: N* programmer?

ntheblak
12-01-07, 11:41 PM
new to this site & a first time deville owner. its a 97 w/N* & I was wondering if there is a way to detune it to run on a lower octane but b able to switch it back if loaded & on a trip like n the mountains. In the ford performance side there r things like flip switches & piggy backs to enable this to b done. Not having luck finding one for the N*. Anyone know? thanx.

Ranger
12-01-07, 11:51 PM
:welcome:
This is a Cadillac, not a Ford.;) No need to detune anything. Just fill it with regular and drive it. The PCM will do the rest. Do a search for "octane". It's been discussed many, many times.

CadillacSTS42005
12-02-07, 12:05 AM
ahhahahaha

ntheblak
12-02-07, 10:37 AM
so, the 97 will adjust for 87 oct even if the car says prem. fuel only? any changes in driving that I would have to do? I could always put 92 oct if loaded for a trip. Thanx for the help. I just got this garage kept deville ,one owner w/92k. Its my first cad & i love it.

Submariner409
12-02-07, 10:44 AM
There are no add-on chips or programmers of any sort for the '97 N* series. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will read knock sensor input and advance or retard timing as needed.

Spend a long, winter day in these forums and the tech archives up top ^^, do some searches for keywords with the "search" function in the upper right toolbar at the page top. Every question you may have is covered in excruciating detail. Welcome, and have fun. We're all a bit off (in here)......!

ntheblak
12-02-07, 11:08 AM
OFF? i've found another home then! I've been looking at search "octane" & it's been a lot of help. U know of anything about getting a little better cornering out of this thing? I mean in the way it gives the bouncing body role. its not bad but would love for it to b more controlled like my parents E class mercedes. might b asking a lot but i figure its worth a try. I'm verry capable of doing it myself. thanx again! pat

Submariner409
12-02-07, 11:11 AM
ntheblack, Search for one of our members named HITMONEY. He has one sweet deVille and knows how to make it run and corner.

ntheblak
12-02-07, 11:18 AM
big thanx!