: No Country For Old Men?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-30-07, 10:17 PM
Can someone explain what the moral of the story was? I didn't get it. Did anyone else see it? I saw it and left confused and somewhat scared....looks like West Texas in 1980 wasn't such a friendly place... lol.

But on the plus side, like most other Coen brothers movies, it does a brilliant job of making a setting feel as realistic as humanly possible. Like when I watched Fargo, I felt like I was honest to god in Northern MN in the middle of January. Same with No Country For Old Men....they did such a great job with all of the details....from all the 4x4's and pickup trucks from that era, to the decor in Llewelyn's trailer home, to the attire of the main characters. The movie was done very well....but the plot, especially the ending made little sense to me, and the moral of the story was lost to me...six days later and I still don't get it.

gdwriter
12-01-07, 12:40 AM
Can someone explain what the moral of the story was? I didn't get it. Did anyone else see it? I saw it and left confused and somewhat scared....looks like West Texas in 1980 wasn't such a friendly place... lol.I haven't seen the movie, but having grown up in West Texas (and getting the hell out of Dodge immediately after graduating college 20 years ago), I can say it's definitely a harsh country, both in a literal and figurative sense. There are good people there, as there are just about anywhere, but it's not a welcoming place for people who are different or non-conformist (and I'm both).

dkozloski
12-01-07, 02:19 AM
It seems to me that somebody told me it was so damn dry a jackrabbit wouldn't try crossing it without a box lunch and a canteen.

Playdrv4me
12-01-07, 03:23 AM
There's not supposed to be a "moral" to it. It is what it is and that's it. According to the friend I went to see it with, it is one of the most faithful book adaptations there has ever been. In fact, it goes a little too far in it's homage to the book.

Basically, bad dude is a bad dude and he gets away with it, and other people cant always save the day. Then, when you think the world might set things straight and induce some justice of it's own... nope, everyone is still f*cked.

Thats all there is to it.

I also thought the movie was extremely faithful to the era. The only errors I noticed were the Carls Jr. sign and the Wells Fargo sign in two different scenes. The cars were pretty spot-on.