: Power steering pump whine and dealer

sy1172
11-26-07, 02:33 PM
Ever since it's been getting colder, my power steering pump has been whining, more as I turn the wheel left and right and eventually goes away 10-15 minutes after engine warms up. 48 degrees today and it's doing it! I complained to the dealer to which they said it's normal. Huh??? A 53 thousand dollar car and this is normal??? :bigroll: Why does GM think everything it "normal". My drivetrain slop to the clutch noise to the power steering whine to the who else knows what. Is this just GM crap again or has someone actually got a dealer to replace this under warranty? I really want to support GM and actually go to an STS-V next but s&*t like this makes me crazy.

Thanks,

Vince

BigAndyZV
11-26-07, 03:11 PM
hot weather=the chemical fluid expads. cold weather=fluid contracts. When the fluid contracts, the space created is filled w air, which is the noise you hear. The sound goes away after 10-15 mins bc the fluid heats up, expands, and takes the air out. I had this happen last winter, they just topped off the fluid just above the max line. So now even when it contracts when its cold, there is still enough fluid where it wont make a noise. Never had a problem with it again.

sy1172
11-26-07, 04:56 PM
hot weather=the chemical fluid expads. cold weather=fluid contracts. When the fluid contracts, the space created is filled w air, which is the noise you hear. The sound goes away after 10-15 mins bc the fluid heats up, expands, and takes the air out. I had this happen last winter, they just topped off the fluid just above the max line. So now even when it contracts when its cold, there is still enough fluid where it wont make a noise. Never had a problem with it again.

OK, thank you...this makes sense and I will try this. Why does this only happen on GM stuff and never my prev. audi or bmw or Saab or VW or Volvo or MB or...... get the point. Why didn't the dealer do this?

WHYTRY
11-26-07, 05:18 PM
My Benz did it, so did my 84, 87 Camaro and 03 Cobra. Small problem don't let it get to you

theloanman219
11-26-07, 10:58 PM
car is in the shop for that right now. Im suppose to pick it up tomorrow. I will let you know.

Gene

z06bigbird
11-26-07, 11:23 PM
Taurus cars do this; crown vics do not.

You can add B&G additive or lucas additive for NOISY P S PUMPS. They also make an additive for leaking pumps.

Buy the correct one.

Twitch
11-27-07, 12:29 AM
Mine did it. Added fluid the other day, and its fine.
No biggie,,,but if your dealer is THAT lazy, you should really look for another one.

You'll always have issues with sports cars. Both my SLSs and my pops STS had no problems.

Crown Vic Owner
11-27-07, 12:32 AM
Taurus cars do this; crown vics do not.

You can add B&G additive or lucas additive for NOISY P S PUMPS. They also make an additive for leaking pumps.

Buy the correct one.
My crown vic does it

i just change the fluid, and douche it.

I have used a additive once or twice.

In your case, id have the fluid changed, and if it still does it throw a shitfit at the dealer.

CIWS
11-27-07, 10:08 AM
Mine started doing it when the cold weather hit as well. As others have already mentioned just fill up to the max fill point on the reservoir / dip stick and it should solve it. It did with mine, even as it got colder, no more noise.

No biggie,,,but if your dealer is THAT lazy, you should really look for another one.

Agreed, but also go back and tell them what YOU did to solve the problem, that's it's not "normal" and please remember this for the next customer that comes in with the issue.

z06bigbird
11-27-07, 10:18 AM
When they tell you it is normal, do at least one of following:

Calmly sit with serv mgr; explain that you need some help. Do not attack, and he/whe will respond appropriately and helpfully.

Go to new car dept and ask to start a couple of cars to see their 'normal' sound.

Remember not to trash anyone, as you will need their assistance over the next xx number of years. Courtesy is contagious.

ronr
11-27-07, 10:38 AM
In 3 years of driving my car the first time I experienced this was this morning. Looks like I need to add some too :)

theloanman219
11-27-07, 02:17 PM
OK went to pick my car up yesterday. My service ad advisor is great. He pull my car into the service area while I brought back my 08 CTS rental (awsome car BTW). I walk out of enterprise ready to leave and Scott is just sitting in my car. I walked over to the window and he says now I hear it. When I brought it in that morning it was not doing it. Anways he had the tech, the manager and a bunch of other guys there and even after they added the fluid it still did it. Not as loud but it was also pretty warm outside. I had to go and get the 08 back and Im just waiting for them to call. They also replaced a rear mount while it was there. I will post when I get it back.

Gene

sy1172
11-27-07, 04:05 PM
When they tell you it is normal, do at least one of following:

Calmly sit with serv mgr; explain that you need some help. Do not attack, and he/whe will respond appropriately and helpfully.

Go to new car dept and ask to start a couple of cars to see their 'normal' sound.

Remember not to trash anyone, as you will need their assistance over the next xx number of years. Courtesy is contagious.

Well said!!!!

sy1172
11-27-07, 04:07 PM
In 3 years of driving my car the first time I experienced this was this morning. Looks like I need to add some too :)

That's kinda weird. Hot topic and now you hear it in your car.

ronr
11-27-07, 07:59 PM
That's kinda weird. Hot topic and now you hear it in your car.

Ironically, I came here specifically to search for a thread on this and there it was on the first page. So, more correctly stated, I head it and now it's a hot topic.