: carfax sucks

CadMan4life
11-27-07, 01:29 AM
Had it done today to check out whats been done with my catera. Wasnt that useful for the 30 bucks I paid. "service performed" yea what kind? It aint bad but for 30 dollars it aint worth it.

CadMan4life
11-27-07, 01:33 AM
forgot to mention there was more them usual of this servicing done that usual for a car (duh its a catera). I feel bad for the 2nd owner of it. Best details I got was engine, suspension and 4 wheel alignment service. Also the oil change but thats obvious.

nerdifiedgeek
11-27-07, 08:28 AM
Mostly what it's used for is red flagging stuff like if the odometer reads 50k at one visit, then later down the road reads lower. It's not really meant to show records like when they did specific things to it because it would be very inaccurate then.

yellowxhoodie
11-27-07, 12:25 PM
i completely disagree. Carfax saved me from buying soooo many lemon cars. They all looked flawless to the eye, but when plugged into carfax, like 6 out of 10 of them couldnt pass emmisions, 2 had odometer rollbacks, and 1 was in an accident. While it may not be worth it to get carfax to check on a cars services its def worth it if your buying a car and want to know stuff like emmisions, accidents, owners, states its been in, and rollbacks. Thats why i save all my records for everything, so if i ever sell my car, the buyer knows i spoil the cat.

cateraowner
11-27-07, 01:52 PM
you guys are right carfax sucks if you want to kow what's done on your car. best way is to track down the mechanic or dealership the worked on the car mostly (hoping the the previous owners didn't take it to too many places.) and asked them. I called the cadillac here the other day to find out more about my cat and she read out what showed up until 2003 (last time it was in a caddy dealership for service).

but if you're looking for a used car it's awsome. 30 bucks for unlimited car look ups. not too bad.

CateraMV6
11-27-07, 03:39 PM
or you can always find someone who got the unlimited thing for a month and ask nicely to get the report from them... thus you pay nothing... I've done it many times... and it worked flawlessly every time.

mrplease
11-30-07, 01:43 AM
yeah carfax has saved me from buying a few POS cars... i'd pay $100 + for a car fax before i made a $20,000 mistake...

you'd have to be crazy to buy a used car w/o a carfax! and if you think getting a carfax report is to try to see whats been serviced on a car, your mistaken man...

investor74
11-30-07, 10:27 PM
I'd go with the Carfax. There's a awful lot of worthless flooded out cars from Katrina and other disasters that have been cleaned up and are for sale. These cars will never work right again.

RESDEP
12-25-07, 02:19 AM
I bought a 98 Camaro in 2001, and it showed a $300 paint repair as the only repair. After buying the car, and looking closely, I could see that the entire rear end, lid, both rear fenders, as well as the ground effects had all been repainted.:lies:
Evidently the previous(and only other) owner paid for a lot of the repairs out of his own pocket.
That type of repair seems to never show up on carfax.
Use Carfax, JUST BE CAREFUL!!!

urbanski
12-25-07, 07:43 AM
if you wanted service records, you should have had a GM dealer run the VIN. thats not what carfax is for.