW basically GAVE millions in R&D to ford because the current Range Rover project was 90% wrapped when Ford took over LR(Not to mention the chief engineer on the RR project, who also hopped to Ford at this time to see his "baby" through). They then turned it straight into profit when the model was introduced in europe in 2002, only providing bmw a small royalty for the 4.4L BMW V8. Once the discovery was finally laid to rest... the brand began to collect REAL momentum.

It is truly one of the FEW times a european acquisition by a domestic marque has proven TRULY successful. Ironically contrasted most dramatically by Jaguar which has never made a dime.

As much as I still think Jag makes absolutely beautiful cars, they should have been retired to the history books along with British-Leyland.

This however isn't the stupidest possible move Ford could make... if they were to follow through on the rumored sale of Volvo - THAT would take the cake.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-03-07, 01:33 AM
This is what happens when NHTSA takes the SRS regs to the extreme.....:bouncy:

Oh I get it...national highway traffic safety commission and airbags...

I gotcha! :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
12-03-07, 01:37 AM
I think that's been rumoured for awhile... on and off.

The consensus every time seems to be that Volvo is far too entwined in Ford's safety strategy and also physically with many Ford lines.

The previous generation S80 for example provided the entire mechanical basis for the Ford Five-Hundred and Mercury Montego, at least chassis-wise. Many of the safety technologies Ford is so heavily touting these days are also the direct result of collaboration (or theft if you want to call it that) with Volvo. Their RSC/Roll Stability Control is just one of the many innovations they've sucked right out of Volvo.

In turn, Volvo products are slowly being transformed by Fords as well. The S40 of course is a European market Focus. And if you want to look even further, the new Land Rover LR2 is also a direct descendant of the S80, and actually uses the powertrain from that car.

At this point though... Nothing would surprise me. Ford has really disappointed me lately. PAG had problems, but Land Rover, Aston Martin and Volvo have been profitable and who knows, maybe they've even been responsible for keeping that giant afloat a time or two. Land Rover and Aston Martin were wet dreams acquired under the Nasser administration, which oddly enough, actually MADE MONEY (Aston moreso toward the end).

To just turn around and firesale everything in a time of trouble is an extremely poor business strategy, and hurts the brand's integrity, both Ford's and those they are selling. We all know that in our small-scale lives, "throwing money at the problem" NEVER fixes ANYTHING. Sure, the books will look good for a few quarters... but the problems that created the red tape in the first place are still there, so what the hell is the point?

Aston Martin.... OK... I was sad to see it go, but I understand it did not quite fit within Ford's portfolio or roadmap all that well. Jaguar? It's actually losing money and has been for a while...FINE, cut that bitch loose. But to lump Land Rover in as a way to make Jaguar LOOK more attractive to a prospective buyer *really* infuriated me, *ESPECIALLY* when you consider that Ford TURNED DOWN a SOLID offer from Britain's JCB Construction group for Jaguar ALONE (which would also have kept Jaguar under British ownership!!!). As an owner and former owner of both Ford and Ford PAG products... I was very disappointed by all this.

The Tony Show
12-03-07, 04:13 PM
Bah- no pictures of Jennifer Connolly here.

Moving on......

Silver Dollar
12-03-07, 04:21 PM
...... if they were to follow through on the rumored sale of Volvo - THAT would take the cake.

They gotta sell something because they sure aren't selling any cars.

Jesda
12-20-07, 06:28 PM
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/industry/tata-wins-bid-for-jaguar-and-land-rover/

Its officially official now.

77CDV
12-21-07, 12:16 AM
So will Jags and Rovers now have slurpee holders?

dkozloski
12-21-07, 03:18 PM
If they smell like curry they're doomed. My wife brought some home the other day and it about drove me out of the house. It smelled like something very nasty got burned on the stove.

malcolm
12-21-07, 03:26 PM
Holy crap a pair of fun bags bought Jaguar and Land Rover!

77CDV
12-22-07, 07:14 PM
But just think how nice and cushy the ride will be!