: Help Having A Heart Attack! P039 / TRanny?

djp
12-02-07, 08:15 AM
Car was running fine, havnt felt any slippage, out of no where car started slipping badly, service engine light come on, code p039 ( converter clutch ), so i park the car, let it sit for 5 minutes, went to go check tranny fluid, and the car didnt want to switch out of first gear on the way home from the gas station, it doesnt want to move past like 10mph now.

do i need a whole new tranny or just the torque converter? or could it be something else... any help please!

caddydaddy
12-02-07, 06:55 PM
That doesn't sound good. Was the P039 the only code? That only applies when the trans is in 4th gear and it locks up the converter for better fuel mileage. It shouldn't have anything to do with shifting. I'd get it to a trans shop for an estimate/diagnosis!

Zorb750
12-08-07, 02:29 PM
Probably something was on its way out and generating debris which altered the sensor reading that sets the P039.

patterson
01-01-08, 12:36 AM
Hey Zorb or CaddyDaddy, I got the P039 code today on my 95 Eldorado ESC. Car runs great shifts just fine, although have a slight delay when going from Reverse to Drive in a parking lot. The delay is very slight so I just let her do her thing. Doesn't really bother me...It takes like 3 secs, seems almost normal.

BTW, (this is background info), I do my WOT's in 2nd gear weekly when getting on the HWY. They say the Northstar was made to be used so I use her good when I get the chance. I assume the trans was meant to be used too. Car has 125,000 miles and I just replaced the EGR yesterday.

that was kind of a bitch with that little fuel line bracket in the way but Whatever...done!

Anyway, I generally drive around the city in OverDrive. Should I keep her in 3rd gear unless I'm getting over 55mph???

I understand transmissions work on pressure and letting it ride in OD may not be allowing for enough pressure to build up b4 gear shifts and thus working the trans harder than need be.

I'm new to the Cadillac scene but I'm hooked like a fish!

New Year's resolution: buy a 96 or later Fleetwood Brougham.........Black on black!

shawn
95 Eldorado ESC
Black on Black

caddydaddy
01-01-08, 02:16 AM
Check the Technical Service Bulletins for the P039 code. If I remember right, the 94 and 95 Northstar cars had a PCM problem that caused the P039 code to show up when the transmission aged. The problem was the PCM didn't allow the transmission enough time to engage the torque converter clutch, so it set the code. I had this problem on my 1994 Deville Concours, and with an updated PCM the code never reappeared. I'll see if I can find the TSB for this.
I'd keep the shift lever in Drive at all times unless you need engine braking or are towing.

Also, 1996 was the last year of the Fleetwood Brougham, so you'll have to search for a 1996 or earlier one! Shouldn't be too hard though.

Zorb750
01-01-08, 08:11 PM
Check the Technical Service Bulletins for the P039 code. If I remember right, the 94 and 95 Northstar cars had a PCM problem that caused the P039 code to show up when the transmission aged. The problem was the PCM didn't allow the transmission enough time to engage the torque converter clutch, so it set the code. I had this problem on my 1994 Deville Concours, and with an updated PCM the code never reappeared. I'll see if I can find the TSB for this.
I'd keep the shift lever in Drive at all times unless you need engine braking or are towing.

Also, 1996 was the last year of the Fleetwood Brougham, so you'll have to search for a 1996 or earlier one! Shouldn't be too hard though.

The fix for the software program was a revised memcal with a longer engagement timeout before the code was triggered.

1993-1995 cars are also known for the TCC solenoid failing. It's toward the bottom, behind the side panel. It IS doable in the car.