: P0300,p - Engine Misfire Detected 2002 deville, help please

house
11-28-07, 01:34 AM
hi,
ever since it become really cold in MI, like 30 to 20 everyday, my 02 deville has given me a engine misfire code. also, the engine stumbles for the first 5 or 10 mins of driving. also when it stumbles, the service engine light flashes at me. it feels like lag and shutters like half the cylinders are firing. however if I do not baby it, and give it gas, it will accelerate fine, its a wierd acceleration, like driving a car that hits boost. the lowest idle i have seen has been 575 and it doesnt feel like it will turn off on me. I also have

P0151 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
P1153,p - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1

the car has 120k miles, and I have no idea about the maintence. Only thing I have done is a waterpump change and coolant flush. would the o2s have anything to do with it? could it just be spark plugs? lastly the engine has a thirst for coolant for the last year FYI.

thanks

Cadillacboy
11-28-07, 08:03 AM
You should replace your plugs 100 K miles .If they're still from factory ones, have it replaced asap . I got a P0300 code one of my cars as well and I just deleted it using my code reader and no problem since then :)
I am not familiar w/ Devilles so I don't know if you use the very same method when clearing/reading the codes just like Sevilles

Ranger
11-28-07, 12:56 PM
Based on those DTC's, I'd guess you have a lazy O2 sensor and would replace it.

house
11-29-07, 11:04 AM
thanks for the replies good bros

do you think I have 3 bad o2s? are the front o2s the important ones on these cars?

I will do the sparkplugs, are they pretty straight forward on these motors?

I have cleared the codes a few times but they come back

thanks

FrankT
11-29-07, 11:44 AM
do you think I have 3 bad o2s? are the front o2s the important ones on these cars? No, I think that Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the only sensor that is bad. The rear sensor is for monitoring the catalyst. There are seperate codes for the other HO2S sensors.

I will do the sparkplugs, are they pretty straight forward on these motors? Yes, very easy over 100k I would think about doing plug wires too, use the A/C delco brand.

I have cleared the codes a few times but they come back. Replace Bank 2 Sensor 1 HO2S and do the plugs and wires, then clear codes, I'm betting they will not come back. Have fun, Frank

house
11-29-07, 01:20 PM
thanks for the quick answers

should I go with the plugs the parts store recommends?

Submariner409
11-29-07, 04:59 PM
You'd better check and see if your car even has plug wires. If it's COP there are insulated connector boots under the 2 coil cassettes, both of which have to come off to get to the plugs. Use only ACDelco double platinum plugs. #41-987 or earlier 41-950. Many threads on this. $5 apiece at www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com). Boots can be bought at a dealer if you only need 1 or 2, but are cheaper ($32) in an 8-pack from www.paceperformance.com (http://www.paceperformance.com) (Ohio GM/Chevy dealer). O2 sensors from www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) or www.gmotors.com (http://www.gmotors.com) . (Both Cad dealers)

Use no anti-seize on the plugs and torque to 11-13 ft/lb. You'll be pulling plugs from a semi-hemi aluminum head, so do it cold. You can stick a used boot down over the plug to lift it out, or use a rubber lined socket.

Don't touch or get anti-seize on the O2 sensor tips. Destruction city. FYI, your car has 3 O2 sensors: 1 in each header and 1 just after the cat.

(A 2002 N* DOES NOT have plug wires: I just re-read YOUR post.........be careful to get parts for YOUR year........they change quite a bit from year to year.......)

Ranger
11-29-07, 05:18 PM
No plug wires after '99. 2000 is when they wen to COP ignition.

FrankT
11-29-07, 08:35 PM
No plug wires after '99. 2000 is when they wen to COP ignition.
Sorry for the wrong info,:o Ooooh ya, I knew that! There I go getting in a hurry again. Good catch Sub and Ranger.

Ranger
11-29-07, 09:14 PM
No problem Frank, been there done that.

house
11-30-07, 07:59 PM
thanks guys

also,

can you tell me which o2 sensors the codes relate to?

P1153 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1
P1153 p - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1

Ranger
11-30-07, 08:17 PM
Bank 2 Sensor 1 = left bank (radiator side) exhaust manifold.

house
12-02-07, 03:25 AM
thanks

house
12-05-07, 01:49 AM
wow that o2 was unbelievable to get to with my big hands, took forever.

TexasCadillac
12-06-07, 08:01 PM
hi,
ever since it become really cold in MI, like 30 to 20 everyday, my 02 deville has given me a engine misfire code. also, the engine stumbles for the first 5 or 10 mins of driving. also when it stumbles, the service engine light flashes at me. it feels like lag and shutters like half the cylinders are firing. however if I do not baby it, and give it gas, it will accelerate fine, its a wierd acceleration, like driving a car that hits boost. the lowest idle i have seen has been 575 and it doesnt feel like it will turn off on me. I also have

P1153,p - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1

the car has 120k miles, and I have no idea about the maintence. Only thing I have done is a waterpump change and coolant flush. would the o2s have anything to do with it? could it just be spark plugs? lastly the engine has a thirst for coolant for the last year FYI.
thanks thirst for coolant? check for exhaust gasses and bad head gaskets. TexasCadillac

house
12-07-07, 03:34 PM
i know, it has had a hg problem for over a yr now. I have found a northstar with 1000 miles from a shop that did concept work for GM here in SE MI. I will probably do the swap over the winter.