: Buying a used luxury car?? BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-30-07, 09:37 PM
I found out today how good extended warranties are.

I took my car into the dealer for that T-stat issue, knowing that was covered. When they were doing that work, they saw I had an oil leak that was coming down the side of the block, so upon further diagnosis, it seems as though the oil leak is coming from the headgasket. Meaning the headgasket is on it's way out. Unlike GM headgaskets (and pretty much every other one), when this one goes, it leaks oil externally, and that's the only side effect. The coolant level is not affected one bit, nor will it overheat. So I can drive it with a bad head gasket and not have to worry one bit about it over heating. Now it's not leaking much oil, and the oil level isn't low, so I don't have to worry about it now.

Now when I bought this car, Ian and Jesda both highly recommended that I buy an extended service contract for this car, because we all knew that the repairs can and will get prohibitively expensive for these types of cars. I kept putting it off, and I almost didn't buy it, but thank god I did because this is a very expensive repair, and let's just say that warranty paid for it's self.

There are two major and somewhat common repairs in this type of Mercedes...the headgaskets and the air conditioning evaporator. I made damn sure that the warranty would cover both of them before I bought it, and thankfully it does. Actually, when I bought the contract, I was sorta hoping that one of those two would go, just so I would get good usage out of the contract.

So to anyone who will ever buy another used car, especially a luxury one, whether it be domestic or import, it's always a good idea to buy a service contract. So instead of paying god knows what for a repair, you just pay the deductible, which is usually $100-$200. I know I won't buy a luxury car without one.

LS1Mike
11-30-07, 09:56 PM
That is an odd headgasket, how could it not blow near the water jacket ever?
At anyrate good thing you had the warranty.

gary88
11-30-07, 10:21 PM
So much for that headgasket being on too tight

AMGoff
12-01-07, 01:17 AM
Who did you go through for your extended warranty?

Destroyer
12-01-07, 01:49 AM
That is an odd headgasket, how could it not blow near the water jacket ever?
At anyrate good thing you had the warranty.That is strange.:cookoo:

Playdrv4me
12-01-07, 03:35 AM
The company that Chad used is Fidelity, backed by the JM&A Group. As far as extended service contracts for autos go, they are pretty much the "filet mignon" after the brand specific ones like GMPP, Mopar etc.

JM&A (short for Jim Moran and Associates) is actually responsible for BACKING Toyota's Certified Warranty program. The reason for this tight integration with Toyota is because Jim Moran was single-handedly responsible for establishing Toyota, and then Lexus in the Southeast market when no one else would even dare try. They have a massive dealership network throughout Florida dedicated to Toyota and Lexus (JM Lexus etc.).

The only downside is these warranties are not available on the aftermarket. They are only available through dealer-specific contracts when purchasing a new or used vehicle.

Jim Moran died at 88 years old in April of this year.

On the subject of ESC's... I know there is a huge debate over this. There's alot of people that believe that there is no need for an ESC because you would be better served kittying away money for repairs and pay yourself, rather than give someone else profits on a service you might never use. Honestly, as complex as these cars are, I see the reasoning for that argument less and less. Chad not only just paid for his warranty, he exceeded by some 1000.00 with this repair if I recall correctly.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-07, 10:34 AM
So much for that headgasket being on too tight

Well actually....

The head was over tightened, causing the gasket to squeeze and over time that's what caused the oil to leak out the side.

So there. :lildevil::sneaky:;)

Playdrv4me
12-01-07, 12:58 PM
Well actually....

The head was over tightened, causing the gasket to squeeze and over time that's what caused the oil to leak out the side.

So there. :lildevil::sneaky:;)

For real??!!!

LS1Mike
12-01-07, 01:00 PM
Are you sure we are talking about the head here and not the valve cover gasket?
I have never on any type of car that the Headgasket leaks oil as syptom of blown or leaky headgasket. How much oil is in your combustion chamber?
I have seen valve cover gaskets leak from being over tightened.
What motor is in that?

Playdrv4me
12-01-07, 01:02 PM
Yea I thought it was a valve cover gasket too, but chad says they told him the HG's leak oil on that motor. Also, the cost they quoted him to fix it was FAR FAR above any valve cover gasket IVE ever seen.

It's the 3.2L Mercedes inline six.

LS1Mike
12-01-07, 01:12 PM
Man that is new for me...I am going to have to do some research.

I did get an extended warranty on the Cadillac. The Trans Am had a tranferable one when I got. They actually fixed my borken 10 bolt after the Cam and N20 install. I love my local Chevy dealer.
Worth the money if you can't or don't want to fix it yourself.
I fix the truck and Trans Am. The Caddy goes to the dealer for anything. I can't afford to have it down for long.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-07, 01:43 PM
Yeah Mike, I know, it seemed strange to me too, but I looked around online, and made a thread about it on the Benz site I belong too, and they told me the same thing the dealer did.

Cadillacboy
12-01-07, 02:20 PM
Nice to hear it worked well for ya . You got a good job by buying extended warranty :thumbsup:

I~LUV~W140's is I~LUV~EXTENTEDWARRANTIES lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-07, 03:10 PM
For real??!!!

No, lol.

hueterm
12-01-07, 05:43 PM
Man -- you really lucked out w/that one...

Do the V8s have the same HG issues as the I6?

Maybe your evaporator will go out and you'll really bank out on the warranty!

caddydaddy
12-01-07, 10:37 PM
I bought a 4 year/50,000 mile extended service contract for my 2000 STS. It has MORE than paid for itself with all the repairs my STS has needed! The strange thing is, now that the ESC has expired, I've had no problems with the STS! (knock on Zebrano wood veneer)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-04-07, 02:12 PM
So I take the car in on Friday for the HG work. Stay tuned for pictures of the motor disassembled....if I can get in there and do that.

Playdrv4me
12-04-07, 02:57 PM
So I take the car in on Friday for the HG work. Stay tuned for pictures of the motor disassembled....if I can get in there and do that.

Awesome!

Cadillacboy
12-04-07, 06:45 PM
Yep, that would be cool :thumbsup:

Destroyer
12-04-07, 09:40 PM
Wow, you got the dreaded head gasket problem already. At least it will be out of the way. Good call on the extended warranty. I dont bother with them but I'm also pretty easy on my cars. ;)

Jesda
12-04-07, 10:50 PM
Thats what you get for being a member of this forum. HG failures are a plague on CF.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-05-07, 12:30 AM
Last year it was car accidents, this year it's headgasket issues. What's in store for next year? Theft?

Night Wolf
12-05-07, 07:49 AM
Last year it was car accidents, this year it's headgasket issues. What's in store for next year? Theft?

LOL! Wow, how true is that?

Atleast if it is theft next year, I've already been covered from last year...... tho now my cars have comprehensive coverage meaning I won't be 100% screwed (again) if one of my cars does get jacked.

slk230mb
12-05-07, 08:54 AM
If theft is the mantra for 2008 I'd be a little bummed out but not totally disappointed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-07-07, 08:16 PM
So it's in the dealer now, we called into the warranty company and they've got to send out an inspector to look at the leak on Monday, so I probably won't get it back until Wednesday or Thursday. So I'm driving my dad's '97 Lumina for the time being, and he's got a loaner '07 Altima from the dealer. I'm 5 months too young to get a loaner...

But hey though, on the bright side, they didn't deny the claim when we called it in (my nightmare) and my consultant says he thinks they'll OK it no problem once they get the inspector out there.

LS1Mike
12-07-07, 10:11 PM
MMM German Technology, they sure can build a good tank though.
Hope it works out for you man. I will stick to big ole GM V8s for my daily driver, cheap ass parts. :)

The wife on the other hand, well I wish I could pick her driver for her.