: CEL from exhaust cutouts??

Natedog
11-27-07, 06:32 PM
Anyone with dumps throw a check engine light? I had the DMH low profile cutouts installed a week and a half ago and this morning the check engine light popped on... emissions related as its a steady light but not sure if it has anything to do with the cutouts or not....

Quick blurb on the DMH's, once installed they didn't seal completely when closed so Dave at DMH is sending me a new set... gonna get the new pair welded in and then i;ll get a full review and video up.. they are LOUD

Black Majick
11-29-07, 12:34 AM
Mine have never given me any problems with emission control system, are yours installed aft of all O2 sensors? If not, that may be your problem. BTW, what's the web address for DMH? I'm looking for a good replacement set of valves for when my crappy QTP units sh*t the bed.

Black Sunshine
11-29-07, 07:03 AM
http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

ewill3rd
11-29-07, 09:33 AM
My suspicion would be that if you have cutouts, you likely have aftermarket cats.
The cats are probably the issue, not the cutouts.
I haven't seen an aftermarket catalyst yet that will pass the factory diagnostic consistantly.
(sometimes they will but rarely always)

Natedog
11-29-07, 10:21 AM
My suspicion would be that if you have cutouts, you likely have aftermarket cats.
No aftermarket cats for me... completely stock and installed after the 02's... just an FYI, the DMH low profile cutouts i have in there now DO LEAK; however, Dave at DMH has assured me that this is not normal and he has shipped me a replacement pair with accompanying return label to send the old ones back... hopefully i'll be able to convince him to take care of the re-installation costs as well

RunningOnEMT
11-29-07, 10:32 AM
if they are after the cats they should not be throwing codes... unless they are installed so close you are getting ambient air reflux...

what code are you throwing? P0420 or P0430 would be catalyst related, maybe you sucked up a squirrel...lol

Natedog
11-29-07, 10:38 AM
Haahaha.. after the cats, but before the midpipe (essentially where the exhaust bends in toward the middle of the car)... not sure what codes i'm getting but my car is at Lindsay right now so i'll know later today hopefully.. i'm quite fortunate in that i practically pass Lindsay on my way to work every morning, so it's not too much of an issue when things like this pop up :D

Dave-V
11-29-07, 11:37 AM
I didn't have the low profile version but I never threw a code with my regular DMHs. The only other mod I had on that car was a CAI. Mine were open at least partially most of the time so I don't understand the connection between the code and the air leak. I am glad they are swapping out the cutouts.

ewill3rd
11-29-07, 03:32 PM
It's here??
I am swamped right now, have you heard back from anyone yet?

Natedog
11-29-07, 03:43 PM
It's here??
I am swamped right now, have you heard back from anyone yet?

No. Alex is my POC. It's the black V with dark tints and a bit of damage to the right rear:canttalk: Gotta get it in to Richard in the bodyshop to get it fixed asap, but for now i just want to know why i was getting the CEL for the past 2 days which magically dissappeared this morning... I'll give Alex a buzz in a bit to check in

Twitch
11-29-07, 10:13 PM
I have the same thing. My magnaflow cat-back has a leak from the flange in the front. I get the CEL maybe once a month, and it lasts a couple days.
Forgot the code number but its lean in bank two. Not even a bad leak, you dont notice it.
I'm sure thats what it is with my car, and it sounds like the same thing with yours.

RunningOnEMT
11-29-07, 10:17 PM
I gotta stop by lindsay to pay the snap on guy tomorrow, i'll keep an eye on it for you

hey ewill ... don't tell him lemme drive his car around for a while

ewill3rd
11-30-07, 06:55 AM
Nate, I don't have that one in. Not sure if they'll have someone look at it since I am busy.
The Dispatcher might be holding it for me since it is a V.
Is the MIL the only issue? If so I'll check with Alex this morning and see if we can check something really quickly for you.
I got a full house right now but I think I can open up one of my bays, I have a Deville to road test for brake pulsation that has a bent rim. $800 and we are out of them!
(national backorder)

Natedog
11-30-07, 09:52 AM
Nate, I don't have that one in. Not sure if they'll have someone look at it since I am busy.
The Dispatcher might be holding it for me since it is a V.
Is the MIL the only issue? If so I'll check with Alex this morning and see if we can check something really quickly for you.
I got a full house right now but I think I can open up one of my bays, I have a Deville to road test for brake pulsation that has a bent rim. $800 and we are out of them!
(national backorder)
Yea, the MIL was the only real issue, i also asked for an oil change and to see if you guys could do anything to protect my fuel rails along the passenger side near the cutout, possibly covering a small section with the same product that comes from the factory... not sure if that's something you guys stock though...
I spoke with Alex yesterday, seems it was an issue with a catalytic code, and he said they would be getting a software update from Cadillac to resolve the issue. Thanks for looking into it for me, if you get any additional specifics, i'd be curious to hear... u guys are the best

ewill3rd
12-01-07, 03:10 PM
Nate,
If you look over the paperwork you'll see what I found.
I am sorry I didn't have much time to dig into it deeper. I am neck deep in V's right now.
The codes were history, how many times have you seen the light? One was a lean exhaust on the left bank but the fuel trims looked great for me. The other was a clutch switch input that also seems to be working normally.
Nothing related to your cats.
You need to get those exhaust gaskets fixed on the cutouts.
Also if whoever put them on can give you some turn down pipes to point that exhaust down away from the frame that would be really good. They mounted them pointing right at the frame rails under the body, eventually that will cause problems if you use the cutouts a lot. I don't have anything good to put on there to protect the lines, the easiest thing is to put some oval pipes on there to turn the gasses downward or at least angle them a little bit.
The heat can affect the brake system (small pipes) and the fuel system eventually .

Let me know if the check engine light (MIL) comes on again and I'll spend more time looking into it if any of those codes come back.

Natedog
12-01-07, 04:16 PM
Nate,
The codes were history, how many times have you seen the light?
This was the first and only time i've seen the light so hopefully it doesn't pop up again. Thanks for the insight and assistance