: Diff leaking, track day Sunday.....ARGGGGH!

V-Love
11-21-07, 05:34 PM
I was just going through the tech procedures and I noticed the diff was all munged up. It appears to be the seal.
It would be irresponsible to go out there and chance messing up someone elses ride or day by blowing my rear all over the place. Are there any quick fix additives to seal her up??? I've tried all the dealerships. It ain't gonna happen before Monday.

The Tony Show
11-21-07, 05:49 PM
It's usually the vent hole on the top, not the seal. Spray it down with some brake clean and drive around tonight to see if it comes back.

heavymetals
11-21-07, 09:44 PM
Was the pinion seal on mine.

They did it while I waited.

1 hour.

rand49er
11-22-07, 05:00 AM
Was the pinion seal on mine.

They did it while I waited.

1 hour.Same here.

Seattle CTS-V
11-22-07, 10:06 AM
Yeah, if you overfill it or run it really hard you'll get a little coming out of the vent hole. Otherwise, probably the seal.

lunarx
11-22-07, 12:27 PM
You can have the dealer do the vent tube bulletin.

However, they use a cheap-ass worm clamp on the hose.

http://www.idealclamps.com/upload/iblock/f7f/f7f9736a047ebb333a3b33ca390710e3.JPG

The hose will fall off if you breath on it.

Ask them to use a fuel injection hose clamp (better radial clamping).

http://cgenterprises.com/fuelfilters/images/FI_516.jpg

I changed mine to the FI clamp, after my hose fell off.
The hose is attached alot tighter now.

V-Love
11-22-07, 11:01 PM
Dealers are open in A.M. I am gonna go beg for some service. Williamson is closest. Wish me luck. No refund on the track day. No substitute drivers. I need another car or I must fix mine. Any maggied V owners wanna help a brother out???:histeric:

lunarx
11-23-07, 12:57 AM
Dealers are open in A.M. I am gonna go beg for some service. Williamson is closest. Wish me luck. No refund on the track day. No substitute drivers. I need another car or I must fix mine. Any maggied V owners wanna help a brother out???:histeric:

If the dealer won't fix your car before Sun leave it with them and get an 08 CTS loaner to take to the track. :rolleyes:

Then again it may not be leaking as much as you think.
You could be looking at a few months of fluid accumulation.
As tony said, if you cleaned it and went for a test drive you could guage how bad it really is.
I'd take a pic to show the dealer 1st though.
Damn dealers migt not want to fix it unless they see it dripping with fluid.

thebigjimsho
11-23-07, 02:54 AM
If the dealer won't fix your car before Sun leave it with them and get an 08 CTS loaner to take to the track. :rolleyes:

Then again it may not be leaking as much as you think.
You could be looking at a few months of fluid accumulation.
As tony said, if you cleaned it and went for a test drive you could guage how bad it really is.
I'd take a pic to show the dealer 1st though.
Damn dealers migt not want to fix it unless they see it dripping with fluid.Yeah, I had what looked like a little bit of fluid on one side of the diff. I changed the fluid, kept the rear in check, and enjoyed 4 track days on the diff.

odla
11-23-07, 06:40 AM
hey v-love talk to skip or mike. there is more than one mike. talk to the one next to skip moosang. tell skip aldo sent you. he might try harder to get you done if you give him some emergency situation story. dont state anything about going to the track.

Twitch
11-23-07, 10:06 AM
So???? What's the update?

V-Love
11-23-07, 01:35 PM
So???? What's the update?

Woke up early today and just drove to a dealership I had never been to. I was armed with pt #'s, an amateur diagnosis on the diff. seal, and prayers.
I said I was driving to Georgia on Sunday(small lie) and begged for a miracle. He put me in front of a bunch of other cars and handled it while I realized it was to early for the strip clubs. I am all fixed up and ready for Sunday.
I wouldn't have made the effort if it wasn't for the good advice of my brothers on this forum. When I heard it could possibly be fixed in an hour, I just went for it.
The forum saved me $300. today. I couldn't get a refund for the track because the date was too close.

Thanks guys. Repsect to all.

lunarx
11-23-07, 02:39 PM
Amazing outcome :thumbsup:
It's nice to hear a happy ending.

Did you get the Vent Tube bulletin performed or just a seal replaced?

Let us know how the repairs hold up at the track.
I do know the diff likes to vent fluid when driven hard (reason for Vent Tube bulletin).

Twitch
11-23-07, 04:32 PM
Glad it worked out. Usually going to the dealer is like going to a dentist. You always expect the worst.

thebigjimsho
11-24-07, 12:55 PM
Has anyone ever had a cavity filled without using novicane? It actually was surprisingly easy.

Wisdom teeth or root canal on the other hand...

Twitch
11-24-07, 07:30 PM
Has anyone ever had a cavity filled without using novicane? It actually was surprisingly easy.

Wisdom teeth or root canal on the other hand...

I'll see about that when I go to the "Dentist" with some mods.