: N* Runs Rough at Cold Start

Elmer Fudd
11-30-07, 07:52 PM
99 N* Councours ~125 K miles.

Recently started rough running in the first 30 sec's after a COLD start. I'm in Alabama so cold means 50 - 60 degrees. If it is warm or has been run in say the past 6 hours it starts smooth. But when cold it runs rough for about 30 sec's or so. It will smooth out on its own. If I rev it a little it smooths even more quickly. Also noticed a little smoke when it does this (looked blue). After it runs 30 sec or so, it smooths out like brand new and is otherwise perfect.

Could this be something simple that I might do? I hate taking it to the dealer (last time it cost me $1500...lol) :eek:

Ranger
11-30-07, 08:33 PM
Next time have someone else start it while you are in back. Smell the "smoke" and tell us if it is oil, gas or coolant.

Elmer Fudd
11-30-07, 10:51 PM
I'll have to try again in the morning. It ran rough this time for only a few seconds, and I saw no smoke and smelled nothing unusal.

Elmer Fudd
12-01-07, 10:43 AM
This morning (and it was cold last night) it started fine. I was staring right at the tailpipes as my dad cranked it and absolutely nothing came out, visable or oder.

Now that I think of it, this probably is an intermittent thing. You know, when you crank a car and it starts fine you take no notice, only when it doesn't. I only think saw the blueish smoke once.

Cold this be some pollution valve or startup setting that is failing intermittantly?? If it is likely something I could clean or replace I'd try that first. Going to a Caddy dealer is financial suicide as it is, but with a problem that happens "off and on".....well......:banghead:

Ranger
12-01-07, 12:52 PM
I'd start by checking for a leaky FPR and then clean the TB & EGR valve. See if that makes any difference. How is the coolant level? Steady or do you have to add?

Elmer Fudd
12-01-07, 05:35 PM
I add a little now and then. But tere is some seeping from underneath somewhere. Not enough to actually "drip" but the area stays wet.

I had a new surge tank put on at the dealer a while ago, maybe they negelected the pellets....I'll have to get some.

If the issue continues I'll just take it back to the dealer, they treat me fair, just expensive...lol

I'll sugggest the things you mentioned and they will think I know something....:rolleyes:

Thanks

Ranger
12-01-07, 08:36 PM
OK, keep us updated.

CADILLAC_GUY
12-07-07, 03:05 AM
I'm having a "car starting up issue" (wiring or starter) and i heard a loud pop when i had the hood up and it started. I'm also experiencing a slight shake/surge when i'm at the light or below 1,000 Rpm.