: New Clutch Needed?

2004 CTS-V
11-24-07, 10:36 PM
I am going to try my best to decribe the issues I have been having recently with the clutch in my 2004 CTS-V...From a stop, as I accelerate and let out the clutch, it seems to grab and surge as the clutch engages. It does this on all the gears, but it is worst in 1st gear and gets better as I go up the gears. It is particularly bad if I'm going up a hill, or really getting on the gas. It does not seem like it is slipping, just bucking...like when you first learned to drive a stick and you aren't giving enough gas so the car lurches forward and back. It isn't quite that violent yet, but it is certainly annoying, particularly for a passenger. The car has about 70K miles and I think it is the original clutch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chris

darkman
11-24-07, 11:16 PM
Check the clutch fluid level & quality first.

The service manual troubleshooting procedures for the clutch would have you first check the clutch pedal operation; then the hydraulics [master cylinder, fluid level & quality, the line, and the slave (acctuator) cylinder]; and finally the internal components (disc, pressure plate, flywheel, etc.).

If you can eliminate pedal operation and hydaulics then you are down to removing the clutch for inspection. At that point, with 70kmiles and given the time/cost of disassembly you would be better off replacing the clutch kit (flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate).

You might also want to consider a lightweight flywheel (UUC) if you have a relatively stock engine.

Ak Jim
11-24-07, 11:35 PM
Hey Darkman, why should the engine be relatively stock for the UCC flywheel? I do have the UCC and my engine is relatively stock. At what point does the UCC need to be changed and why?

darkman
11-25-07, 09:42 AM
Hey Darkman, why should the engine be relatively stock for the UCC flywheel? I do have the UCC and my engine is relatively stock. At what point does the UCC need to be changed and why?

This statement is based simply on the assumption that the UUC flywheel is used with a stock clutch disc and pressure plate, which I believe is good for up to 100 hp over stock. I have the UUC flywheel and love it.

I would look for a clutch upgrade if I were: (1) drag racing the car; or (2) increasing engine horsepower by more than 100 above stock. In either case, I would be looking at flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate combinations that were engineered as a "set", including, for example, Mcleod's Street Twin clutch.

The only non-stock clutch disc and pressure plate sets that I have found for use with the CTS-V stock flywheel (and presumbly the UUC) are the Spec 1,2,3 and 4 series. I have not seen any reports by someone using the Spec clutch sets with either the stock or the UUC flywheel and I have no independent opinion regarding Spec brand clutches.

Scatillac
11-25-07, 10:33 AM
The GMPD LS6-Z06 flywheel, disc and clutch cover assembly (PN 12570806) is an excellent choice also, and can be reasonably priced if you have a decent parts department relationship.

This unit comes factory balanced and ready to install after cleaning.

You'll need a spacer from Katech (#KAT-3816) or TPIS, since the flywheel/clutch package moves about .4 closer to the crankshaft mounting surface.

It's quite a bit lighter than the stock setup (about 30 lbs.), has a light feel, excellent driveability and holds additional power well in a non-drag race environment.

lunarx
11-25-07, 01:29 PM
I would look for a clutch upgrade if I were: (1) drag racing the car; or (2) increasing engine horsepower by more than 100 above stock. In either case, I would be looking at flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate combinations that were engineered as a "set", including, for example, Mcleod's Street Twin clutch.

Darkman,

What have you heard about the McLeod Street Twin?
I was considering the Borg & Beck PP Version.
I'm hearing it is too grabby (it's on or off) for street driving.
Any comments?

darkman
11-25-07, 01:55 PM
Darkman,

What have you heard about the McLeod Street Twin?
I was considering the Borg & Beck PP Version.
I'm hearing it is too grabby (it's on or off) for street driving.
Any comments?

I have not driven anything with a McLeod Street Twin installed and cannot answer your question concerning its driveability based on direct knowledge. I used Mcleod as an example because they have an excellent reputation for reliability among engine builders and drag racers. I have not heard of a reputation for being too grabby, but have heard that the Street Twin does have a reputation for providing instant, reliable disengagement that helps gear changing on the street.

Black Sunshine
11-26-07, 11:31 AM
What's with all this talk about lightened flywheels? I have some very experienced friends that insist the you SHOULDN'T use a lightened flywheel. They seem to like the mass for a heavy car.

Comments?

lunarx
11-26-07, 11:36 AM
What's with all this talk about lightened flywheels? I have some very experienced friends that insist the you SHOULDN'T use a lightened flywheel. They seem to like the mass for a heavy car.

Comments?

Obviously they are Drag Racers.

Road Course guys love LWFW for the response and easy rev-matching on downshifts.

It is a bit harder to get rolling though, but not bad with a smooth clutch.

With a grabby clutch it is a bear to get moving smothly on the street.

darkman
11-26-07, 11:41 AM
There are several earlier threads on this, such as:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/109377-uuc-lightweight-flywheel-sale.html

stkshkr
11-26-07, 12:55 PM
FWIW I have the Textralia with 8# flywheel, great street manners, pedal feel, no chatter and no problem at the strip

Black Sunshine
11-26-07, 01:27 PM
Thanks for being so forthcoming with your specs. We appreciate it.

Have you had to do any internal tranny mods?

stkshkr
11-27-07, 01:41 AM
Nope that's probably the next thing to go...LOL

Black Sunshine
11-27-07, 09:30 AM
Where did you buy your clutch setup?

I'm running a Stage III 4L60E in the Impala. I bought it from a friend in Sweden who went to a 4L80E in his Impala. He races all over Europe and is an editor for a big racing publication. He shipped his car over here 2 years ago to have the engine gone thru by his builder in Orlando and do some racing. I talked him into throwing the tranny into the container with his car and bringing it to me. He gave me a smokin' deal.

He actually has one of the best car websites I've ever seen with gobs of info about everything he's done to his car. What worked and what didn't. www.blackout.com (http://www.blackout.com) Check out the Blackout SS link on the left and click on any spot on the car you want to see what he's done. Hell you could spend an hour or two reading some great info. (I made the fashion page! :eek:)

Now this man means business in his big car. He got a nice sponsorship check for pulling this off.

http://www.blackout.nu/media/HotRod0604.jpg

lunarx
11-27-07, 11:28 AM
Where did you buy your clutch setup?

I'm running a Stage III 4L60E in the Impala. I bought it from a friend in Sweden who went to a 4L80E in his Impala. He races all over Europe and is an editor for a big racing publication. He shipped his car over here 2 years ago to have the engine gone thru by his builder in Orlando and do some racing. I talked him into throwing the tranny into the container with his car and bringing it to me. He gave me a smokin' deal.

He actually has one of the best car websites I've ever seen with gobs of info about everything he's done to his car. What worked and what didn't. www.blackout.com (http://www.blackout.com) Check out the Blackout SS link on the left and click on any spot on the car you want to see what he's done. Hell you could spend an hour or two reading some great info. (I made the fashion page! :eek:)

Now this man means business in his big car. He got a nice sponsorship check for pulling this off.

http://www.blackout.nu/media/HotRod0604.jpg

LOL - That's crazy when you can show up to the track with your track car towing your trailer.

stkshkr
11-27-07, 12:28 PM
Got it from here
http://www.byunspeed.com/
No link to a car on blackout.com

lunarx
11-27-07, 02:23 PM
Got it from here
http://www.byunspeed.com/

As I was researching clutches;

Can people with Tex specify which version they have and how they like it? :cool:

There are 4 different versions (maybe more) of the Tex.

OZ700 X-Grip

OZ700 Z-Grip

Exo-Skel Standard

Exo-Skel Kevlar

Just saying you got a Tex is not enough info to help others with making a selection. :hmm:

I do believe all versions run a Steel Billet Flywheel though.
I'm not sure if the Al FW option is currently offered.

Black Sunshine
11-27-07, 03:57 PM

First off, my bad. Wrong addy. Here's the correct one.
http://www.blackout.nu/
Move your cursor over the left side of the screen and the links will light up.

stkshkr
11-27-07, 08:02 PM
I have the OZ700 when I got mine there was no X or Z. The aluminum flywheel is still available