: Merger?...What Merger?

Playdrv4me
05-04-04, 10:17 PM
http://www.freep.com/voices/columnists/emeyers4_20040504.htm

Ralph
05-04-04, 10:29 PM
But the fat lady hasn't sung yet! Chrysler NEVER has to "pray" they will sell their new models, there are loyalists who will always buy them. remember the minivan of 1984, basically a useful, affordable vehicle saved them. Cheap perhaps, but they sell. I see a LOT of SX's out there! ;)

Why do we not hear of any trouble between Lambourghini and Chrysler, they were affilliated also? GM and Lotus, etc. etc.

I think deep down, everyone knew that Mercedes was the prestigious company over Chrysler during the merger. To disguise it as otherwise is just effective marketing IMO.

Ralph
05-04-04, 11:06 PM
Of all the manufacturers in trouble right now, it's Ford that's worst off IMO. They've been losing billions in Europe. Their bigger cars are almost the same price as BMWs or Benzes, but don't have the status. Their smaller cars have too much competition.

In North America, they survive mostly on profits from their trucks. The question is whether Bill Ford can turn them around in time.

Playdrv4me
05-04-04, 11:51 PM
Of all the manufacturers in trouble right now, it's Ford that's worst off IMO. They've been losing billions in Europe. Their bigger cars are almost the same price as BMWs or Benzes, but don't have the status. Their smaller cars have too much competition.

In North America, they survive mostly on profits from their trucks. The question is whether Bill Ford can turn them around in time.

Hey Now!! Ford is doing a MIGHTY impressive job turning around all the craptrail that Jacques Nasser left behind man! The quality has literally SPIKED since Bill Ford came in from the crap that Ford was producing before, I really have a great affection for alot of the Lincoln products and most of the Ford stuff out there right now. It might be a tad expensive yes, but I think if they keep upping the quality the American loyalist, and some import fans will even begin to see the Ford light.

Chrysler is SLOOOOOWWWLLLYY turning the big steering wheel in the sky towards success, but theyve GOT to keep momentum to do it. The problem with Chrysler has always been that they get a good concept, (cab forward, K, etc...) and then they milk it til there is nothing left to squeeze out of it! If they can keep a nice flow of original ideas coming down the line (SRT10 and 300C are a damn good start), then they will do fine.

Speaking of the Chrysler Minivan, lest we not forget the venerable Jeep Cherokee! Its arguable which of those two REALLY kept Chrysler floating in the 1980's, even through the big Maserati disaster.

Ralph
05-05-04, 05:08 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7109&sid=173&n=156

Read this, and then check the stock quotes near the bottom of the article.

I agree with you about Ford in North America, but it is Europe where they are losing big, and it's hurting them. This article seems to confirm that the F150 is the MAIN reason they are making profit.

Msilva954
05-05-04, 08:32 AM
I think with the new Aston Martins...Jags....Volvos...and Land Rovers, Ford of Europe should be turning around pretty soon.

Ralph
05-05-04, 03:31 PM
Their bigger cars are almost the same price as BMWs or Benzes, but don't have the status. Their smaller cars have too much competition.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, or defensive yesterday Ian, I certainly respect your opinion! Just trying to keep you on your toes LOL. I didn't mean to seem that way. I would not say "NO" to a new Town Car. ;)

In this statement I was referring to Europe, and not NA. Ford really needs more selection in Europe other than the Focus-sized models.

I'm sure that Msilva is correct, and they wil be turning a profit in Europe soon.

p.s. you are right about DaimlerChrysler Ian, something is up because they just fired Bernhard! Why would they do that? I thought he made profits from the merger?