"I don't like to look side to side when passing an intersection!"

Speedingpenguin
05-05-04, 06:57 AM
ROFL thats great, LOL

shaggygrosser
05-05-04, 10:20 AM
Wow,

Some things I noticed in the 2nd photo:
1. The granny in the Mercedes wagon is looking straight forward like she didn't hit anything. 'Nevermind the full-grown man rolling off the side of your car!!!'

2. Check out the horror on the passengers' faces in the VW wagon to the left.

3. Can't see the walk/don't walk sign, so it's hard to tell whether the pedestrian was also at fault. If I had to guess, it took two to tango.

BeelzeBob
05-05-04, 11:42 AM
She was looking at him in the first shot - and panicing (wow, how the heck do you spell that?) in the second..

What a shame...

BeelzeBob
05-05-04, 11:44 AM
There really need to be road tests at set intervals after a certain age. There are plenty of people in their 60s and 70s who can still drive fine. But there are also plenty who cannot.

RBraczyk
05-05-04, 12:06 PM
Panicking i belive

El Dobro
05-05-04, 01:47 PM
Is she trying to get him off her windshield with the wiper blade?

shaggygrosser
05-05-04, 01:55 PM
Is she trying to get him off her windshield with the wiper blade?
I didn't notice that before, but it certainly looks that way!

El Dobro
05-05-04, 04:12 PM
Maybe she turned the washers on because she thought there was a big bug on her windshield.

Ralph
05-05-04, 05:19 PM
Maybe she turned the washers on because she thought there was a big bug on her windshield.

LOL! Maybe he was "bugging" her. :D

Another problem is that many start to lose their eyesight or have developed cataracks, yet family members continue to let them drive!

A couple of years ago I went to mail a letter and an old couple skidded across a red light through the intersection! I couldn't believe it. I'm assuming that by the time the elderly driver (new Tauras) saw the red light, he was already entering the intersection. I wish the police were around everytime you see something like this because if we report it, it's just your word against theirs.

tru504187211
05-05-04, 05:26 PM
"i don't stop for people"

BeelzeBob
05-05-04, 07:05 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't find anything humerous to add to this discussion...

El Dobro
05-05-04, 07:09 PM
"Oh, I thought you said get him right away".

highonchai
05-05-04, 07:09 PM
Holy shit thats terrible... but the person in the black shirt and shorts didnt even drop their ice-cream cone! It appears that the old lady is breaking pretty hard in the first shot... or maybe thats just the impact of the guys legs pushing the front end of her car down;)... but wow, poor guy, and poor little girl in the pass. seat of that VW:eek:, but if you'll notice: we dont have to watch out for this lady in the US... but beware of her sisters !!!... :helpless:... here's a thought, maybe it was her husband?

tru504187211
05-05-04, 08:41 PM
Holy crap thats terrible... but the person in the black shirt and shorts didnt even drop their ice-cream cone! It appears that the old lady is breaking pretty hard in the first shot... or maybe thats just the impact of the guys legs pushing the front end of her car down;)... but wow, poor guy, and poor little girl in the pass. seat of that VW:eek:, but if you'll notice: we dont have to watch out for this lady in the US... but beware of her sisters !!!... :helpless:... here's a thought, maybe it was her husband?

Whoa damn, that little girl in the VW is screaming!

Playdrv4me
05-06-04, 06:01 AM
DAMN!!! To determine the velocity of the accident, take a look at the height and position of the mans briefcase in relation to his body in the second picture, its still way up in the air by the time hes halfway into her windshield.

I agree though, they seem to be both at fault, and both were looking straight ahead without paying attention to their surroundings. In fact at first I thought the post was about the old man.

That girls probably scarred for life.

Mitch3
05-06-04, 09:05 AM
Regarding elderly people and driving, something really should be done. I know it has to be hard for a person to admit that he (or she) is too old to drive but the problem is that they don't see any problem with their driving. My father in law is 87 years old and still drives around town as well as to Florida and back once a year. I find every excuse in the book not to drive with him. Seriously, I have had less scary rides at the carnival. He has no right to be behind the wheel. Worse yet, his wife made him get rid of his small Toyota and buy a big ass Oldsmobile because it was safer for HIM. What about the other poor people on the road. Here's the topper !!!!!!!!!!! He just went to the registry to renew his license. They renewed it for six years. Does that make everyone feel safer?:bonkers:

tru504187211
05-06-04, 09:31 AM
Weren't they trying to implement a federal system for the elderly to renew based on testing, or was that a Wisconsin deal?

shaggygrosser
05-06-04, 10:03 AM
Regarding elderly people and driving, something really should be done. I know it has to be hard for a person to admit that he (or she) is too old to drive but the problem is that they don't see any problem with their driving. My father in law is 87 years old and still drives around town as well as to Florida and back once a year. I find every excuse in the book not to drive with him. Seriously, I have had less scary rides at the carnival. He has no right to be behind the wheel. Worse yet, his wife made him get rid of his small Toyota and buy a big ass Oldsmobile because it was safer for HIM. What about the other poor people on the road. Here's the topper !!!!!!!!!!! He just went to the registry to renew his license. They renewed it for six years. Does that make everyone feel safer?:bonkers:

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your biz, but has anyone intervened with your father-in-law yet? Sounds like he needs it.

Ralph
05-06-04, 12:53 PM

Perhaps after every time someone sees a doctor, the doctor should have a little slip to put a check box in if they are capable of driving or not? We've discussed elderly drivers before, but doctors are not going to black mark someone for fear of losing patients. I think families should have a resource, if not the police or ? to report the family member to annonomously so they are made to get a physical for driving, or something like that? Also, the liscense issuer won't turn down an applicant because they make revenue by having more drivers on the road.

Harsher sentencing for these occurances MIGHT encourage family members to step-in more aggressively? What else can be done?

Stoneage_Caddy
05-06-04, 03:27 PM
the woman in the e class wagon is over pretty far in that lane in the second shot , she did swerve , ive been hit a coule times by freinds (i used to play chicken ) the wipers sometimes come up like that just from the body rolling over the windshield .

1toycad
05-06-04, 03:35 PM
Something about those photos just doesn't ring true....

JJhomer83
05-09-04, 08:47 PM
WOW, nothing more

merfsiu
05-10-04, 04:48 PM
Here in FL you only need 20/40 vision IN ONE EYE to drive. Unbelievable!

shaggygrosser
05-17-04, 10:40 AM
The evidence keeps piling up:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/05/17/communion.crash.ap/index.html

Smokey
05-17-04, 11:16 AM
In Texas, as I am sure in other states, you can request a Medical Advisory Board revue of any driver. They are required to appear in court to determine their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. They care usually required to retake the written and driving portion of the state test. The state police filed a MAB on my mother-in-law after a one car accident 2 years ago. She was 89 at the time and lived alone. They revoked here license and now she lives with my wife and I.

Caddy Man
05-17-04, 12:06 PM
if u notice in teh picture the part of the car that hit the guy has NO DAMAGE AT ALL...i find this picture to be somwhat fake. Anytime i have ever seen a hit and run involving someone and a car, there is always some dammage to the car.

Smokey
05-17-04, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Having worked many auto-pedestrian accidents, there is always some damage to the front of the vehicle. A human body is a heavy mass that will cause damage.