: Questions, Questions, and more Questions

Chicano-Mexicano
11-26-07, 03:01 PM
I have been interested in the 1992 to 1995 Eldo's and as you know in 1993 the northstar was introduced and by 94 had replaced the 4.9 now I was wondering if (as a 19 year old college studnet with a budget) it would make sense to go for the northstar. but I have heard a lot of bad things as far as reliability and part prices go and have kind of been wary of them. could you guys give me some tips as cadillac owners (I assume most of you have a cadillac with a northstar or "had") what I can expect from an engine of that model with high milage (100,000-167,000).

Chicano-Mexicano
11-26-07, 04:25 PM
No one wnats to help a Vato out?

Ranger
11-26-07, 04:39 PM
It's only been an hour and a half since your first post. Give it some time.

Any car with 100-200K has a potential for problems. Things wear out. Some older Northstars have a tendency to loose head gaskets. It is an expensive repair if it happens. If you can't afford it, look for a reliable 4.9.

creeker
11-26-07, 04:45 PM
No one wnats to help a Vato out?

Nobody's ignoring you,but there's already tons of info on your question,
check the seville/eldorado section and the northstar engine section,I'm sure you will find lots of helpful data. .Like any high mileage car,it's history of maintenace is very important. Good luck

Chicano-Mexicano
11-26-07, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I know I should probably wait a little longer but it just seams that when a new topic goes up it instantly get 5 or more replies and when I do it it's ghost central, but I do get that it's because its a similar topic to ones all ready posted. So just to cover all the bases what engine do you personaly feel is the most reliable the 93 to 95 Northstar's or the 4.9 in general I know engines will differ form owner to owner depending on millage and how well maintained they are.

misfit6794
11-26-07, 05:39 PM
Get a camry if your on a budget maintainence wise, nothing is really a cheap or easy fix on caddies, engine or otherwise. In my opinion the 4.9L is far less problematic than the northstar. But if you get a car that has been neglected it won't matter what engine you get, it wil spend most of its time in the shop.

Submariner409
11-26-07, 05:55 PM
FWIW, having put 3 daughters through college and some grad work, and now watching 2 grandchildren on the same path, the LAST thing you need is a car which, by anyone's admission, will EAT gas and nickel-dime you to death. Suffer through the runs for pizza and the local woods at midnight in an econobox, save some coin, and graduate with a mint '03 STS.

(An early '90's Cadillac or N* Cadillac is living on borrowed time: not terminal, but expensive.)

Chicano-Mexicano
11-26-07, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=misfit6794;1306155]Get a camry if your on a budget maintainence wise, nothing is really a cheap or easy fix on caddies, engine or otherwise.

Not on a maintainence budget because I do most of my own auto work when applicable so thats not a problem and all I really wanted to know what engine as most likely to cause the fewest problems in general cause as I stated before I know that its mantinence history has a major impact on the reliability of the engine and thats why you don't by a repo!

misfit6794
11-26-07, 10:30 PM
Get the 4.9, unless you've worked on a northstar before, its a bitch, for instance, the starter is under the intake manifold.

Ranger
11-26-07, 10:38 PM
all I really wanted to know what engine as most likely to cause the fewest problems in general
The 4.9

clarkz71
11-27-07, 06:11 AM
I agree with Ranger, the 4.9 is a better first Caddy.

Chicano-Mexicano
11-27-07, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the help guy I really appreciate it and I guess I'll stick to the 1992-1993 Eldo's with the 4.9 then.