: first drive in snow with 2000 Catera Sport

jimjimjimjim
12-02-07, 01:15 AM
Great site!! I learned quite a bit about the Catera here.
I bought a 2000 Catera Sport a few weeks ago and love it so far. However, I was driving today in less than 2" of snow and have never had such a horrible experience. This thing was all over the place. It wouldn't go up the slightest incline, and couldn't go faster than 20 mph without sliding. It was the first time in my life I was actually scared to drive. It has FUZION ZR1 235/45R17 tires that are pretty new. I found out they aren't the best for snow and ice, but this was crazy. I plan on replacing them ASAP. Does this car drive in snow, or is it just these tires making it so bad? Any preferred tires?

Thanks,
Jim

CateraMV6
12-02-07, 03:53 AM
I am up in MI and we just got a few inches on the ground... and I got Kumho Ecsta ASX tires on it 245 45 17s on it and those suckers are pretty wide for a snow tire but i was doing great... the only problem was take offs and thats if you wanna go fast... other then that for the most part mine is pretty sweet... I was passing just about everything on the way home.... going in the unplowed lane... and it felt confident... I did have some fun while turning with it... it was a blast coming home actually. I can see how it would scare some drivers but if you know what you are doing with a RWD car you can be its boss.

I would say the tires you got are bad and you should try something with a better winter rating... maybe some dedicated snow tires... If you are switching to the Cat from a FWD car then I wouldnt be surprised as to how you might hate it... the FWD are way more confident in the snow then this thing. I guess get used to it..

Warez
12-02-07, 06:55 AM
You need proper winter tires.

nerdifiedgeek
12-02-07, 08:49 AM
I'd definately put some weight in that trunk too if you haven't already, mine didn't drive as bad after I stuck some weights back there

elvin315
12-02-07, 10:38 AM
From the Fusion site:
The Fuzion ZRi is the Fuzion brand's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed to meet the needs of sport compact and sports car driving enthusiasts and tuners. The Z-speed rated Fuzion ZRi is designed to provide crisp and responsive handling and traction in both wet and dry conditions. Like all summer tires, the ZRi is not intended to be driven in near freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

I am happy with my Michelin X-Ice winter tires.

Elvin

jimjimjimjim
12-02-07, 11:51 AM
I like driving rwd in snow. Thats not the problem! I am still shopping for the best value, and wont drive this thing in snow again until I get the new tires. I guess if you are going to drive in snow, dont use the Fuzions.

Thanks for your responses
Jim

catera00
12-02-07, 03:09 PM
Mine got stuck in the friggin driveway last winter as I was pulling in. There was about 2 inches of hard snow. Maybe my tires suck too but I hated driving in the snow with this thing. And forget about traction control. I turn that off cause thats how I got stuck, waiting for it to stop cutting the throttle back. Mines garaged for the winter due to a lovely heater core problem but I wasnt going to take it out in the snow again any way. Good luck.

Cadi Cat
12-02-07, 07:53 PM
I have all season Michelin tires on mine. It handles very well and plows through the snow, as long as I keep moving. But as soon as I come to a stop I have a hell of a time getting going again. But it's fun!

Lawrence_C
12-02-07, 11:33 PM
have you guys ever tried pressing the snow button feature in our cars?

yellowxhoodie
12-04-07, 11:17 AM
RWD will do that to you.

elvin315
12-04-07, 01:12 PM
have you guys ever tried pressing the snow button feature in our cars?

Snow Mode works only below 30 MPH. It's made to reduce the torque at the rear wheels in hopes of preventing wheelspin from a standing start. It locks out 1st & 2nd gears and uses 3rd gear to start rolling. Once over 30 MPH the Snow Mode disengages. Not perfect but it works OK. A RWD car isn't the best in snow but I drove them for years before the switch to FWD and lived to tell the tale.

Elvin

GunmetalCatera
12-04-07, 02:21 PM
I haven't gotten my Catera out of the garage yet to enjoy the snow fun in it.

cateraowner
12-04-07, 02:37 PM
take it to a large empty parking lot. it's fun, plus you'll learn what your cat will do in the snow and how to control it.

GunmetalCatera
12-05-07, 12:03 AM
did it today.................................FUN!!!!!!! not that I havent done it before.

pradoblings
12-05-07, 09:00 AM
Just one piece of advice when going through parking lots real fast in deep snow, watch out for the little parking spot bumpers!! I've ran over them a few times and it doesn't feel too good.

yellowxhoodie
12-05-07, 11:51 AM
i would rather have RWD over FWD anyday in the winter.
im selling the catera to get an 08 Scion most likely,
and the only thing that im really really dreading is the RWD to FWD change.
i hate fwd.

GunmetalCatera
12-05-07, 12:32 PM
I like how this is one of the lightest RWD cars I've driven in the snow it actually handles snow loads better than my 88 Grand Marquis did. Too bad I don't have a V8 in my Catera.

cateraowner
12-05-07, 02:45 PM
I like how this is one of the lightest RWD cars I've driven in the snow it actually handles snow loads better than my 88 Grand Marquis did. Too bad I don't have a V8 in my Catera.

hahah this is the first time I've ever hear the catera refered to as light... hhahhah but I guess if you compare it to a grand marquis

GunmetalCatera
12-06-07, 03:04 AM
What do they weigh in at anyway? Can't be terribly heavy.

frmg0014
12-06-07, 09:51 AM
I got the EXACT tires as you and my 2001 Cat sport drives good in the winter. I mean I know it is RWD, but and the tires aren't exactly good on the snow, but I never was scared to drive it, or did it slide out of control in the snow thanks to the traction control. My gf's dad has a 92 Mazda MPV RWD with snow tires (no TSC) on the other hand and that thing is not fun to drive in the snow. It gets stuck easily. If you ever stop or slow down in some snow, there is a good chance you will get stuck.

jimjimjimjim
12-06-07, 04:49 PM
I went with the BF Goodrich Traction T/A. I had them installed last night and we still have snow and ice on the roads. Wow, what a difference!!! Its a totally new car!!!

CateraMV6
12-07-07, 03:18 PM
Here is what I use in the snow and they are absolutely amazing...

They have about 10K on them so far and tread is still like new...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/Winter/IMG_0636s.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/Winter/IMG_0638.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/Winter/IMG_0632s.jpg

CADILACDAN
12-10-07, 11:21 AM
get aset of dunlopp grasspic ds2 snowtires there greaaat

PEETYZ
12-15-07, 11:22 AM
Mine does well unless 4+ inches well maybe 3+ i have Lemans Champion Hr tires made by firestone 225/55/r16 and there pretty good and a great deal at around 80 bucks a tire at local firestone dealer

Kcryan
12-15-07, 11:31 AM
RWD with TCS and ABS and a decent set of snows and you'll be fine, my old cat did it no problem, i actually used to cheat and use all seasons, but in broke down at one point and got snows, def worth the $$$, My current 325i with snows and rwd does great to