: Steering Wheel Vibration ***Please Help***

seabass
11-29-07, 10:29 AM
Ok, so here is what is going on. When I purchased the car about 3 weeks ago I knew there was a shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel and gear shift selector. Found out that the roters were bad so I just had them replaced. The car worked great for about a week but yesterday the steering wheel shimmy has come back even worse. But this is the strange part. It only happens when the car is moving between 48-60mph. After that it seems to settle down. But it is shaking so bad that the shift selector handle is rattling. The shop I had the tires changed and brakes done did not have time to do the alignment....could that be the issue? And if it is why is the problem not present throughout the power band? With the amount of movement in the steering wheel I think it must be something else. Any help would be great...:thepan:

10KTGOLD
11-29-07, 11:04 AM
Tie rods ,inner outter ,or tires balanced

seabass
11-29-07, 01:11 PM
Tie rods ,inner outter ,or tires balanced

At this point I am thinking tie rods because the tires should have been balanced when I put the brand new ones on three weeks ago. How expensive are the tie rods?

rinverso
11-29-07, 02:00 PM
tierods should be covered under your extended warranty. they were with mine. and i agree with the diagnosis. i had the same symptoms, weird how it stops vibrating after 60 mph!!:yup:

usc2005
11-29-07, 04:15 PM
Yea all that happend with mine(97), the vibration in the gear shift,stopping vibrating after 60mph etc. So i got 4 new tires, and got my allignment done and she drives like shes floating on water!!!! But as long as the tie rods are concerned i dont know about that. Sorry i can just tell you what i did and what helped my probelm(simalar to yours).

usc2005
11-29-07, 04:19 PM
But just to make things clear, i got my alignment done BEFORE i got my new tires and i still had the problems. The tires were bad due to the unusual tire wear that the cat causes. But i was due for me some new tires anyway. But tie rods etc like the above members stated could be the problem as well. Good luck bro!!

caterakid
11-30-07, 02:53 AM
could be your center link