: Undercarriage Surface Rust Inhibiter Ques

rand49er
11-22-07, 11:05 AM
My car has some annoying surface rust on various undercarriage steel components from the few times it's seen snow and rain. Fortunately, that's very rare now.

Yeah, I know this may be a bit anal (:yup:), but it's snowing here right now, my wife has to work today, and I don't have to cook dinner for a few more hours. :D

So, does anybody know of a rust inhibiter product in the form of a spray or wipe-on something that's not gonna drip all over the place or be impossible to get off your hands if you touch it? I wouldn't even mind if I had to reapply it periodically. Maybe some kind of petroleum product ... ?

Thanks!

AAIIIC
11-22-07, 12:21 PM
Are you looking for something to stop/cover the rust that's already there, or are you looking to prevent rust from forming elsewhere? Or both?

rand49er
11-22-07, 12:41 PM
Aw, heck, I don't know ... something that diminishes the rust that's there and inhibits further oxidation, I'm thinking.

I could probably just smear a little grease on all the edges and surfaces, but it sure would be easier to just spray something that had inhibitors (inhibiters?) as part of its chemical makeup. Seems like there ought to be something out there.

lunarx
11-22-07, 01:59 PM
There might be better stuff, but these are not bad, as long as you are not talking about a high temp area.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProductFinder.asp?pfm=RST&bsq=2&bid=6

AAIIIC
11-22-07, 11:36 PM
There are a number of products out there designed to be put on over rust, so you don't have to worry about sanding/grinding the surface rust away before painting. If you search online for "rust converter" or "rust inhibitor" you should find what you need. POR-15 is probably the stuff I've read about people using the most. I know in the Navy we use stuff called Vactan (or at least that's what we were using on my last boat a couple years ago). You brush it on right over the rust, and then you can paint over it - no additional prep needed. You can also just leave it unpainted (as we had to do at sea, since paint is an atmosphere contaminant and we can't use it on the sub when we're underway).

schmiot
11-23-07, 01:40 PM
There are also Electronic Rust protection systems though I've never used one and don't know if they actually work. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672466&bmUID=1195839386940&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443292139&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Features

Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out
Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)
Prevents the onset of rust and inhibits the spread on vehicles that already have rust
Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle)
One-time installation includes annual checkups
Protects the entire automobile, not just the areas affected by undercoatingYMMV,
Robin.

rand49er
11-23-07, 06:31 PM
... If you search online for "rust converter" or "rust inhibitor" you should find what you need. ...I did a little searching and found some Rust Bullet stuff. Sounds interesting, but don't think I can get it at my local retail outlet.

There are also Electronic Rust protection systems though I've never used one and don't know if they actually work. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672466&bmUID=1195839386940&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443292139&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Features

Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out
Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)
Prevents the onset of rust and inhibits the spread on vehicles that already have rust
Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle)
One-time installation includes annual checkups
Protects the entire automobile, not just the areas affected by undercoatingYMMV,
Robin.Darn link doesn't like the fact that I'm only one quarter Canadian (three quarters Yank) and live south of the border.

schmiot
11-28-07, 01:39 AM
Darn link doesn't like the fact that I'm only one quarter Canadian (three quarters Yank) and live south of the border.

Try this: http://www.counteractrust.com/

1FASTSS
11-28-07, 11:49 AM
I've always had good luck with POR-15. Very easy to brush on and go. I like the look of the gloss black and it looks like it powercoated.

rand49er
11-28-07, 12:16 PM
... "rust converter" ... POR-15 ...

... POR-15 ...Well, I didn't put a lot of effort into it yet, but the other day I did invest six bucks in some stuff called Rust Converter by Klean-Strip at AutoZone.

As soon as it warms back up around here (though I'm not optimistic the way it's looking), I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll try the POR-15.

Thanks guys.

1QUICKV
11-28-07, 09:40 PM
This is what i did and i dont even drive in the winter/much rain. The only place i have lite rust is on the inside of the front hubs, and on the training arms, but other then that it's clean. My shop under coats for about $250.00. I want to know how much others are charging..... i udercoated it. i could'it resize the pic's so i can't post them.