: LS9 Official Images

Natedog
11-27-07, 01:28 PM
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6222763/car-news/first-official-images-of-corvette-zr1s-ls9-engine/index.html

onebadcad
11-27-07, 01:34 PM
Looks purdy, I'll take two with a 4yr/60K warranty, and a couple of smaller pulleys.

rand49er
11-27-07, 01:37 PM
650 HP!

:thumbsup:

ZEUSROTTY
11-27-07, 01:56 PM
I Got To About 30% On Those Pics...

racebyu
11-27-07, 02:35 PM
Smart design, keeping things very tight and putting the air cooler above the blower.
Looks like it sucks the air in the intake tube, compresses it, blows it up out the top
then into the center of the cooler housing, then right/left thru the IC cores on either
side, then back down to the heads intake ports.......sweet compact design.

Just give me a version of that for my LS1 and I would be very happy!

platinum_plus
11-27-07, 03:08 PM
the beast!!

NormV
11-27-07, 04:29 PM
Smart design, keeping things very tight and putting the air cooler above the blower.
Looks like it sucks the air in the intake tube, compresses it, blows it up out the top
then into the center of the cooler housing, then right/left thru the IC cores on either
side, then back down to the heads intake ports.......sweet compact design.

Just give me a version of that for my LS1 and I would be very happy!

Great to see someone else on the same page, I'll take two also!

This page in design was recently seen in early 2000's with Mercedes Benz supercharged V6 and V8's. It proven depending on supercharger source. MB uses IHI with waffle looking IC.

Norm

Black Sunshine
11-27-07, 04:54 PM
How about some video?

http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-auto-show/this-is-the-2009-corvette-zr1-ls9-engine-and-yes-were-probably-in-serious-trouble-326717.php

1QUICKV
11-27-07, 06:34 PM
it looks more like a CADILLAC motor to me=)

type911
11-27-07, 07:11 PM
I wonder if that would mount to the top of an LS6.

Jpjr
11-27-07, 08:08 PM
Anyone else notice that little thing in front of the blower called the supercharger pulley? Swap it out for a smaller one, shrink the belt, and off you go.. spin the blower faster = instant boost increase. It will literally cost you hundreds and a few hours (plus tune) to acheive the performance gains that cost thousands and days/weeks with all previous LS motors. Most GM enthusiasts are not familiar with the benefits of factory SC apps because the automaker just hasn't done much in this area recently. All that is going to change. I hope someone is smart enough to start working on the pulley mods before the V comes out... the ZR1 can be the engine mule.

V-Smooth
11-27-07, 09:33 PM
:horse:

Ya cant help but wonder....."2009 CTS-V to be powered by the zr-1 ls9!" sure sounds damn good to me. Hey, I'm just assuming that this might happen based upon what Lutz has been claiming. 650hp would make the 'uber boys pucker.

A pipe dream but one hell of a nice motor. That thing belongs in a museium, ikt's a fine work of art.
LS9 in O9! the campaign begins NOW :alchi:

Florian
11-27-07, 10:57 PM
I saw that about a year ago.

F

V-Smooth
11-28-07, 12:12 AM
:zing:

SLPR 6.0L
11-28-07, 12:25 AM
Anyone else notice that little thing in front of the blower called the supercharger pulley? Swap it out for a smaller one, shrink the belt, and off you go.. spin the blower faster = instant boost increase. It will literally cost you hundreds and a few hours (plus tune) to acheive the performance gains that cost thousands and days/weeks with all previous LS motors. Most GM enthusiasts are not familiar with the benefits of factory SC apps because the automaker just hasn't done much in this area recently. All that is going to change. I hope someone is smart enough to start working on the pulley mods before the V comes out... the ZR1 can be the engine mule.

I currently have a Thasher pulley on a 99 Riviera. A friend and I swapped pulleys in a couple hours. S/C pulley mod has the most HP/$, that is if factory boost is low out of the factory. Does anyone know what kind of boost the LS9 will come out of the factory with? Will it have forged or a hyper-eutectic piston?

Jpjr
11-28-07, 09:33 AM
I currently have a Thasher pulley on a 99 Riviera. A friend and I swapped pulleys in a couple hours. S/C pulley mod has the most HP/$, that is if factory boost is low out of the factory. Does anyone know what kind of boost the LS9 will come out of the factory with? Will it have forged or a hyper-eutectic piston?

I can (almost) guarantee it will be 8lbs or lower. The fact is that 1) this has to be a warranty motor and boost does not age a motor like wine, and 2) GM does not have a deep history with power adders on late model motors and will want to be careful. You could probably do the math.... 6.2L 430hp NA + X lbs of boost = 550hp. I believe that Ford got 500hp out of their Shelby 5.4L with 8lbs. That was DOHC, but don't think that will make much differnece.

With the way we be able to mod this new V, it will suck the doors off of just about anything on the street including an M5 that cannot be easily modified.

trukk
11-28-07, 10:06 AM
<SNIP>
With the way we be able to mod this new V, it will suck the doors off of just about anything on the street including an M5 that cannot be easily modified.
</SNIP>

What do you mean, the M5 is easy to mod. With a mere 6.5K check to Dinan, you can add about 20 rwhp/ 15 rwtq! :bigroll:

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=15&Chassis=40&Model=102

-Chris

1FASTSS
11-28-07, 10:39 AM
I wonder if that would mount to the top of an LS6.

This will not mount up to an LS6. It might to a LS2 though. If you really wanted this setup it would be big $$ to do. Much easier to get the same power from the aftermarket vs Chevy parts.

I would just wait for the crate engine to be released and do a swap:thumbsup:

V-Smooth
11-28-07, 11:58 AM

:werd:

NormV
11-28-07, 12:21 PM
LS6 and LS2 intakes are interchangeable...hmmm.

Norm

This will not mount up to an LS6. It might to a LS2 though. If you really wanted this setup it would be big $$ to do. Much easier to get the same power from the aftermarket vs Chevy parts.

trukk
11-28-07, 12:56 PM

Norm

Gen III/IV have a cathedral port. Gen V have the square port (like the LS7). It might bolt up, but the mismatch would probabaly be pretty bad. Then again, with FI, who really cares, just up the boost.

-Chris

TexasLonghorn
11-28-07, 01:33 PM

Norm

The ls9 will likely be very similar to the ls3. If this is true it will use the L92/LS3 heads. This means that if you have an LS2 you can swap L92/LS3 heads on, and this new LS9 blower should bolt up. The L92/LS3 heads will not fit the LS1 because the bore is too small.

1FASTSS
11-28-07, 04:17 PM
Yes LS2 and LS6 intakes are interchangable but I'm sure this engine has the newer L92 style heads which this intake desgin is based off of and those will not bolt up to a LS6 becuase of the bore size and the heads have different ports. Sorry, I confused myself with that one. The head ports are different between LS6/LS2 and LS3/7 and I bet LS9

1FASTSS
11-28-07, 04:20 PM
should have read the whole thread....:alchi: