: 97 Catera Tune-Up

firemedicmonkey
12-02-07, 04:24 AM
I just purchased a 1997 Catera, from a friend and from what I can tell it needs a tune-up to start things off. The check engine light is on and the codes show that it has a miss fire on cylinders 1 and 4. I have been searching around the internet and local parts shops for tune up parts. I was wonder what are the best parts to get and what parts to avoid. Below is a list of the parts I think I need and if you guys have any opinions on brands etc.

Spark Plug Wires, Spark Plugs, Trans-Filter, Trans Fluid, Fuel Filter,

Thanks

Rich

ariza034
12-03-07, 11:33 PM
good luck ur gonna get raped

yellowxhoodie
12-04-07, 12:19 PM
good luck ur gonna get raped

hahahaha. o yesss. i was tried of the rapage so im selling mine. You might want to also check the belts and gaskets on that thing.

firemedicmonkey
12-04-07, 03:39 PM
Yeah I gathered that from this site and the prices I have been getting. It's too-late to get out of it right now so I have to get it running better. What is the best way to go on spark plug wires? Magna cor or Ac-delco, or something else. How about plugs, and other tune-up parts any recomendations on brands, places to purchase etc?

cateraowner
12-04-07, 03:56 PM
brands don't really matter with this car. it's pretty much, get what you can get for the cheapest you can. there isn't much selection, plus not enough of us to figure out what's good and what's bad.

only thing is DO I YOURSELF.... or you'll pay out the ASS.... my experience is that most independent shops know nothing about catera, so you'd have to bring it to the dealership. and at $100+ /hr labour, it'll cost you a lot just for them to tell you that it'll cost you a lot.

good luck.

just let me know, I have an alldata account for my 98 cat. if you need instructions just let me know and I'll see what I can dig up

yellowxhoodie
12-05-07, 12:55 PM
like ive told everyone on here a million times.
DEF. try to meet someone who works at a car dealer so that they can get you parts for cheap.
my buddy works at a Chevy dealer so i get all parts for almost half of what youll pay retail, and like cateraowner said def. do the work yourself. if you are not a handy person who doesnt mind working on cars then the catera is not for you.