: Weird thing happened when I bought new keys

nerdifiedgeek
11-23-07, 07:05 PM
I bought new transponder keys on ebay, and today I went and got them cut, and I was going to try and program them myself, but for some reason they worked without doing anything to them...I stuck the keys in right afterwards to make sure they were cut right, turn them and they turned the car on...really weird..security issue here?

cateraowner
11-23-07, 07:19 PM
did you have your original keys in the car? if not then that's a little messed up.

nerdifiedgeek
11-23-07, 07:45 PM
the original was sitting in my lap, think that was close enough for it to work? lol

nerdifiedgeek
11-23-07, 08:38 PM
nevermind! i went out and tried it without the other key sitting in my lap and it wouldnt work. So i have to leave the key in the on position for 30 minutes right?

catera00
11-23-07, 10:11 PM
dumb question, when I open my key, there is nothing inside. Just a battery sized circle cut out. Where is the piece that gets programmed?

nerdifiedgeek
11-23-07, 10:21 PM
dumb question, when I open my key, there is nothing inside. Just a battery sized circle cut out. Where is the piece that gets programmed?
there is a small magnet-like thing on one of the sides

catera00
11-23-07, 10:41 PM
Oh that thing? I thought that was a plug filling the hole for an optional light or sensor. Is that and rfid component or something? Not trying to hijack your post here.

nerdifiedgeek
11-23-07, 11:44 PM
the hole for the light is on the other side, it's empty in the middle for a battery if there was a light

cateraowner
11-24-07, 02:05 AM
how did programming the key work out for ya

nerdifiedgeek
11-24-07, 08:28 AM
how did programming the key work out for ya
I haven't done it yet, I think you just have to leave the key in for 30 minutes right?

10KTGOLD
11-24-07, 08:43 AM
I haven't done it yet, I think you just have to leave the key in for 30 minutes right?

i know for sure thats how you do gm ( ie alero ,malibu ,grandam and so on )

txcaddycat
11-25-07, 04:30 PM
Let us know if you ever got the key to work, I bought a key from ebay too and was dreading paying the money to have the dealership program it. Thanks

nerdifiedgeek
11-25-07, 06:31 PM
Let us know if you ever got the key to work, I bought a key from ebay too and was dreading paying the money to have the dealership program it. Thanks
I'm going to give it a shot when I go to work tomorrow, I will say though to try calling a locksmith if I can't get it to work. They said it's only $25 to have it done, I don't know what the dealer charges but im sure it's a lot more than that

10KTGOLD
11-25-07, 06:43 PM
WELL i found this cause its germain............

The only General Motors vehicle sold in the USA that requires a machine to program
keys is the Cadillac Catera 1997-01, which can be serviced by TCL-1. All other
General Motors vehicles sold in the USA use on-board programming methods for
which no machine is required

nerdifiedgeek
11-25-07, 06:44 PM
WELL i found this cause its germain............

The only General Motors vehicle sold in the USA that requires a machine to program
keys is the Cadillac Catera 1997-01, which can be serviced by TCL-1. All other
General Motors vehicles sold in the USA use on-board programming methods for
which no machine is required
hahaha of course

sulli11
11-26-07, 09:07 AM
the little thing on other model gm is actually a resistor. the programming has to do with matching resistive values. discovered this while helping my son with a olds 98.

Dieselknight
12-03-07, 04:52 PM
The last owner of your car may have had a chip installed in the dash so they wouldn't have to worry about it again - I've heard dealerships suggesting that for remote starters and or people that have had trouble with the chip computer in the dash

nerdifiedgeek
12-03-07, 05:28 PM
The last owner of your car may have had a chip installed in the dash so they wouldn't have to worry about it again - I've heard dealerships suggesting that for remote starters and or people that have had trouble with the chip computer in the dash
nahh I found out it was just cause I had the original key sitting in my lap, didn't know it worked that far away haha. I think I'm actually going to sell my catera though so if anyone is interested in these keys I bought let me know. I haven't programmed them yet

jimjimjimjim
12-04-07, 09:08 AM
I got my catera from a chevy dealership. They only had one key and ordered a second set for me. They got the remote working just fine, but when I started it with the new key, it would start for a second and die. The mechanic said the key needed to be programed, and to do this, you must first start the car with the original key, turn it off, then put start it with the new key. He did this and I left the dealership using the new key. After going into a store for a few minutes, I started the car with the new key, and guess what, it died right away.

yellowxhoodie
12-04-07, 11:23 AM
yea, i was going to say that it should start with a diff key as long as the original key is in the car or somewhere near-by because the car is still able to communicate with the chip, it doesnt know what key is in the ignition, it just know that the chip is there.

cateraowner
12-04-07, 12:18 PM
nahh I found out it was just cause I had the original key sitting in my lap, didn't know it worked that far away haha. I think I'm actually going to sell my catera though so if anyone is interested in these keys I bought let me know. I haven't programmed them yet

how much did you buy your keys for?

I'm looking for one but the only ones on ebay that ships to canada is pretty expensive.

nerdifiedgeek
12-04-07, 03:24 PM
how much did you buy your keys for?

I'm looking for one but the only ones on ebay that ships to canada is pretty expensive.
with shipping it was about $40 for the two keys