: power steering sound??

theloanman219
11-23-07, 08:55 PM
The wife and I are moving back north. We are staying at my inlaws. My car is not in the garage at night and when I start it, the noise it makes is very bad. I have a appointment on monday at the dealer. Does anyone know about this? I know that it is not the diff because when I turn the wheel the sound changes.

Gene

AAIIIC
11-23-07, 09:18 PM
Without any description of the noise it's kind of hard to diagnose it.

z06bigbird
11-23-07, 09:30 PM
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I suspect it growls at idle speed whenever he moves steering wheel. If I am correct on this situation, you could do one of the following:

1. suction out old p s fluid with a turkey baster. Replace it with one or two containers of additive from B & G or Lucas. Then jack up front end and turn wheels lock to lock about 30 times with motor running. Then drive car for about 30 min. Most of noise will be gone.

2. Or remove low pressure p s hose and jack up car. Need one more person plus yourself. Connect hose to open container for removal of old fluid. Also, plug us hole in p s reservoir. Keep motor off. When front end of car is in air, turn wheels right to left, etc about 30 times. Make sure fluid in reservoir does not get low enough to create air bubbles in system. (Have second person re-fill reservoir as needed.

Then fill up reservoir with additive and new fluid.

Good to go. (Causes of growl are: air in system. That can be corrected by jacking up front end; motor on; turning wheels lock to lock about 20 times.) On the other hand, if someone previously ran the p s pump low on fluid, there might be some metal shavings in there (plus the air). Changing fluid/adding additive will help.

theloanman219
11-23-07, 09:39 PM
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I suspect it growls at idle speed whenever he moves steering wheel. If I am correct on this situation, you could do one of the following:

1. suction out old p s fluid with a turkey baster. Replace it with one or two containers of additive from B & G or Lucas. Then jack up front end and turn wheels lock to lock about 30 times with motor running. Then drive car for about 30 min. Most of noise will be gone.

2. Or remove low pressure p s hose and jack up car. Need one more person plus yourself. Connect hose to open container for removal of old fluid. Also, plug us hole in p s reservoir. Keep motor off. When front end of car is in air, turn wheels right to left, etc about 30 times. Make sure fluid in reservoir does not get low enough to create air bubbles in system. (Have second person re-fill reservoir as needed.

Good to go.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. But we are moving back to RI in December and my car is on a carrier next friday. All my tools are packed along with my jack. Im hoping that the dealer can just fix it before the trailer gets here....:crying2:

Twitch
11-23-07, 10:45 PM
Funny, you just reminded me to look for power steering fluid. Mine makes a noise on cold mornings, but goes away after worm up. Haven't checked the fluid level yet, but I'm hoping that's all it it.

Good idea on the baster,,,might do that anyway.

wildwhl
11-24-07, 10:35 AM
When I had my V, this happened a time or two, and was cured by simply topping off the PS fluid.

WW

thebigjimsho
11-24-07, 01:40 PM

Good to go. (Causes of growl are: air in system. That can be corrected by jacking up front end; motor on; turning wheels lock to lock about 20 times.) On the other hand, if someone previously ran the p s pump low on fluid, there might be some metal shavings in there (plus the air). Changing fluid/adding additive will help.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. But we are moving back to RI in December and my car is on a carrier next friday. All my tools are packed along with my jack. Im hoping that the dealer can just fix it before the trailer gets here....:crying2:Hey, don't sweat it. It's easy. My power steering was groaning big time. First, it was only when cold outside and the V was cold. But it progressed. Finally, it was happening in the summer. And it would take awhile to go away. Eventually, it wasn't really going away.

Just do what Z06 said in #1. I got some Valvoline Synthetic PS fluid. You just use a fluid extractor and pull out the fluid in the reservoir. Then add the new fluid. Turn the wheel back and forth a few times. Then extract the fluid mixture from the reservoir. Turn the wheel back and forth a few more times. Doing this 3-4 times will get most of the new fluid in. I did this last spring and with 4 track days, not a peep...

thebigjimsho
11-24-07, 01:44 PM
Use Red Line PS fluid and it's that much better. This is VERY EASY to do yourself. Very.

theloanman219
11-24-07, 01:45 PM
Thanks Guys! I got into the car around 10am. (not cold at all) it was groaning, then went away. Im just going to let the dealer do it. That is why I have a waranty. Hey Jim when the weather breaks we have to get together. I will be back in RI next month.

theloanman219
11-24-07, 01:47 PM
Use Red Line PS fluid and it's that much better. This is VERY EASY to do yourself. Very.

Im sure it is. But all my stuff is packed.
:rant2:

thebigjimsho
11-24-07, 01:51 PM
Thanks Guys! I got into the car around 10am. (not cold at all) it was groaning, then went away. Im just going to let the dealer do it. That is why I have a waranty. Hey Jim when the weather breaks we have to get together. I will be back in RI next month.Sounds good. I've been thinking of trying to put something together for the New England guys.

Twitch
11-24-07, 07:16 PM
Got in the car this morning. Coldest day so far, and the PS was rwally noisy. Just had to add fluid and its fine.
Im not goint to worry about it, but I will change the fluid when I get the chance.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: