: UUC Shifter and CAGS Mod a must have

SuperV_Rob
11-29-07, 10:08 PM
I just purchased a 05 CTS-V and immediately became disenchanted with the vehicle due to my inability to shift as I saw fit. I felt as though I was hunting and pecking to find a gear and just when I thought I had it figured it out the ship-shift was forcing me from 1st to 4th. Thanks to Luke and Jim at Lindsey Cadillac in Virginia a little over a thousand miles from my home in Tampa, the V shifts like it should with an actual slot for each of the six gears. Thanks to a skip-shift eliminator purchased off of e-bay, I can now shift the V at will. This vehicle has been transformed to one of the most awesome vehicles that I have ever had the pleasure of piloting. If it had not been for this forum I would have never know about either modification much less who to contact for purchase and installation of the UUC. Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this forum.

If I could just find a way to allow my passenger to manage the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion it would be the perfect car. :thumbsup:

darkman
11-29-07, 10:44 PM
Now you need a UUC lightweight flywheel to reduce the elapsed time between those newly improved shifts.

Jon
11-29-07, 10:49 PM
B&M > UUC IMO.

But yes, I want a UUC flywheel, just no $ :(

SuperV_Rob
11-30-07, 12:16 AM
RANDYCVST, I cannot reply to your private message because I do not have enough posts to allow me the pleasure of responding. The answer to your question is as follows: I actually drove all the way to Alexandria Virginia over the Thanksgiving holiday because I spoke with Luke at Lindsay Cadillac and he made me feel comfortable that they could do an awesome job of installing the shifter. I paid a little over $550 for the shifter, bushings, and install. While I was there they went ahead and identified and fixed one major problem and several minor problems all under my warranty. I have owned 6 cadillacs over the past ten years and have had them serviced at a number of different dealers. Without question, the team at Lindsay beats every other dealer that I have interfaced with hands down. I wish that I lived in the DC area full time so that I could continue to enjoy the magnificent service offered by the Lindsay Cadillac Team. John is an awesome mechanic and knows more about the V's than most of the factory workers at the assembly plant. I had an awesome experience with the entire team, from Alex the service writer to the wonderful clerk that checked me out when it came time to pay. I know that it is a long drive from Tampa, however if you have any reason to go back east I can guarantee your satisfaction when dealing with Lindsay. I hope that this helps.

ewill3rd
11-30-07, 06:45 AM
rave, I worked on your car. I hope you are referring to me when you say "John". Actually it is Bill, but I can't judge, I am worse with names than anybody on Earth.

I am glad we were here to help you out and I am certainly glad that
a. You made it home okay
b. You like the shifter

I have two more V's in my shop right now that I am doing a lot of work on, hopefully we can keep them as happy as you are ;)
Thanks for the kind words, always nice to have people appreciate what you do.
Let me know if your dealer gives you any grief about the control arm issue.
The TSB number is on your invoice if they need it.

Twitch
11-30-07, 07:22 AM
rave, I worked on your car. I hope you are referring to me when you say "John". Actually it is Bill, but I can't judge, I am worse with names than anybody on Earth.

I am glad we were here to help you out and I am certainly glad that
a. You made it home okay
b. You like the shifter

I have two more V's in my shop right now that I am doing a lot of work on, hopefully we can keep them as happy as you are ;)
Thanks for the kind words, always nice to have people appreciate what you do.
Let me know if your dealer gives you any grief about the control arm issue.
The TSB number is on your invoice if they need it.

Any idea how long a drive it is to get to you guys from NYC?
Probably worthit for me to take a road trip for certain things.

BTW What was with the control arm? I have a issue when I swap the rims, front to rear, the steering wheel goes off center. My dealer did a wheel alignment, but I'm not sure they really fixed it. Haven't had the time to swap the rims, but a forum member said it may be the control arms.
Thanks

Tony

ewill3rd
11-30-07, 09:04 AM
Depending on what time of day it is I have made it back from Tarrytown in just under 5 hours.
It isn't too bad of a drive really.

They have some problems with the fit of the control arm and a washer that rubs on the frame making a noise sometimes.
I would have fixed it but I didn't want him to be stranded here if I didn't have all the parts.
Sometimes a tire with internal issues can cause a pull, or lead.
If you put the tires back where they were and the pull goes away you need a tire replaced.

heavymetals
11-30-07, 03:30 PM
Shifter was one of the first if not the first mod I did to my V.

I thought the stock unit shifted like a minitruck.

TaVern
11-30-07, 06:48 PM
Any idea how long a drive it is to get to you guys from NYC?
Probably worthit for me to take a road trip for certain things.

Definitely worth it. Lindsay is only 20 miles away from me, but I wouldn't hesitate for 200 miles either.

Downside of having them so close?

It's like living in Vegas with a gambling problem...

CTSV_Rob
11-30-07, 07:27 PM
B&M > UUC IMO.

But yes, I want a UUC flywheel, just no $ :(

I would imagine they are close to the same but I have not seen the B&M. All I can say is the UUC is a WORK OF F'ING ART. It is also much quieter then the stock stick and of course a better shift. Bushings were a good investment also.

Definitely worth it. Lindsay is only 20 miles away from me, but I wouldn't hesitate for 200 miles either.

Downside of having them so close?

It's like living in Vegas with a gambling problem...

I already by too much from Luke, If I lived closer I'm sure I would find something that I need.

Hmmmm. People ask me what I want for my birthday and christmas, Think I'll give them Luke's number. He seems to know what I want.

You are on a path that's hard to turn away from. The only option now is to join the hip replacement crowd in the STS-V's (lost another damit)

lasciVious
11-30-07, 08:10 PM
I Need to do this and I was wondering if it worked. My shifter is very clumsy.. Thanks for the post.
Where is Linsey? I'm in North Carolina.

SuperV_Rob
11-30-07, 11:47 PM
Bill (EWILL3RD), I apologize for calling you John, I guess that John was the customer service manager or something. In any event, I seriously appreciate all that you did and to say the least, you impressed the heck out of my bride and myself. I don't have enough posts to send you a PM but would certainly like a hint in the right direction with respect to the other issue that we discussed. My e-mail address if raveschi@earthlink.net, if you think of anything that I can do or buy, I would really appreciate your help. Again, thanks for making and taking the time to do all that you did with respect to the "V". It is now almost the perfect automobile... Well, after you install my super charger it will be perfect... LoL

SuperV_Rob
11-30-07, 11:56 PM
I Need to do this and I was wondering if it worked. My shifter is very clumsy.. Thanks for the post.
Where is Linsey? I'm in North Carolina.

Lindsay Cadillac is located in Northern Virginia, Luke will sell you the shifter and bushings if you want to install it yourself. To be honest, based on my research it was a little more that I wanted to attempt myself. Bill did a fabulous job of installing the shifter, even though it has transformed the car into a serious smooth shifting performance car, the look is completely stock. The car came back to me with the factory appearance and it just so happens that I had the car up on a rack a few days after the install and the underside was just as it came from the factory. I have built and raced many cars in my day and I can assure you I could not have done as good a job as Bill din on the install. We have the advantage of driving vehicles that are fun to drive so a road trip from North Carolina to DC would be not only fun, it could be an adventure. Whatever you do, at the very least, give Luke a call to purchase your shifter and bushings he will save you money over the rest of the dealers.

My Best,

Rob

P.S. Even with an awesome shifter, until you bypass the CAGS you will never really experience all that the "V" can be...

v-sam
11-30-07, 11:58 PM
If I could just find a way to allow my passenger to manage the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion it would be the perfect car. :thumbsup:

I agree if the car can sense a person in the seat to enable the airbag why can't it let us screw with the Nav. when there is a passenger in the car?

AAIIIC
12-01-07, 01:03 AM
I did the UUC short shifter and poly bushings a few weekends ago and have to say I'm decidedly unimpressed. Keep in mind the first mod I ever did to my Mustang was a Hurst short shifter, and a short shifter was one of the first things I did to my Subaru, too. I'm a big fan of a good shifter. I felt the stock V shifter was just fine, but everyone raves about the UUC shifter like it's God's gift to shift levers, so I went ahead and picked one up.

All I can say is the UUC is a WORK OF F'ING ART. It is also much quieter then the stock stick and of course a better shift. Bushings were a good investment also.
I had zero noise with my stock shifter. With the UUC I now have a very cheap-sounding hollow clunk clunk every time I shift gears. I haven't had a chance yet to pop the shifter surround off and see if I can figure out what is causing the noise. It sounds stupid.

CTSV_Rob
12-01-07, 03:38 AM
Rob

P.S. Even with an awesome shifter, until you bypass the CAGS you will never really experience all that the "V" can be...
See my Sig "StealthV Tune" no CAG's eliminator required.

Headers with Hi Flow cats with no error's "StealthV Tune"

Well mannered with a lightweight flywheel "StealthV tune"

Your asking Bill what else you can put on your car....

You could be getting yourself in deep, are you ready? I'm one of the minor league players but I'm one step away from falling into some deep S*&T.

Damn, what a great ride and I'm looking forward to some track day's now.

Black Sunshine
12-01-07, 05:18 AM
Damn, what a great ride and I'm looking forward to some track day's now.

NUFF SAID!!!!

Know whatcha mean. Have had the car for 12 months and resisted all internal voices yellin for mods cept for a magnaflow exhaust with X pipe, UUC shifter/bushings and a dyno tune UNTIL........

this week.

Now there's a KarsIII, set of kook's headers w/ HF cats, another magnaflow exhaust, intake, 90mm TB and a maggie in my garage waiting for me to decide whether I'm puttin all this on or if I trust someone else do it!!!

Oh, and Luke "got me" for a set of those racing bars and rear strut braces.

I did have a few moments of weakness on ebay the other day and snagged a shift light and pedal covers.

Then there's the new locks and shift knob, too.

Not much really.:cookoo:

Where's Rick when I need him?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Smileys/311966_97.gif

Bill, find out what y'all want to put this stuff on for me!!!

BOT, Hey Rob!! We need to get a S. GA / FL gatherin together.

Twitch
12-01-07, 06:55 AM
NUFF SAID!!!!

Know whatcha mean. Have had the car for 12 months and resisted all internal voices yellin for mods cept for a magnaflow exhaust with X pipe, UUC shifter/bushings and a dyno tune UNTIL........

this week.

Now there's a KarsIII, set of kook's headers w/ HF cats, another magnaflow exhaust, intake, 90mm TB and a maggie in my garage waiting for me to decide whether I'm puttin all this on or if I trust someone else do it!!!

Oh, and Luke "got me" for a set of those racing bars and rear strut braces.

I did have a few moments of weakness on ebay the other day and snagged a shift light and pedal covers.

Then there's the new locks and shift knob, too.

Not much really.:cookoo:

Where's Rick when I need him?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/Smileys/311966_97.gif

Bill, find out what y'all want to put this stuff on for me!!!

Which pedal covers and shift knob did you get?

Pix please.

SuperV_Rob
12-01-07, 08:08 AM
NUFF SAID!!!!

Black Sunshine, how far is Moultrie from Blue Ridge, GA? I have a home there and would love to see if we could put together a "V" gathering over a weekend. We are there at least two weekends a month!

ewill3rd
12-01-07, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the kind words guys.
AA, one issue you might be having with your shifter is the nylon collar inside the shift plate that holds the shift pivot.
If you put those together upside down it will reduce the clearance on the shifter shaft and it may be hitting the retaining collar on the shift plate.
I can tell which way it goes when I am doing it but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Take the shift knob off and look at the base of the shifter, make sure there is some clearance when you move it between the shifter and the retainer in each gear.

I can't tell you much about the radio issue other than if there were an intermittent open in circuit 818 the radio might not think the vehicle was in motion.

SuperV_Rob
12-01-07, 10:03 AM
Bill, you are indeed the best! Thanks Again!!!

Black Sunshine
12-01-07, 01:13 PM
Black Sunshine, how far is Moultrie from Blue Ridge, GA? I have a home there and would love to see if we could put together a "V" gathering over a weekend. We are there at least two weekends a month!

Man, Please! Blue Ridge is WAYYYY up North. We be way down South. Bout 75 miles North of Tallahassee just off 319. It is "on the way".

Maybe plan to do some kinda group thing in Feb. when they do the big auto swap meet here. Nearly 40K people thru the gates and good shopping.

Autovation pedal covers and snagged the last shift knob Pete had for sale. Must admit the covers are a slight diappointment but the shift knob is high quality and good n heavy. I'll take pics.

CTSV_Rob
12-01-07, 02:19 PM
ALready have the Dildoesque shifter (love it but maybe not as much as the wife!)
Hawk Pads already installed (Make sure to Bed them properly!)

Next to go on the car...

KARS III (Already have it)
SST Brake lines (Already have them)
ATE Blue Brake Fluid (in the garage witht he rest of the stuff)

Headers are one of my favorite mods you won't regret.

Door locks on the way
Ultimate pedals on their way
Driving clinic this year (WoooHoooo!)
A/C knob's on their way
Rear Strut tower Brace on it's way
Rear control arms on the way (a little peice of V racing history into my V also)

I also just got the Software to tune the V and that adventure will start tomorrow thanks to WW!

Next Mods:
- TVS1900 (maybe)
- Cam with about a 114 LSA (Want to maintain a Smooth idle)
- L92 Heads (Fitting for a truck motor)
- Forged bottom end
- ?????

Mod Hell Blah, Mod Heaven :cloud9:

Divorce court - Maybe.

Bill,

Not sure if you enjoy working on cars, it may just be a job now but somehow I really doubt it. You don't gain that kind of talent unless you really enjoy it.

Point I'm getting at is I really enjoy driving this car with these modifications but I also enjoy installing them. Car has it's quirks but for the most part it's a joy to work on. Just glad it doesn't have the XLR top, hear that's a biotch to adjust...

ewill3rd
12-01-07, 04:53 PM
I used to LOVE it, now I put up with it.
I don't have the love for cars like I used to, but I am fairly strange when it comes to my job.
I like to be a perfectionist but time really puts its limits on what I can do sometimes.

I started working on cars because I have a love for it, deep down I still do.
I get a lot of satisfaction from what I do. Now if I could just get paid... LOL
(James takes good care of me... but I ain't about to go buy a Lamborghini)

lasciVious
12-01-07, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=AAIIIC;1312121]I had zero noise with my stock shifter.QUOTE]

I take it you dont have an 04 with 50k on it neither? Sloppy as a 70 year old madam. Damn if i can find a gear unless I'm over 3000RPM. I have got to do something or im going to burn up all the world gas supply :helpless: Why cant I have a good mechanic near me? I called my local dealer and they said they had never worked on one before so call ahead so they can order parts "scary"

JimmyH
12-01-07, 08:00 PM
Cags is a must. But I have to say, I dont think the stock shifter is bad enough that I would replace it.

I am not saying it is great, but a shifter is something you adjust to. I can shift quickly enough, and I have not missed a shift since early on in ownership (when I missed them alot.) Reverse sucks ass though.

TaVern
12-01-07, 09:07 PM
^^ You have no idea what you're missing out on, Jimmy.

I used to think that same way until Luke talked me into the UUC.

The difference was unbelievable.

JimmyH
12-01-07, 09:16 PM
I don't doubt it one bit. The problem is, I don't have a Lindsay type dealer anywhere near me, and should I run into trans problems, I don't want the dealer blaming the aftermarket shifter (as I have read more than one person here experiencing). It is no secret I am not into mods. Stock all the way for me.

The shifter does suck, of that there is no doubt. But I deal with it. The only shifter I have owned that I can truly say I was satisfied with was my 01 MR2.

SuperV_Rob
12-01-07, 10:52 PM
I don't doubt it one bit. The problem is, I don't have a Lindsay type dealer anywhere near me, and should I run into trans problems, I don't want the dealer blaming the aftermarket shifter (as I have read more than one person here experiencing). It is no secret I am not into mods. Stock all the way for me.

The shifter does suck, of that there is no doubt. But I deal with it. The only shifter I have owned that I can truly say I was satisfied with was my 01 MR2.

My two favorite shifters are the UUC in my "V" and any shifter on the planet that is not the one that came stock in my "V"......:histeric::histeric::histeric:

Black Sunshine
12-01-07, 11:09 PM
The stock shift knob did not want to come off the UUC shifter. After several sessions of 2nd gear this and 5th gear that I got a persuader out. Two mintues later the new knob installed.

Definitely be buying a set of driving gloves for this Winter and next August. But, there's something about a nice smooth piece of metal in your hand when your stabbing 4th. Muwahahahahaha.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/boilrmkr/CTS-V/Interior/CTSVShiftKnob12_01_07Small113.jpg

heavymetals
12-02-07, 01:00 AM
Amazing that they let some intern design the linkage.

Same trans and motor in my Vette and the differance in quality of shift feel is night and day.

ewill3rd
12-02-07, 10:01 AM
The real issue with the stock shifter is the bushings.
They are hollow, I have no idea why.
Some of you guys that are on the fence about a shifter might find some satisfaction in just putting in the bushings.
It may sound strange but based on what I have seen I think even that slight modification would help.
It can be a bear to put them on though. It is easy with the shifter on the bench, not so easy in the car.

I think I have several sets of headers to finish up this week, I know I have 2 in the shop and I think Luke said we have two more coming in next week. One of them gets a complete exhaust.
The Corsas are nice but they can be a pain to put on if you are picky. Lining everything up the first time is kind of a nightmare. After that NEVER loosen the clamps! :D

genovet
12-28-07, 12:44 AM
I would love to sample a UUC shifter before swapping out the stock unit...anyone with a UUC shifter in the South Jersey area?