: Tire rubbing

darvish
11-24-07, 04:54 PM
I went to change to my snow tires and found the inboard tread from BOTH front tires had been torn off. It appears that the tire inside edge of the tread is making contact with the front chassis mount on both left and right front tires... both are destroyed in the same manner. Car has never been wrecked drives straight with no other unusual tire wear indicating a misalignment. I am using stock wheels with the 5th set of F1s..... What would cause a car steering to turn tighter than it used to?

Any thoughts?

Bill
St Louis

Jon
11-24-07, 06:55 PM
Are you using the stock tire size?

darvish
11-24-07, 07:27 PM
Are you using the stock tire size?

yup

I have since figured out what my problem was.... and i really feel stupid

When the ambient temp went down the air in the tires followed the law..... PV=NRT... and a couple of mornings my tire pressure was about ohhhhhhh 24 PSI... being the lazy bastard I am, I ingnored the warning and drove to work figuring.... no problem I will heat the tires up and VIOLA the pressure will rise... WELLLLLLL... long story short there is a VERY VERY nice road i take to work that i practice apexing, double declutch downshifting, heel toeing and trail braking on..... with the decreased tire presure the sidewall deflection was such that is caused fouling on the front lower A arm chassis mount.

Sometimes I am so stupid i scare myself.

Bill
St Louis

darkman
11-24-07, 08:01 PM
Sounds odd given that the car and tires are supposed to work with no air pressure at all.

darvish
11-24-07, 08:06 PM
Sounds odd given that the car and tires are supposed to work with no air pressure at all.

I do not think they designed the tire to be driven hard with very low pressures, but you do have a point.

Bill