: Highway Experience left my Car Damaged, and Me Very Angry!

Ralph
05-04-04, 04:22 AM
I was coming home on the highway today. About half way home, two semi's with large box trailers turned onto the road in front of me about half a km or so. I'm keeping my speed because I got the cruise set, and the passing lane (two-way HW) is clear, so I passed the semi that was behind the leader. There was quite a gap between them. Then the leader got up to my speed (105 kph or 65 mph or so) so I stayed behind the lead semi for a few minutes. Then, all of a sudden, the semi I passed creeps up on me and passes just to get close to the lead semi! I was about to pass the leader, but I guess he didn't like me in between them or something?! Then, I get this huge rock hitting my windshield, and I'm so stunned and angry I hit the brakes, pulled into the shoulder, get out and look at it. It's not a crack (yet) but it's quite a chip! Good thing no one but crows were around to hear my language!

So, off I go again, and I eventually catch up to the dynamic duo of dips**ts, and pass them in anger at around 140 kph. Who ever said pushrods are nothing in the top end must drive mine!

My questions to you are, what do you do to avoid stone chips? Do you:

1. slow down if a semi passes you?
2. slow down AND go a little into the shoulder?
3. Not let the semi pass and speed up?
4. Not care enough about your car to bother caring?
5. Remain Very close to the semi hoping to add more stone chips to your collection?
5. Think I'm too paranoid and should just get over it?

I will be leaning toward number 2 and play it very cautiously for a long time to come. I wil also try to avoid large semis, but that's impossible to do sometimes! Most if not all stone chips I have received on my cars have been from these large trucks. To be expected I guess. :rolleyes:

Msilva954
05-04-04, 08:05 AM
Ive never seen canadian roads but ill tell you......the roads in South Florida are pretty good but the crap that drives on them isnt.......You should see the mothers 01' BMW, there are stone chips galore. Everything from the BMW emblom to the paint are completely chipped. And to top it off, once you hit the highway there are a ton of dumpsters and semi's everywhere.

Dont know if you notice but its the semi's that pollute the road ways and when close enough I can always here the little rocks hitting the car.........whats so freaky is that you can actually see them too, even at 75mph. I just back as far off as possible when near anything bigger then a minivan and I always avoid anything that sits too high without mudflaps.

At least it was just your windshield and not the paint work. Look in your local yellow pages and look up windshield repair, there are people that do this for a living and they can fill the chip up. Also with such a beautiful car you should look into those (clear Bras) made by 3M and other companies.

airbalancer
05-04-04, 09:03 AM
Have they started to use asphalt in Sask. yet lol
That is the sh*t's.
What happens if the truck is only going about 100 kpm(60 mph) do you pass?
This winter a truck was losing the ice and snow from the top of his trailer.
I though I timed it right, as it was not losing anything for a while so I started to pass and a big piece camed down on the window shield lucky nothing broke.
Maybe there should be better laws for the design of trailers

RBraczyk
05-04-04, 09:50 AM
Glass chips cost around 20 bucks to repair and all it leaves is a little spot on your windshield. You should be ok though. US roads are lots worse than canadien.

ThomasO
05-04-04, 09:57 AM

tru504187211
05-04-04, 10:02 AM
Hands down #3.

ttown
05-04-04, 10:16 AM
I never follow big trucks, and if I am passing, I do it as quickly and safely as possible. Too much flying debree in the past.

Sandy
05-04-04, 02:36 PM
If the truck is in the slow lane (far right) I go to the far left fast lane, if he's in the fast lane I go to the slow lane. If it just 2 lanes, I fall back and let him get ahead. Tons of them in New Jersey with all the interstates that run thru here!

brougham
05-04-04, 02:39 PM
I would have probably gotten around the front truck to begin with. I don't like following big trucks too much beccause of things like that and because sometimes they can be slow to speed up after corners or stpos. If the 2nd truck is trying to pass there's nothing you can do. If he wants to do that for no reason he could also try to scare you into backing off so that he can get infront of you.

"US roads are lots worse than canadien."
:histeric: :lies:

ShadowLvr400
05-04-04, 04:03 PM
FL, insurance has to replace the windshield, and without a rate increase. Check your state on that. As for how to avoid it in the future, I cruise too fast to get involved like that. Speed limit's 70 most highways here, I cruise 80 or more. Don't like following trucks much. A little paranoia is a good thing, but also relax, stuff like that happens. It's a fact of life.

Elvis
05-04-04, 05:02 PM
Those trucks should've had mudflaps like this:

http://store5.yimg.com/I/logoitems_1787_25578460

Which is also my advice. Drive defensively.

shaggygrosser
05-04-04, 06:28 PM
2 years ago when I had a Grand Am, I was driving through rural Kansas on highway 24 (2 lane highway). There was a quarry in the area with semi's hauling rocks in the on-coming lane. One semi lost a rock from its load. The rock wasn't too big, but it left a nice fat chip on my hood. So if the Semi was doing about 50mph, and I was doing about 65mph, it's the equivalent of firing a rock at 115mph into my hood. Good thing it was only a Grand Am at the time.

CoupeDevilleRob
05-04-04, 07:19 PM
I do whatever I can to not be behing big trucks. Besides having stuff hurtled at your car, I don't like not being able to see ahead of them. The most effective way in New York to avoid big trucks is to use parkways. Commercial vehicles are banned from parkways, they can only use expressways.

Ralph
05-04-04, 07:44 PM
Have they started to use asphalt in Sask. yet lol
That is the sh*t's.
What happens if the truck is only going about 100 kpm(60 mph) do you pass?
This winter a truck was losing the ice and snow from the top of his trailer.
I though I timed it right, as it was not losing anything for a while so I started to pass and a big piece camed down on the window shield lucky nothing broke.
Maybe there should be better laws for the design of trailers

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. And the advice!

Yup, we have paved roads, except the country roads where these trucks came from.

Air, if the truck is doing 100, then usually I would pass because everyone else passes me at the speed limit! I usually set the cruise to 103 or 5.

I just don't understand why he didn't like me in between them. I guess they DO own the road. :rolleyes2

Ralph
05-04-04, 07:47 PM
2 years ago when I had a Grand Am, I was driving through rural Kansas on highway 24 (2 lane highway). There was a quarry in the area with semi's hauling rocks in the on-coming lane. One semi lost a rock from its load. The rock wasn't too big, but it left a nice fat chip on my hood. So if the Semi was doing about 50mph, and I was doing about 65mph, it's the equivalent of firing a rock at 115mph into my hood. Good thing it was only a Grand Am at the time.

I've been hit from the oncoming lane like that with my other cars I've owned. All it takes is a stone in the tread that gets loose. Good thing you weren't on a motorcycle!! :p

Ralph
05-04-04, 07:58 PM
I would have probably gotten around the front truck to begin with. I don't like following big trucks too much beccause of things like that and because sometimes they can be slow to speed up after corners or stpos. If the 2nd truck is trying to pass there's nothing you can do. If he wants to do that for no reason he could also try to scare you into backing off so that he can get infront of you.

"US roads are lots worse than canadien."
:histeric: :lies:

That's the problem, I was working on the lead truck, but they both got up to speed. I guess I never should have passed, but I hate hitting the brakes when I got a good speed going. Plus, sometimes you pass someone, then they catch up and pass YOU, and then you feel like a dumbass. I think if someone passes you, then they should make an effort to stay well ahead of the car they passed, and not slow down again.

Ralph
05-04-04, 08:01 PM
Those trucks should've had mudflaps like this:

http://store5.yimg.com/I/logoitems_1787_25578460

Which is also my advice. Drive defensively.
Ya know, I've seen a lot of cars with those mudflaps. The problem is it makes people tailgate even worse! Kinda like when I park sideways and I get a car park the same way beside me LOL!

Thomas O, you are probably correct on that number 5 advice. Since this was the FIRST physical damage on this car, it bothered me at the time. :shhh:

Pimpin_Whity
05-04-04, 08:12 PM
we dont have rocks on roads here in modern countries :rolleyes2. but if i see a truck catch up and i have space i downshift to 2 or 3 and floor it.......j/k. i speed up so they dont catch up though, i dont feel safe around big vehicles. i feel sorry for you Ralph, i wouldn't like a rock hit my windshield :rant2:

BTW, Natasha is looking nice today ;)

Pimpin_Whity
05-04-04, 08:16 PM
That's the problem, I was working on the lead truck, but they both got up to speed. I guess I never should have passed, but I hate hitting the brakes when I got a good speed going. Plus, sometimes you pass someone, then they catch up and pass YOU, and then you feel like a dumbass. I think if someone passes you, then they should make an effort to stay well ahead of the car they passed, and not slow down again.i just pass people to have fun or start a race :rolleyes:, it's not fun driving slow.

Ralph
05-04-04, 08:33 PM
we dont have rocks on roads here in modern countries :rolleyes2.

:want: Canada vs. U.S.A.! Don't get me mad or I'll have to drive my pink car on down the road while crying! :p

Pimpin_Whity
05-04-04, 08:43 PM
:want: Canada vs. U.S.A.!South Park already did that :disappoin

Night Wolf
05-04-04, 09:46 PM
hmmm, if talking about the thruway/interstate... 2 lanes in each direction.... trucks are never an issue with me.... their governors are 65mph (speed limit of the road) I keep the cruise set from 72-78 (depending on my mood) so I pass then quickly..... I don't hang around for anything to happen....

....if it is a regular road, I keep a distance, or if I know the road, and there is a passing zone, I'll go for it....

My car does have alot of rock chips on the leading edge of the hood, side mirros and windsheild.... most from previous owners (it was a FL. car) but nothing too bad....

clutterking
05-19-04, 03:34 PM
More like 15mph realitive velocity, but still enough to screw up your paint http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/irked.gif

Dead Sled
05-19-04, 03:53 PM
you got off easy with a chip

last week my dad had a brick thrown from an overpass that went through the windsheild of his semi.

man there's alot of trucker haters here. every one need to take a ride in one some time in their life. people dont realize how much work it is to controll 80000 pounds in a combination over 70 feet long. most drivers are oblivious to any thing that goes on further than 2 feet outside thier bubble in their car. we are the drivers. we are held to a higher standard and we've seen too many accidents and thats why we don;t want your to be the bolongna in the middle of a truck sandwich. stay out of the No Zones and dont cut us off. merge on to the highway at HIGHWAY speeds. and by all means drive safe.

well I'll stop ranting. hopefully i said something that will change someone

lowscola
05-20-04, 03:07 PM
The front of my deville is peppered with chip marks but thats not my biggest problem. The outside lens of my night vision camera was broken two weeks ago. I noticed it while washing the car. When I went to wipe the lens of I couldn't believe it. I can't imagine what the replacement lens will be. I've sealed it with plastic to keep water out as I'm not in a rush to get it replaced just to have it broken again. I'll have to come up with something to make sure it can't happen again like putting something infront of it - clear plastic, glass or something. Cadillac should have provided a shutter that closes when not in use ( which is most of the time for me ).

And NightWolf, all trucks are not governed. I see some going over 65 from time to time.