: trans/motor mounts

martyb
05-03-04, 08:06 PM
I have noticed a slight clunk in the last week when putting my 2001 STS in gear. It also has a slight thump when the car is idling in gear. The idle is smooth, which leads me to believe it may be a loose mount, or a bad mount. Is there an easy way to get to them to check them??

BTW, I have had my car for about 2 months and I love it.

Thanks

Marty

Lawrence
05-04-04, 03:15 AM
I have noticed a slight clunk in the last week when putting my 2001 STS in gear. It also has a slight thump when the car is idling in gear. The idle is smooth, which leads me to believe it may be a loose mount, or a bad mount. Is there an easy way to get to them to check them??

BTW, I have had my car for about 2 months and I love it.

Thanks

Marty
Might first check the two top "dogbone" strut mounts. The ones that are on either side of the radiator and go from the engine head to the core support. They are usually the first to go. Just unbolt them and inspect the rubber inserts carefully.

Now, I think the 01' still used these.

martyb
05-04-04, 12:30 PM
Either I am blind, or they are not there! I took off the shroud over the radiator to get a better view, but I certainly did not see them. Is the 2001 different from the earlier cars??

dloch
05-04-04, 12:38 PM
Either I am blind, or they are not there! I took off the shroud over the radiator to get a better view, but I certainly did not see them. Is the 2001 different from the earlier cars??
If they are there you would see them, they connect from the motor to the core support and they look like a dog bone. I don't know what 01 looks like...

martyb
05-04-04, 03:11 PM
must not be on the 01. any other ideas??? Seems like it is slowly getting worse. If am in driving at 55mph and I take my foot off the gas and then on again, I get the thump.

Logandiagnostic
05-04-04, 03:52 PM
The newer setup does not use dogbones. I had to replace the front lower mount on my 2001 Deville. My lower mount bolt was tearing away...

The mount was $71 at the local caddy dealer.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

martyb
05-04-04, 04:11 PM
is that the donut looking mount under the radiator? How tough of a job??

Logandiagnostic
05-04-04, 05:06 PM
hehhehe.....it looks easy. To do it you have to jack the engine up, and remove the complete 'Y' bracket mounted to the engine. There is a nut for the top of the mount....in about a 1/2 inch gap between they 'Y' bracket and the exhaust manifold. No way your getting a tool in there....the service manual is wrong.

Figure 2 hours. See picture..

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3768672/1080864454961_mount.gif

dloch
05-04-04, 06:12 PM
hehhehe.....it looks easy. To do it you have to jack the engine up, and remove the complete 'Y' bracket mounted to the engine. There is a nut for the top of the mount....in about a 1/2 inch gap between they 'Y' bracket and the exhaust manifold. No way your getting a tool in there....the service manual is wrong.

Figure 2 hours. See picture..

Pictures always make it look easy............ BTW you need that very special tool to get at that nut...

martyb
05-04-04, 09:56 PM
Your right, the picture makes it look like a piece of cake!! May be a job for the local dealer.

Logandiagnostic
05-05-04, 04:17 AM
Is there a gm kent moore tool? That upper nut has to be 125 ft pounds +. No way you are going to get it undone in the space available....theres no room...

Once we figured out that the complete Y bracket must come out.....it wasnt that bad.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

martyb
05-05-04, 11:00 AM
I am going to try it this weekend.

Thanks for all the info.

Marty

Logandiagnostic
05-05-04, 01:08 PM
Its a easy mount to inspect....hard to replace. The picture makes it look easy. What you dont see is the radiator, close out panel, etc.

Inspecting the mount is easy. Remove the lower mount bolt, jack up the engine. Inspect. On mine the lower bolt was tearing away. Impossible to see until the engine was jacked up.

Its not that bad once you figure out that the complete Y bracket must come out. But be careful. The bracket is a almost perfect fit between ground and the alternator + post. There are also some AC sensors you have to wiggle around to get the bracket/mount out.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

martyb
05-05-04, 01:52 PM
thanks again for the tip. I am hoping that is what my issue is.

Marty

Logandiagnostic
05-05-04, 05:17 PM
I should also add....you will also have to drop the front of the engine cradle to get the mount assembly out.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

martyb
05-06-04, 09:38 AM
what's the best way to raise the engine to inspect the mount?? will a floor jack and a piece of 2X4 across the bottom of the engine work???

FlashRed
05-06-04, 12:49 PM
If they are there you would see them, they connect from the motor to the core support and they look like a dog bone. I don't know what 01 looks like...
I have a 97 sts and the rubber on each side of those dog bone pieces your talking about are worn out. What is the name of that and Can I replace it myself?

dloch
05-06-04, 01:14 PM
I have a 97 sts and the rubber on each side of those dog bone pieces your talking about are worn out. What is the name of that and Can I replace it myself?
They are called strut mounts, Left 22173251 $ 38.80 Net, Right 22145960 $ 38.78 Net from P & G. Phone number 888-870-0280 or 724-947-9590 ext 214 ask very helpfull people. BTW the new struts also come with a new bracket that is bolted to the core support.