: GM Certified Tech ?

SoundAdvantage
05-05-04, 03:48 AM
This Link was found while doing a search on General Motors engines, just so you don't think i made it up. I guess it's from the view point of a Certified GM Technican in regards to LSB#130020260

http://www.flatrater.com/Build_it_Right_Bulletin.pdf

BeelzeBob
05-06-04, 05:17 PM
Another guy that I can't understand.....he makes his living (supposedly) working on GM cars and most of his work is probably warranty work. All these "problems" that he rants in his bulletin about put food on his table. If the cars were perfect he would not be needed and he could rant about standing in the un-employment line. What exactly is his problem I wonder. Want's to get paid to stand around and do nothing...????

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you......what a fool.

On the other hand......

My neighbor owns a fairly large transmission shop in Detroit. He started the shop many years ago. He apparently does OK....nice house, sold controlling interest in the business to his employees and retired at 42........ He mentioned to me one day in passing that he still says thanks in his prayers to GM and Chrysler and Ford for some of the transmissions that they made....LOL. Never bad mouths them at all....quite the contrary....but obviously realizes that without "those" transmissions he would not have become wealthy.....

SoundAdvantage
05-07-04, 05:24 AM
I hear ya bbob, Sometimes i wonder if thats why Cadillac threw the 4.9 Litre V-8s to the curb and came out with the HotRod Northstar engines that only have about 1/2 the life expectancy of the 4.9, yet look at all the $$$ the Dealers and GM Parts stores are making on them. The local Cadillac Dealership Brown Bros. Cadillac said they rarely ever see a Cadillac with a 4.9 come in to their Service Dept. Could this be that they are just out numbered ? or is it that the N* engines break down more? From what i have heard the 4.9 engines would go 300,000 miles when properly serviced and maintained. Yet the Northstar engines are only good for 150,000. I have been around mechanics all my life bbob, i have a 1955 Harley my Dad Custom built that has dual carbs molded into two separate intake manifolds which he done himself on the left side of the engine. The bike will run 170+ MPH >You have to admit thats pretty fast for a 55' Panhead, he turned 150mph 1/4 mile runs with it also. I have a good friend who just built a 5 second 1/8 mile Pro Street Mustang. The only thing "Street" about the car is it has Kentucky tags >where the parashute should be. I guess my point being, High Performance engines come with a high price, yet don't seem to last as long as we think they should compared to the money we spend on them. This works well for The Automotive and Aftermarket Business but not so well for the Consumer.

El Dobro
05-07-04, 03:01 PM
The last 4.9 Caddy was made in 1995 so that contributes to the lack of them showing up at the dealer, plus the fact that some Caddy dealers don't even want to work on the older models(which I've personally experienced) doesn't help.
There's nothing wrong with either engine, it's just evolution. They don't make flathead V16's anymore because they become outdated for modern applications, especially when the government gets involved.

99Zee28
05-07-04, 03:32 PM
Another guy that I can't understand.....he makes his living (supposedly) working on GM cars and most of his work is probably warranty work. All these "problems" that he rants in his bulletin about put food on his table. If the cars were perfect he would not be needed and he could rant about standing in the un-employment line. What exactly is his problem I wonder. Want's to get paid to stand around and do nothing...????

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you......what a fool.

On the other hand......

My neighbor owns a fairly large transmission shop in Detroit. He started the shop many years ago. He apparently does OK....nice house, sold controlling interest in the business to his employees and retired at 42........ He mentioned to me one day in passing that he still says thanks in his prayers to GM and Chrysler and Ford for some of the transmissions that they made....LOL. Never bad mouths them at all....quite the contrary....but obviously realizes that without "those" transmissions he would not have become wealthy.....
So to keep these technicians employeed GM must build sub-par automobiles? What about time off of work when a GM car breaks down leaving the owner un-able to get to work. What about the employer who now has to compensate for the lack of an employee? How about the 18 year old girl driving through a bad neighborhood to get to her College in Chicago, only to have her car break down and leave her in a compromising position? How bout any business that utilizes automobiles. Do you think they're not put in a compromising position when their vehicles do not function?

I know cars will break down. It's a machine, it's going to happen. But there are ways to build them with higher quality to lessen the likelyhood of failure. When GM, or any company (not just automobiles), know that a design is faulty yet release it to the general public knowing failure is inevitable, that's just wrong in my opinion. What matters most in the end? The bottom dollar. Unfortunately many of us have paid for this. What ya gonna do? Nothing I guess. Deal with it!

I get what you're saying, the mechanic should not complain about what pays his bills. I don't think the mechanic was complaining so much about doing his job but how GM's lack of quality hurts consumers. It's as if he wrote this as a consumer, not an employee.

Rip my post apart now Bbob! The guy who knows all yet won't even let us in on where he recieved all his knowledge! You can be anyone on a message board. Maybe I'll make a new name and claim to be an engineer for Cadillac. Then I can tell you guys to put oil in your gas tank, it lubricates your injectors, and you'll listen to me! :lildevil:

Later,
Dave

BeelzeBob
05-07-04, 04:37 PM
So to keep these technicians employeed GM must build sub-par automobiles? What about time off of work when a GM car breaks down leaving the owner un-able to get to work.

Rip my post apart now Bbob! The guy who knows all yet won't even let us in on where he recieved all his knowledge! You can be anyone on a message board. Maybe I'll make a new name and claim to be an engineer for Cadillac. Then I can tell you guys to put oil in your gas tank, it lubricates your injectors, and you'll listen to me! :lildevil:

Later,
Dave
Now that I know how bad you want to know I'll NEVER tell who I am.....LOL

I wasn't meaning in any way to imply that GM or anyone should build sub-par vehicles to keep the techs busy.....DUH....but, you caught my point, that why complain about the thing that pays your bills and run it down in the public eye.

I have couple of pet peeves that are frequently evident:

One is the fact that every intenet forum on whatever subject becomes nothing but a bitch session for someone that has a problem. The thousands that don't have the problem never look up the website. Reading any website you would expect that every single one of product xxxxxx has 20 potential instant certain failures waiting to happen....LOL... Obviously this is not true. Websites are a great source of information...that has to be taken with a large grain of salt. They are NOT a scientific survey of product quality or performance.

The other is the pervasive attitude of many techs and mechanics and such that ALL the products that they work on are junk. Naturally, they see problem cases. That is the reason that the car drove into the shop...and that is why the tech has a job there. Just becuase one or two of the vehicles he sees has a specific problem does NOT mean that they ALL will have the problem....nor does it mean that the car was poorly designed or not tested or made of poor materials. There has to be an understanding that the vehicles seen at any given time with a problem represent a very small percentage of the total vehicle production so the problems have to be put into perspective.

Just my philisophical venting.....

99Zee28
05-07-04, 05:10 PM
Just becuase one or two of the vehicles he sees has a specific problem does NOT mean that they ALL will have the problem....nor does it mean that the car was poorly designed or not tested or made of poor materials. There has to be an understanding that the vehicles seen at any given time with a problem represent a very small percentage of the total vehicle production so the problems have to be put into perspective.

Just my philisophical venting.....
No, it does not mean that they all will have that same problem but when a certain problem occurs at a given percent of the time, when is it considered a problem or a design flaw?

I know with the LT1 engines the intake manifold is prone to leaking! I had a leak on the front of the intake and then later after about 1,000 miles (had not gotten the front fixed yet) the back leaked. Bran new 1997 Camaro Z28 with only 16,000 miles on it. I later found out that seems to be a common problem with the LT1. Common as to what percent though? 5%, 20%, 50%? I don't know. What percent would you constitute a design flaw? My opinion would probably be around 20-30%! If 30% of LT1's have intake leaks within' the first 30,000 miles, I'd consider that a design flaw. And of course, as Bbob said, you only hear about the things going wrong with these cars, that's mostly why we're all on this or any other board. It's like the saying, a Satified Customer tells only 1-2 people of their good experience, while an unsatisfied customer will tell 20. Same thing goes on here.

To tell you guys the truth, I've had really good luck with my Eldorado. The only problem that was costly was injectors. When I bought the car in April of 02 with 24,000 miles, it had several bad injectors. Those were costly, but aside from that, 3 alternators and a new Cataletic Convertor is not bad within' a period of 2 years and 50,000 miles. I'd have to say it's been pretty damn reliable. Never once left me stranded or even close to being stranded!

Later,
Dave

caddyshack24
05-07-04, 09:15 PM
I also came accross some interestng information..
Pertaining to the mid-seal leak on the NorthStar
( http://www.misterfixit.com/northstr.htm )

"Thought your readers would like to know that the above has an apparent design flaw which allows a serious and potentially dangerous oil leak from the upper to the lower crankcase in this split block
(made of aluminum) engine. Cadillac mechanics (speaking strictly off the record) acknowledge that this is a serious problem which occurs mainly in engines over 100,000 miles, but they have seen it in Caddies as early as 25,000 miles. There is nothing an owner can do to prevent the problem and the repair cost $1,800 which includes 18 hours of labor. It is so costly due the need to drop the transmission and remove the engine from the motor mounts to make the repair. Cadillac will not even discuss this with owners (I have the problem with a '94 Seville with 66,800 miles) and refuses to admit that this is a problem even though the NHTSA has numerous Technical Service Bulletins regarding the leaks beginning in 1993 model year. The leaks can cause engine compartment fires.
Here are the NHTS Service Bulletin #'s, all of which have to do with oil leaks in the Northstar engine: 477278(1/1/94); 316110A(5/94); 476003(6/94); 470201(5/94); and NHTS Office Of Defects Investigation I.D.#808063-Odor of burning oil from a/c and heat ducts in passenger compartment. The next numbers are Cadillac Technical Service Bulletins to their dealers dealing with oil leaks: 35. SB676111(4/96)-eng oil leaks from upper to lower crankcase; 78. SB576111(5/95)-Oil leak at rear main seal &/or T joint; 44. SB476003A(1/96)-Engine oil leaks/identification/svc procedure. I have experienced the "low oil pressure", odor in passenger compartment, and serious smoke from the engine compartment. It seems that a definite and persistent problem is occurring and that Cadillac is stonewalling. Regards,

Patrick T. Hickey"

/me adds another log to the fire

elwesso
05-08-04, 12:17 AM
Simmer down you all, or this thread will be closed!!!

99Zee28
05-08-04, 01:06 AM
Simmer down you all, or this thread will be closed!!!Uh oh, we have the FCC closing in on us! First Radio, now Caddy Message Boards! I'm not going to get fined $500,000 now, am I? :helpless:

:banghead:

J/K!

Later,
Dave

elwesso
05-08-04, 01:24 AM
Yes you are. You can paypal that money to elwesso@insightbb.com

Koz
05-09-04, 01:23 AM
Caddy should back their cars better instead they make you feel like its an honor to have your beast in the shop all the time.

RBraczyk
05-09-04, 01:53 AM
I love GM. Mr. Goodwrench is a blowhard i must say. Sry wes.

SoundAdvantage
05-11-04, 04:12 AM
Caddy should back their cars better instead they make you feel like its an honor to have your beast in the shop all the time.

If i recall i just read a Thread a Moderator started about the "Northstars Shortcommings" :hmm: These Cadillac forums should be a place for frustrated Cadillac owners to come and Vent their problems. The more experienced Cadillac owners and Techs and Engineers and Moderators >should be willing to share their experiences and knowledge with the others to "Help" them with their cars problems. These are Discussions Not Arguments as some people refer to them as. Unfortunitly for us we don't live in a perfect world> it's become very high tech and machines do fail from time to time. There are so many variables when it comes to cars and the problems they have. If i bought a "NEW CAR" but it was a Demo with only just under 1,000 miles on the engine, i would expect that car to be perfectly good right? and last for years to come trouble free right? I just paid 55 Grand for it so it better right? How many people Test drove that car before i bought it? How did they drive it when they test drove it? Was the engine broke in properly or HotRodded before it had a chance to be break in. Was it one of the 1st production year vehichles? Or if was a used Cadillac, how many owners did it have before me? Did a Teenager ever get behind the wheel? :helpless: The list goes on and on. Cadillac has alway's been a car ahead of it's time, They are one of the most Technologically Advanced automobiles on the Planet. So aside from the things we have already experienced with owning our Cadillacs, we all need to look at this as a "Learning" Experience of better understanding these automobiles and Help one another solve our challenges. If i won the Lottery the next time i bought a ticket, after i cashed it in, One of my first stops would be my local Cadillac Dealership so i could custom order my new "Cars" :) P E A C E