: Jealous Stares!!!

03EscaladeAWD
05-17-03, 03:04 PM
Just wanted to start a thread about people that just cant stop staring at your car or if they say to you, "WOW! I wish I could get one of those!" So heres mine:
All in one day: On the highway, and some old green van passes buy with 2 or 3 ten-year-olds in the back seat. One of them points and soon the whole family was looking at the shiny beast! When we get to blockbuster, an old man walks buy, lookin at the front grill and the dinner plate-sized Cadillac Emblem. He saw me sittin inside, so he didnt look inside the leather behemoth.
And the last time was parked in front of Eckerd, stepping out when someone comes buy and asks, "Nice Escalade. I'm thinking about getting one someday" LOL Yeah I know its not like its a kill storie, but the Escalade is for killer looks, not for killing ricers, am I right? (Although I could easily beat a near stock Civic)
Oh yeah, I forgot one I wanted to say. The best one of all! Some 20's guy pulled up beside us and kept looking inside. When he was done, he had to pull away quickly so we could here his V8 Rumble. HA! Jealous stares from mustangs! Escalades are so popular with kids.

BeelzeBob
05-17-03, 03:29 PM
The Escalade is definitely the coolest looking SUV out there. My favorite is in White Diamond. There's one right down the block from me. :D

Katshot
05-17-03, 05:37 PM
Escalades ARE popular with the MTV crowd and the rap/hip-hop crowd in general thanks to the numerous videos and lyrics that mention/depict them. Enjoy it while you can 'cause this crowd can be fickle.
My favorite is the white too, but it has to have aftermarket wheels/tires to REALLY look good. The OEM stuff is lame.

My car gets a TON of stares from middle-aged guys when they see it but young guys don't always notice it unless they hear it or get more than a passing glance at it. My whole idea behind the car is to do a "stock-looking" car. In other words, have it modified externally to a point that it still looks like it might have been done by the OEM. That's why I used so many factory parts in the project. The down-side is that it's a subtle look that doesn't always get noticed right away.

kcnewell
05-17-03, 05:43 PM
Maybe their staring at it because they can't believe some guy paid that much for a re-badged Tahoe! I had some guy catch me looking at his Escalame the other day and he got this sorta smug look on his face like he thought I was jealous or something....If he'd have known what I was thinking, He'd have been embarrassed! Kids are Impressed with them...But kids are Impressed with ANYTHING that they see on MTV!

Katshot
05-17-03, 05:52 PM
I gotta admit, I am no fan of the Escalade myself. I like my Denali better. I like the looks better and when it came out I was able to get a MUCH better deal on it than the Escalade. Cadillac was being real hard-line on the price and GMC wasn't.
Doesn't matter anyway, we paid off the Denali early and now I'm ready to lower it and change the wheels/tires. Almost ashame since the OEM wheels look so good (especially compared to the Escalade wheels) but they're only 17's and those wheel wells SCREAM for bigger ;)

bs4sho
05-17-03, 09:36 PM
My favorite cadillac is the new ext i saw a black one that drove up to my work the other night on 23's and i had to ask him about it.....the escalade isnt that good lookin thoe....but i would still take one.....

elwesso
05-17-03, 10:08 PM
IMO, escalades are nice looking, but i could spend my money much better elsewhere.

03EscaladeAWD
05-18-03, 06:38 PM
Yes its a rebadged Tahoe, but who said the Tahoe was bad? Stick GM's most powerful engine in it, make it standard leather, slap on some wood, and Cadillac symbols to make it eve better. And change the borring Chevy styled front into Cadillac. Sound like a bargain for $10,000. Everyone likes the Denali better, but with all that extra weight (in the case of the extended denali) and 25 less horses, it doesn't have my favorite part of the Escalade. Its the fastest SUV out there! And if it came down to actually going to the dealer and buying one, like we did, you would look at the Denali then look at the Escalade, like we did. The Escalade screams, "Take me! Look how shiney I am! And I look so EDGY!" That styling will eat you alive. Then we look at the Denali and the back looks like every other truck on the road. The only good part of the styling is front billet grill. Inside, its not as luxirous. More plastics and instead of shale colored, most Denali's have grey interiors. Remember to "Never judge a book by its cover" cause outside might look tough and inside looks cheap. So Escalades better than that. And I wouldnt spend $50,000+ for a truck with a cheap interior when theres one with a Cadillac Interior for almost the same price. Only thing left is performance. The Denali can tow the bigger boat (I think) but if you dont have one, the Escalade will be better because of the louder V8 rumble and better performance to match it. And come on. This is a Cadillac forum, your supposed to support all Cadillacs. Well at least all V8 Cadillacs. Some loyalists! Geez, when I goto Ford and BMW forums, or even other Cadillac forums, they're all loyal to their number one company.

kcnewell
05-18-03, 11:44 PM
You might as well get used to it! We've got a lot of closet ricers and Cadillac haters here who can't wait to talk shit about the cars they claim to love! And then try to justify it by babbling about making the brand better by telling everyone who'll listen that they're junk!

Sad but true!

HotRodSaint
05-19-03, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
We've got a lot of closet ricers and Cadillac haters here who can't wait to talk shit about the cars they claim to love!

It seems some of us didn't read the fine print in the 'Cadillac owners agreement' that said we had to love every Cadillac model ever produced, hate all Ford products and hate every car not made in America.

With ownership rules like that, no wonder Cadillac resale values are so low. :halo:

03EscaladeAWD
05-19-03, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by HotRodSaint
It seems some of us didn't read the fine print in the 'Cadillac owners agreement' that said we had to love every Cadillac model ever produced, hate all Ford products and hate every car not made in America. Fine with me, as thats what I have been doing and have gotten kicked out of a forum from saying calling Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagon Nazi cars and we should all buy Buicks and Cadillacs for rich people. They should also say "Hate at your own Risk" lol

elwesso
05-19-03, 04:39 PM
Just to let you all know, Im still in for cadillac.....

Yesterday, on the way home from church, i saw a 95 ETC for sale. I went and looked at it, and it had beige interior, and didnt look like more than about 80k. They want 7000 for it. im hoping i can fix up the Q and get that much out of it, because it is soo sweet!

SmoothSeville
05-20-03, 10:37 AM
Hey, I love the Escalade. I actually like the older models than the 2003s but the 2003's are still sick. Katshot was right when he said they look lame without nice aftermarket rims. If you have an Escalade you have to have a set of flashy rims. What do you think of the Escalade trucks? I like them.

kcnewell
05-20-03, 12:15 PM
UGLY! The EXT is the WORST of all! That thing is so stupid looking.. The Escalade is bad enough, But the EXT is atrocious! Then you add those retarded looking 23" wheels to it and it just gets worse....We've got some of them around here sittin' on those ugly wheels. It's difficult to sit next to them in traffic and not bust out laughing at how totally ridiculous they look!

They look every bit as dumb as a riced out Civic with a triple decker wing!:vomit:

Katshot
05-20-03, 12:34 PM
I hate to say it but, I like the EXT, but only in white (the only color I like the Escalade in too). And it has to have aftermarket wheels/tires.
The EXT is what the Avalanch SHOULD have been.
BTW, have you noticed that the Chevy is now available WITHOUT the gross cladding?

03EscaladeAWD
05-20-03, 03:02 PM
Well, we just couldnt get the older model. It may have looked better, but the Hummer H2 was faster than it, and we'll take the bigger engine any day. Also, a key reason why we but this SUV was to seat 7 people. (Ordered second row bucket seats) So buying the EXT is out. Might as well have gotten a car. And I hate the new ESV. Escalade is fine the way it is, now they stretch it to make it the Suburban. It tows less and is slower. I have the stock rims, they are 17" but they are a nice shiney chrome. After buying a $66,000 vehicle, (including tax and finance stuff) we dont really want to buy some $3000 rims right now. It attracts enough attention. Imagine if we got the H2 instead, which we almost did.

HotRodSaint
05-20-03, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by kcnewell
UGLY! The EXT is the WORST of all! That thing is so stupid looking.. The Escalade is bad enough, But the EXT is atrocious!

Are you criticizing the marque you claim to love? :banana:

elwesso
05-20-03, 08:13 PM
He doesnt consider the escalade to be a cadillac, just a rebadged avalanche/tahoe/suburban

03EscaladeAWD
05-20-03, 09:13 PM
Was the first Eldorado not a gussied up Corvette? Yeah, thats why I think the XLR should be named the Eldorado, cause its based on the vette.

elwesso
05-20-03, 10:24 PM
They wouldnt do that, they just discontinued the eldorado line 3 years ago.

kcnewell
05-20-03, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
They wouldnt do that, they just discontinued the eldorado line 3 years ago.

Three years ago?......The B.F. count just went up!:banghead:

Ralph
05-21-03, 01:19 AM
I guess at least the Escalade is still a Cadillac, I've warmed up to it a little! I cannot believe I was going to get a new Civic. I figured that I would sell the Fleetwood NOW because the mileage was low, and get the MAX for it. I am glad I decided to keep it. (I wonder if that makes me a closet ricer KC??) I realized that rice cars are old after a few years, but there are classic Cadillacs out there that still fetch a premium and can be good investments. (except the first few years of steep depreciation.) I get a lot of people of all ages looking at my car, especially when we are buying groceries parked in the underground parkade. I think it is because of the nice color (Light Antelope) and the fact it does not have a single chip or door ding. The color is a cross between pink and beige- very nice and I've only seen 1 other like it. I don't think too many darker cars get noticed because they tend to hide the nice details of these cars. I don't pay much attention to darker colored cars myself.

Katshot
05-21-03, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Was the first Eldorado not a gussied up Corvette? Yeah, thats why I think the XLR should be named the Eldorado, cause its based on the vette.

Eldorado a "gussied up" Corvette?????

kcnewell
05-21-03, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Katshot
Eldorado a "gussied up" Corvette?????

I was laughin' so hard at that one that I forgot to reply!:rofl:

BeelzeBob
05-21-03, 09:55 AM
Kcnewell. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your frequent disrespectful badmouthing (see below in italics) of me. What exactly are you going for here? Do you have some sort of goal or mission? Please tell us what it is. You seem to be the only one who doesn't understand what I'm trying to accomplish here... Or at least you're the only one who needs to keep bringing it up.

Thanks for speaking your mind, HotRodSaint...

You might as well get used to it! We've got a lot of closet ricers and Cadillac haters here who can't wait to talk shit about the cars they claim to love! And then try to justify it by babbling about making the brand better by telling everyone who'll listen that they're junk!

Sad but true!

kcnewell
05-21-03, 10:11 AM
I don't have the slightest idea why you think that is pointed at you!.....I say what I think, I usually tone it down but in that particular post I just got tired of constantly reading about how wonderful the imports are supposed to be on a Cadillac site! This is a discussion forum.....Yes? We discuss things! Sometimes we agree with each other and sometimes not.....

HotRodSaint
05-21-03, 10:43 AM
So is anyone going to tell him when the first Eldorado appeared? :rolleyes:

BeelzeBob
05-21-03, 10:57 AM
I do believe I'm the only one here who speaks of improving on the brand by bringing the lesser qualities out in the open. When I build a web site, I don't want people to tell me what they like about it. I want to know what people don't like about it - so that I can improve it...

And then try to justify it by babbling about making the brand better by telling everyone who'll listen that they're junk!

To each his/her own.

Control your emotions - or they will control you.. :D

Peace... (I've never used that expression so I thought now would be a good time for a first time...)

Katshot
05-21-03, 01:21 PM
So is anyone going to tell him when the first Eldorado appeared? :rolleyes:

1953 was the first. This article should enlighten anyone who is interested: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/70530/article.html

ljklaiber
05-21-03, 09:06 PM
I know this ain't worth a lot, but I am with KC on the fact that 'ricemouths' spout off a lot here. There must be a rice site where they can form a cluster.

I've had a lot of sales people tell me I don't need a V8. Even Caddy pushes the POS CTS V6.

I still rockin and a rollin in the old sls. (after a hundred miles of interstate at 90 mph, all the pretenders just seem to fall away, and me and ol Blue jus seem to carry on.)

HotRodSaint
05-21-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Katshot
1953 was the first.

Thanks Kat. :cool:

HotRodSaint
05-21-03, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ljklaiber
I know this ain't worth a lot, but I am with KC on the fact that 'ricemouths' spout off a lot here. There must be a rice site where they can form a cluster.

Cadillac is attracting (and actively seeking) a more affluent customer. These people once would have only considered owning a foreign make.

So like it or not, Cadillac is no longer just for the rednecks who want a cheap luxury 'Merican car.

BeelzeBob
05-22-03, 07:31 AM
True.. We'll have to help these people with the transition as much as we can. And now, since Cadillac is building better products these days - I think it'll be an easy job. But, let's not scare them away. I'd rather have them interested in a Cadillac than have them offended because they don't have one yet...

Ralph
05-23-03, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by ljklaiber

I've had a lot of sales people tell me I don't need a V8. Even Caddy pushes the POS CTS V6.

I still rockin and a rollin in the old sls. (after a hundred miles of interstate at 90 mph, all the pretenders just seem to fall away, and me and ol Blue jus seem to carry on.)

Also, I wonder how hard a 4 banger has to work to maintain that kind of speed. Lots of RPM to get anywhere near the power of an 8. Personally, I don't think a 4 could last as long as an 8 if it has to work or rev that hard to maintain 90 mph. The 8's don't seem to run out of breath at high speed. (lower RPM):D

HotRodSaint
05-23-03, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Also, I wonder how hard a 4 banger has to work to maintain that kind of speed. Lots of RPM to get anywhere near the power of an 8. Personally, I don't think a 4 could last as long as an 8 if it has to work or rev that hard to maintain 90 mph. The 8's don't seem to run out of breath at high speed. (lower RPM):D

One word...Autobahn!

Not everyone, everywhere, has a V8 (or V6).

In at least one place in the world, 90mph is for the slow lane. ;)

Although the Italians drive like they have an Autobahn too. It must be their passion for car's.

A four banger BMW rental car will do around 130mph. So will a four banger Lancia and an Alfa Romeo. Try it someday, you'll like it!:cool:

Ralph
05-24-03, 01:56 AM
I'm sure they are fun cars to drive. When I was a kid I got a ride in an MG Midget and I wanted one until I found out about crash testing!

HotRodSaint
05-24-03, 07:46 AM
A four banger BMW rental car will do around 130mph.

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing.

At 130mph you still need to watch your rear view mirror. For big Mercedes and Porsche's, 130mph is for the slow lane! :D

HotRodSaint
05-24-03, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
I'm sure they are fun cars to drive. When I was a kid I got a ride in an MG Midget and I wanted one until I found out about crash testing!

When I was a kid, my moms girlfriend owned a Midget. We would drive around with us 3 kids (2,3 and 6 years old) sitting behind the rear seats and two adults in the front! Not only would you not want to do that now, you would get a ticket. In California you'd probably get thrown in jail for child endangerment!

Oh, the good old days when car's were car's and people were responsible for their own actions.

But I'm with you. There are a lot of car's now that I would never consider owning now, that I once coveted when I was a youngster.

03EscaladeAWD
05-24-03, 11:44 PM
Am I wrong about the the first Eldorado being based on the first Corvette? I just assumed that since they said the Corvette was a top of the line convertible and came out the same year as the Eldorado that they were the same platform. Now I read its based on the 62 special. Can someone clear this up!? I still think the XLR should be the Eldorado. Call me crazy

Katshot
05-25-03, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Am I wrong about the the first Eldorado being based on the first Corvette? I just assumed that since they said the Corvette was a top of the line convertible and came out the same year as the Eldorado that they were the same platform. Now I read its based on the 62 special. Can someone clear this up!? I still think the XLR should be the Eldorado. Call me crazy

What's to "clear up"? You "assumed" one thing but the truth is something different. You know what they say about what happens when you assume ;)

03EscaladeAWD
05-25-03, 06:10 PM
you make a @$$ out of you and me!

Devil_concours
05-27-03, 09:48 PM
I think escalade is the best looking suv out of all big suvs.
Cadillac offered 345hp vortec engine(sorry but this isn't gm's best truck engine) and good awd system. Good combination and worth the extra few bucks to own a good truck with cadillac emblem.

Ralph
05-28-03, 12:29 AM
If the Escalade had the Navigator's satin silver dash it would be my dream SUV. Other than the leather and wood trim, isn't the dash on the Escalade the same as the Chevy trucks?

Badass94Cad
05-28-03, 09:49 AM
...Plus the Eldorado was FWD for 99% of its lifespan.

I don't know...I've never been a big fan of the Escalade, but I am warming up to the whole thing. What did it was actually the EXT (which is weird since I hate the Chevy version)! There is this bling-bling type Caddy dealer near my new place in NJ that has all these Escalades and Devilles on big-ass shiny rims looking all MTV. There's this one EXT in this beautiful shade of blue with like 17" or 18" rims on it. It looks real sharp sitting there, and I can't say that I wouldn't like it in my driveway!

But KC is right too...you do often get that smug look from Escalade owners. I'll be sitting next to one at a stoplight, checking it out, and the yuppie bastard will give me some look like I'm not even cool enough to be that close to him. So I just leave the line sideways without hesitation and dust him out!:banana: Who's the toughguy now?! I could buy 6 Fleetwoods AND put rims on half of 'em for the price of that 1 Escalade!!!;) :cool:

elwesso
05-28-03, 02:50 PM
And the fleetwoods arent as common as the escalades...

Ralph
05-29-03, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
And the fleetwoods arent as common as the escalades...

I know the Fleetwoods are certainly not as comon as the 12 Devilles that I see for every 2 or 3 Fleets!:D

HotRodSaint
05-31-03, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Badass94Cad
...Plus the Eldorado was FWD for 99% of its lifespan.

I don't have a Cadillac reference book here, but it didn't become FWD until about '68.

One of my favorite Eldo's (after the '60), was built on the Malibu/Cutluss/Grand Prix Chassis of the late '70's.

So it might be 60% of it's life. It certainly was one of the first FWD 'Merican car's.

badcady4x4
09-12-03, 11:14 AM
Why buy a denali when you could buy an Escalade for the same price with a few miles on it.

badcady4x4
09-12-03, 11:15 AM
I don't have a Cadillac reference book here, but it didn't become FWD until about '68.

One of my favorite Eldo's (after the '60), was built on the Malibu/Cutluss/Grand Prix Chassis of the late '70's.

So it might be 60% of it's life. It certainly was one of the first FWD 'Merican car's.

hot rod saint!!!! i love the torq thrusts that looks bad ass!!!! your the first i have seen to do that. Good JOB!!!