: Near Miss at VIR

v-sam
11-24-07, 03:28 PM
A buddy of mine sent me the link to this video. Holy crap that was close!

Play the You Tube video at the top of the page.

I think Truck and I might have been there for that event but I dont remember hearing about this encounter.

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-competition/15727-close-call-track.html

c5 rv
11-24-07, 03:43 PM
"Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."

thebigjimsho
11-24-07, 04:04 PM
Holy Yikes! I guess it is easy to lose it on that rise with too much throttle...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
11-24-07, 04:29 PM
When were you there? I remember seeing this video over a year ago so it's not a recent event.

v-sam
11-24-07, 11:09 PM
This June I think.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
11-25-07, 01:38 AM
Yeah, this vid is from way before that. Still crazy to watch it again though.

CVP33
11-25-07, 01:47 AM
Watch all the way to the end. Talk about lucky.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8591692764313191735&q=Virginia+International+raceway&total=277&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

trukk
11-26-07, 12:07 PM
Watch all the way to the end. Talk about lucky.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8591692764313191735&q=Virginia+International+raceway&total=277&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

No chaos in two weeks please :D

BTW, how much HP do those SRT-8 Valve stem covers add? PICS PLEASE!!!

-Chris

NormV
11-26-07, 10:48 PM
The Mustang driver looked like an advanced driver as he left the asphalt. Loosened steering input when approaching the grass. Looked like he might have overheated the tires as there was nothing he could do and his speed was the same as previous laps. His big mistake was playing cat and mouse with the quattro and ended up over his head quickly. A seasoned driver would have started to slide and backed off.

The up hill esses can be tricky when adding allot of speed each lap. VIR is a very high speed course with track irregularities showing up. Best approach is to build up slowly.

I have lit up the tc light before just past the tree on the front straight. :)

There is another bobble area at the end of the up hill esses on top before the last down hill before oak tree(T9?)

Norm

CVP33
11-26-07, 10:52 PM
No chaos in two weeks please :D

BTW, how much HP do those SRT-8 Valve stem covers add? PICS PLEASE!!!

-Chris

Unfortunately the rear ones no longer have the SRT8 logos. They spun off. :yup:

AAIIIC
11-28-07, 11:19 AM
When were you there? I remember seeing this video over a year ago so it's not a recent event.
Yeah, that's been around a while - I just found it on another forum I frequent posted back in June '05.

Holy Yikes! I guess it is easy to lose it on that rise with too much throttle...
Or if you drive like an ass-clown.

A few quotes from that other forum:

This just happened at the Mazdadrivers event this past weekend. I attended but was not in the B group, thankfully I was in A group. This particular "tool" in the viper had just gotten his car back from the body shop after wadding it up at another event at VIR. He's quite overzealous in his driving. Most are saying that the BMW gave the wave to the two Vette's and didn't even see the Viper coming. The viper was in the kink on the front straight, hit the little dip in the road, added some steering then overcorrected the opposite way right in front of the BMW. Lucky nobody got hurt, it could have been a bad hit.

Most are in agreement that guy needs to take up another high dollar activity, maybe celebrity golf......

Just a quick heads up, that was my dad in a '90 E30 M3, he had given the viper a wave by, the viper had gone offline and realized he was way offline for the turn. Viper tried to quickly get back onto the "proper" line for the turn rather than just slowing further and taking a less ideal line, the guy lifted, got on the brakes, and it went as you see there.

Bonehead move with a 650 hp (modded) car.

The chief instructor for the club I run with (www.thscc.com) has spoken with the instructor who was in the car. While not first hand information, I trust both parties, and it was reported that the passing move was jerky and caused the spin.

The Mustang driver looked like an advanced driver as he left the asphalt. Loosened steering input when approaching the grass. Looked like he might have overheated the tires as there was nothing he could do and his speed was the same as previous laps. His big mistake was playing cat and mouse with the quattro and ended up over his head quickly. A seasoned driver would have started to slide and backed off.
I'm pretty sure that was a Tbird Super Coupe. I think I even know what car it is from previous VIR events. It's an American Iron or AIX car now (although when that video was taken it doesn't appear to be all stickered up and fully race prepped.)

Concur that the guy in the Mustang knew what he was doing, which just goes to show that even good drivers make mistakes. (Duh! :)) It looked to me like the slower car threw off his rhythm and he took the 2nd turn to the left wrong (turned in too early), which then meant he couldn't make turn 9 (the last right).

trukk
11-28-07, 12:25 PM
<SNIP>

I'm pretty sure that was a Tbird Super Coupe. I think I even know what car it is from previous VIR events. It's an American Iron or AIX car now (although when that video was taken it doesn't appear to be all stickered up and fully race prepped.)
<SNIP>

I saw that guy at my last VIR event. I think he was instructing for my friend Ron (white e36 m3). That car sounds awesome now. Seeing a T-Bird in AIX form is really cool.

-Chris