: Bad Fuel Pressure regulator ?

Wicho
05-04-04, 12:11 AM
I just recently bought my 97 Deville and I have been reading the boards and belive that I may have a bad "FPR". In the morning it takes about 5-7 seconds to start, and the worst part is that Im getting about 11.x mpg in city. I can't really keep up with a gas hogger like this, I knew a caddy will eat gas but this is rediculous. Either Tuesday or wendsday I am taking it back to the dealer to have it examined. Can someone give me any other helpful hints to diagnos my engine ?

In need of help !!!! Thanks

Koz
05-04-04, 02:13 AM
take this car back imediatly to the dealer. you must notify asap. keep all records

demand it be fixed because of breach of warranty of merchantibility. dont delay and fix it your self. then you will improperly reject the car and can be stuck with the beast.
how many miles are on it?:madtalkin

Randy_W
05-04-04, 09:04 AM
You should get 18-20 in town and 23-28mpg on the open road! I got 29.9 on a trip to the Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago.;)

Lawrence
05-04-04, 03:03 PM
You should get 18-20 in town and 23-28mpg on the open road! I got 29.9 on a trip to the Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago.;)
Great mileage! Best I've seen is 23.8 on flat ground. Must have been a downhill route?

Wicho
05-04-04, 05:01 PM
Just hit 89900 miles. Am I right about the bad FPR. Should I tell the dealer what I think it is ? Can it be something else ? I am so glad to be a part of this forum, great enviroment and very knowledgable guys. Thanks to all who have helped.

rbjb99
05-05-04, 11:31 PM
Is it harder to start when hot or just the same all the time?
My Aurora is having a similar problem but harder to start when hot.

FlashRed
05-06-04, 01:22 PM
I just changed my FPR about 2weeks ago and now it starts right up. I had that sam problem.

BeelzeBob
05-06-04, 01:32 PM
The FPR is a likely candidate. It is very easy to check and only takes about 5 minutes to check yourself.

Take the silver top cover off the engine to access the fuel rail. Find the small canister shaped device on the fuel rail that has the vacuum line routed to it. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR while the engine is idling. Watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for any signs of fuel leaking/seeping from it. There should be none.

You didn't mention what type of driving you do. That mileage could be normal in stop and go city driving. "Cadillacs" are very good for fuel economy....for a large luxury car. The mass of the vehicle and the options like AC and such make much more difference in fuel economy. Especially in the city when you are accelerating and decelerating a heavy car.

The thing to get a handle on is the correlation between the actual fuel economy (miles driven vs. what is pumped into the vehicle at the gas pump) compared to the electronic MPG readout on the DIC. Next time you fill up, top off in a manner that you can repeat, reset the trip odo and reset the "FUEL USED" and "AVERAGE MPG" on the DIC. Drive. Keep track of gallons added at stations until you can fill up again at the same station in the same spot for repeatibility. compute the actual fuel economy over that time period/miles vs. the electronic data for average and fuel used. They should agree closely. If they do, then you probably don't have a problem....that is just the fuel economy you are going to get on your driving schedule. If they do NOT agree then it is a sure sign of a problem....such as unmetered fuel entering the engine thru a leaking FPR or a dripping/leaking fuel injector.

Armed with this info it should be relatively easy to determine if there is a problem and what the issue is.

BeelzeBob
05-06-04, 01:34 PM
take this car back imediatly to the dealer. you must notify asap. keep all records

demand it be fixed because of breach of warranty of merchantibility. dont delay and fix it your self. then you will improperly reject the car and can be stuck with the beast.
how many miles are on it?:madtalkin

Koz, you're getting pretty upset over a fuel economy concern on an 8 year old car......LOL. "breach of merchantibility"........LOL LOL

Wicho
05-06-04, 06:41 PM
Yesterday I went back to the dealership and he sent to to a shop he knows. The shop checked the injectors and a few other things. They also changed the oil ?? don't know what that has to do with anything. The thing that made a difference was that they change the fuel filter. I noticed a slight increas in mpg and the car has started better. I am still getting around 11.8, 12 mpg in city. Does this sound alright or should give it a tune up ? I also belive the car is running a little rich, is this possile since everything is computer operated ? Thanks to all those reply and sorry for all the questions

BeelzeBob
05-07-04, 02:36 PM
Yesterday I went back to the dealership and he sent to to a shop he knows. The shop checked the injectors and a few other things. They also changed the oil ?? don't know what that has to do with anything. The thing that made a difference was that they change the fuel filter. I noticed a slight increas in mpg and the car has started better. I am still getting around 11.8, 12 mpg in city. Does this sound alright or should give it a tune up ? I also belive the car is running a little rich, is this possile since everything is computer operated ? Thanks to all those reply and sorry for all the questionss

Did you read the post above about comparing the actual MPG to the electronic MPG on the DIC....????? THAT will tell you if there is a real problem or not. If your driving schedule is causing you to get 12 MPG then the electronic MPG will confirm that and should agree closely with the actual MPG from the gas pump data. Do the testing and comparison. No one can accurately answer your question at this point over the intenet.....