: Water Leakage

gspencer914
05-17-03, 08:12 PM
I've got water leaking from my 1998 STS and I can't figure out where. The water pump and housing does not seem to be leaking. All the hoses are fine, I have been all over the thing and it still leaks enough to turn on the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL. If anyone has had the same problem or know what it is please let me know. I'm in the process of installing a NOS system on the Northstar but that project is now on hold to cooling problem. I'm going to wait a few days until I break down and take it to caddy. Any ideas or suggestions will help greatly.
Thanks
George

Bruce Nunnally
05-17-03, 09:00 PM
Could be the head gasket; either get a kit to check for exhaust gases in the coolant, or simply look for lots of bubbles in the overflow.
Be sure you are using the sealant tabs in the coolant, as they can cure some block porosity issues.

eehoepp
05-18-03, 12:46 AM
If you are getting the check coolant level message and can find no visible coolant leaks, suspect a head gasket. This is exactly how the HG in my 94 STS showed itself. 3-4 days of adding coolant & then it overheated. Get it checked out.

gspencer914
05-18-03, 11:00 AM
There is a visable leak under the car, but only if it sits for a day or two. I see it leaking but I cannot see where it is leaking from. I have not ruled out the head gasket, it just seems like since it is leaking externally its got to be something simple. If not thats ok to. Any other ideas?

Chief31127
08-11-03, 10:48 AM
have you figured out the source yet?

I have been experiencing the same problem, but it doesn't seem to be that bad, but I do have to refill my radiator up 1 time a week now. I recently had my radiator replace, as well as my hoses, but I keep getting the same "Check coolant level" message. Does you overfill hose (that is attached to the resivour at the radiator cap) connect to anything, or does it just drain onto the ground?

eehoepp
08-11-03, 06:25 PM
The overflow hose with from the coolant reservoir does nto connect to anything. It just drains to the ground.

Katshot
08-11-03, 07:46 PM
Check the side of the block. This where some high-mileage Northstars have been developing a leak. As I recall, it's by #2 cylinder towards the top of the block. Check the whole thing since I COULD be remembering incorrectly. I just remember seeing the engines on the floor and they all had cracks in the right upper area when viewed fron the side.

gspencer914
08-19-03, 12:24 AM
Check the side of the block. This where some high-mileage Northstars have been developing a leak. As I recall, it's by #2 cylinder towards the top of the block. Check the whole thing since I COULD be remembering incorrectly. I just remember seeing the engines on the floor and they all had cracks in the right upper area when viewed fron the side.

Sorry,
I've since fixed the problem. The water pump was leaking out of the weep hole and the thermostat housing was also warped. It cost about 150.00 for parts and the tool to get the water pump out was like 70.00.

I dont really think it need to be replaced just quite yet but, its better to spend 250.00 than 10,000 on an engine. Happy hunting.
Geo