: Is it possible?

pearlsts206
12-01-07, 03:09 AM
I am looking to install a new engine in my 1994 STS.. My question is if its possible to remove the engine and tranny through the top instead of dropping the cradle. I am trying to figure out the best and quickest way to go about this. I will be changing out the engine and tranny. i understand this isnt a one day thing, but I also dont want it to be a couple week thing. What i am hoping i can do is spend one day unhooking everything then about 2 removing the old and installing the new and 1 more day plugging everything back in. I need help. If it has to come out the bottom whats the best way to get the car that high in the air. I have a floor jack and a engine hoist.

Thanks for whatever you guys provide all suggestions are welcome

misfit6794
12-01-07, 09:15 AM
If you are replacing both the engine and tranny you pretty much gotta drop it out the bottom, its damn near impossible to get it out the top. THe entire subframe needs to come out the bottom. What you could do is disconnect everything, then use the engine hoist or floor jack to lift the fron of the car up over the subframe (leave the subframe on the ground). Then roll out the sub from under the car, and let the car back down.

Ranger
12-01-07, 12:48 PM
Definitely out the bottom from everything I have heard. I think there may be a tutorial in the Tech Tips section. I am sure someone who has done it before will also chime in.

pearlsts206
12-01-07, 03:17 PM
Thanks for responding before I got myself into trouble guys.