: Help!! Front uneven (lowered with Eibach's)

Got5onit
11-21-07, 07:18 PM
I've been riding on Eibach's for a couple of months and noticed today, while walking up to the V in a parking lot, the front end did not look even. When I got home I pulled out a tape measure and noticed the driver side was nearly a 1/4" lower than the passenger side!!! I took the front wheels off and found this on the driver side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/AFJsvt/IMG_5641.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/AFJsvt/IMG_5640.jpg

Looks like the mount is damaged. Is this just an unlucky find or the reason why the driver side is lower than the passenger? Any idea on if GM will cover this? Any other ideas on why one side is lower than the other?

:mad:

Thanks to all who reply.

RunningOnEMT
11-21-07, 07:24 PM
whats the diarrhea?

Got5onit
11-21-07, 07:26 PM
whats the diarrhea?

Not sure, thought it was grease from the mount?:ill:

RunningOnEMT
11-21-07, 07:31 PM
well it definitely looks like the insides are now the outsides, but who knows... i don't know why the engine mounts would make your car sit funny

atdeneve
11-22-07, 08:05 AM
You're driver side engine mount spewed itself (dealer'll take care of it), but that should not have any effect on the ride height.

rand49er
11-22-07, 09:46 AM
You're driver side engine mount spewed itself (dealer'll take care of it), but that should not have any effect on the ride height.Sounds right to me.

Ques: Do you have the Eibach collars adjusted to the same position? A 1/4" could be found right there.

Got5onit
11-22-07, 10:09 AM
Sounds right to me.

Ques: Do you have the Eibach collars adjusted to the same position? A 1/4" could be found right there.

Collars? Please elaborate. :)

rand49er
11-22-07, 10:16 AM
Collars? Please elaborate. :)Oops!

Maybe just having Eibachs is not the same as a GC kit.

My bad! :hide:

randycsvt
11-22-07, 10:45 AM
Check the strut and spring assembly of the side that is higher. It could be that your spring is not seated on the strut properly.

Check the lower side to make sure there strut is not blown. A blown strut will bounce a lot when you compress that side of the car. It may also have a thin film of clear looking oil over it or surrounding parts (that stuff in the pictures looks like it came from the mount, not the strut).

Got5onit
11-22-07, 11:05 AM
Check the strut and spring assembly of the side that is higher. It could be that your spring is not seated on the strut properly.

Check the lower side to make sure there strut is not blown. A blown strut will bounce a lot when you compress that side of the car. It may also have a thin film of clear looking oil over it or surrounding parts (that stuff in the pictures looks like it came from the mount, not the strut).

I didn't find any oily residue anywhere on the strut, but I did see where I marked the upper perch to align the upper spring pigtail to. I was about an inch off. I compressed the spring and realigned the tail to the mark. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Got5onit
12-07-07, 10:23 AM
Just an update on this:

I did turn the spring and nothing happened. Driver front side is still ~.25" lower than the passenger front. I wonder if if the front spring is defective? :banghead:

darkman
12-07-07, 10:39 AM
Just an update on this:

I did turn the spring and nothing happened. Driver front side is still ~.25" lower than the passenger front. I wonder if if the front spring is defective? :banghead:

I just checked mine and the driver's side is 3/16ths of an inch higher than the passenger side. My V has a stock suspension except for Hotchkis sway bars and a BMR strut brace. Perhaps 1/4 inch difference is within standard tolerance for a street car.

NormV
12-07-07, 07:55 PM
Just an update on this:

Where are you measuring from? You might want to measure suspension point to ground if you want to be specific.

Swap the springs side to side. You should not have to do an alignment afterwards. Make sure you drive a few miles to let things settle before measuring.

Norm

darkman
12-07-07, 08:14 PM
I measured mine at the front fender, through the center of the wheel to the ground. Obviously, one point has to be the ground and the other must include all sprung weight.

I also found this:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ride2h.htm

urbanski
12-08-07, 06:58 AM
oops V puke :ack:

Got5onit
12-08-07, 08:14 AM
oops V puke :ack:

LOL!!!!!!

I'm measuring from the highest point of the fenderwell down to ground. It's actually slighly greater than .25" lower on one side. What's funny is that I wouldn't even have noticed it if I never would've turn the foglights on. I noticed the driver side "beam" was not hitting at the same point as the passenger side. I leveled the fog light beam several months ago after the clear lens mod, which was before the spring change. Seeing it look uneven after walking up in front of it in a parking lot was the last straw. That's when I decided to measure and found the the car sitting slightly lower on one side. It could be me just over exaggerating the "uneveness" since I know it's there.

Now I've got the busted motor mount & I noticed the cover to the diff is covered in fluid. When will cadillac ever get the damn rear right!!!??? :boom:

darkman
12-08-07, 08:54 AM
If you are going to take it to the dealer anyway you might want them to do a Trim Height Inspection which calls for a measurement of the distance between the pivot bolt center line down to the lower corner of the lower ball joint under a specific set of conditons. The conditions are: a full tank of gas, no other cargo, doors closed, trunk closed and on level ground.

ewill3rd
12-08-07, 09:32 AM
Sit in the car and then measure it.
1/4 inch from side to side is no big deal.
Ever look at a Silverado pickup?

Got5onit
12-08-07, 01:54 PM
Sit in the car and then measure it.
1/4 inch from side to side is no big deal.
Ever look at a Silverado pickup?

I'll try to find level ground and then remeasure it with someone in the car.
Are Silverado's off?

darkman
12-08-07, 03:18 PM
I'll try to find level ground and then remeasure it with someone in the car.
Are Silverado's off?

The conventional ride height measurement as well as the service manual Trim height measurement should be taken without anyone in the car.

ewill3rd
12-09-07, 08:34 AM
My point was that with a driver in the car it will likely be level.
It isn't worth the pain and agony you'd put yourself through to change the ride height on one side 1/4 inch.
Yes Silverados are notorious for being low on one side. They all are, and by more than a measly 1/4 inch.
The bottom line is it really doesn't matter. Are you going to drive it, or stare at it? ;)

darkman
12-09-07, 09:52 AM
My point was that with a driver in the car it will likely be level.
It isn't worth the pain and agony you'd put yourself through to change the ride height on one side 1/4 inch.
Yes Silverados are notorious for being low on one side. They all are, and by more than a measly 1/4 inch.
The bottom line is it really doesn't matter. Are you going to drive it, or stare at it? ;)

We are in agreement, the tolerance ain't 1/4 inch.

The Trim Height dimension in the service manual, which, as you know, is used to measure suspension component wear, has an tolerance range of 7/10ths inch on each side, which translates into 1.4 inches allowable differential assuming one side is at the high end and the other side is at the low end of the range.

ewill3rd
12-09-07, 10:57 AM
Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention, that brown fluid is hydraulic fluid from the motor mount.
If you can get the dealer to take a good look at it, they'll find it is broken.
If the car is under warranty it should be a covered item.