: Navigator Lacking

sknovr
11-22-07, 07:51 PM
After using a Garmin Street Pilot GPS for a couple of years I decided to order the navigation feature on my new 2007 STS. Is it just me or did G.M. fall down on this one? My first disappointment was when I began to read the manual. Only a bunch of engineers could make something as simple as global positioning this complicated.

Whatís this about a DVD? The Garmin comes pre-loaded and you just plug it into your computer for any updates using the Internet. The Garmin will also take you to your destination regardless how remote it might be. It has even directed me down an alley on occasion when was the most sensible route. My fancy Navigator just gets me in the neighborhood and then tells me that I am on my own. I would think there would be more than a little concern on Cadillacís part about the safety of leaving a driver to spread his attention between using the on dash map to find the destination and actually driving the car. Today I nearly rear-ended another car while I was looking for my next turn on the screen.

This is our third STS and I really love the car. I am just writing to say I donít feel the Navigator option is worth the money when you compare it to even a $200 GPS.

Thanks, I feel better......

Robert

Boombottz
11-22-07, 08:20 PM
I've always wondered about that. I am on my second STS sans factory nav. unit. What I really like about my Garmin is that I can preprogram my next day's appointments in the house and whenever I want, and then just snap it in place and go. I have heard good and bad about the factory units, I just like the portability factor, the only draw back is the windshield mount.

bigdog9586
11-22-07, 09:38 PM
It isn't just the STS. As far as I know all built in nav units are about the same.

Heavy_Metal
11-22-07, 10:20 PM
I've been using the STS nav system for almost 3 years and I like it a lot. I just don't like the control lock out while driving. Having the street names and turn information projected on the windshield is hard to beat. I also like the way it looks built into the dash with the black interior I have.

MARKVIII
11-23-07, 10:18 AM
i was on vacation in new mexico and rented a lexus rx350. the vehicle itself was shit but the nav unit was soooooo easy compared to the sts. easy 'english' menus and very intuitive design and execution. i have had my sts now for 6 months and still cannot figure out 75% of this shit nav unit. the little stupid icons instead of plain english. the manual is as thick as war and peace. just to punch in a destination takes forever. much more complicated then it has to be in my opinion. i love my sts but GM really dropped the ball in designing this car. they left out a lot of 'luxery' content that other cars half the price of this one has.

sknovr
11-23-07, 02:22 PM
I agree, Boombottz. The other good thing about the Garmin is that it doesn't lock out part of it's functionality when you take the car out of park.

I solved the windshield mounting issue by buying one of the beanbag mounts. The sticky circles on the windshield are a red flag to the smash and grab thieves that there may be something of value in the car.

Robert

Lifer
11-23-07, 05:21 PM
It isn't just the STS. As far as I know all built in nav units are about the same.

I do not agree. I have used the THX system in the Lincoln LS for three years - it is more intuitive and easier to use than the STS unit. The Infinity M35-M45 is much easier to use. The Denso unit in the STS is very cumbersome and complex to use. However, I do use it and each time it gets a little better. However, GM needs to rethink the items they foist upon the public - they gave us crap years ago and they are paying dearly for it now. If they want to be the Standard of the World again, they need to set a better standard. Nav systems are getting very popular and people are willing to pay for the, factory or electronic stores. By the way, they decided not to include a nav system in the new Malibu - OnStar TurnByTurn is good enough (you need a yearly subscription for that).