: NuFinish

elwesso
05-03-04, 05:54 PM
I am wondering how you all liked this product...

I hear its the best of the autozone selection... I just want something to last longer than like 3 weeks without spending a lot of money...

So what do you think about it...

Has anyone used that new eagle one stuff???

IYO, what is the best OTC wax you can get right now, in terms of durability..

Next time I plan on clay barring, and then maybe adding a little glaze.....

elwesso
05-03-04, 05:57 PM
I also wanted to add what Ive used before and my review on it....

Turtle wax color cure: I like this as it fills in little scratches, but doesnt last very long.
Eagle one WET- I like this, but it goes on too thick, but does last longer..
Imperial paste wax- This is probbaly the longest lasting stuff I have used, but takes forever to apply.....

exceldetail
05-04-04, 08:29 AM
EL, your obviously looking for something durable and user friendly. Buy youve limited yourself to whats available in your local neighborhood! Id have to say, NuFinish, Meg's #20, or Megs Medallion Paint potectant, even ColorX are probably your best bets...I guess it would depend on your paints exact needs before i prescribed one in particular....NuFinish has cleaning abililty, Megs # 20 light cleaning, Medallion, very, very minimal.....ColorX strong ability....

CADDYBLACK99
05-04-04, 08:54 AM
Hi Wes!
If you talk to anyone who knows me you would find that I have used many over the counter waxes out there. I keep my black beauty clean 95% of the time. Here is my honest opinion: The natural (carnuba's) are soft and do not last that long. It's ok if you wax once a week or every other week. My personal favorites are the Meguiars line, another favorite is Liquid Glass. When layered Liquid Glass lasts about 3 weeks with light water wipedowns in between. I'm starting to ramble now...sorry. I just bought the Zaino package and I like the synthetics for durability. I've used Prolong before and like it that product also. I used NuFinish a long time ago and it did a great job, I can't remember how long it lasted though.
Paul

ThomasO
05-04-04, 09:01 AM
NXT

ETC Guy
05-04-04, 10:06 AM
I've been hesitant about bringing up this subject for fear of getting flamed....

Now my 2 cents worth. Back in the mid '80's I had a bright blue Camaro and the wife had a dark blue Toronado. I used the Meguiars Deep Crystal polish and wax on those and they looked terrific, but it never lasted through the Wisconsin winters. I switched to NuFinish for the Toronado. Two applications in May 1 week apart and a application in early October. To my amazement, the rain water still beaded up in April. The Camaro had no bead whatsoever.

I've used it on my daily drivers since then. That includes the current '92 ETC. It probably doesn't look as rich as if I would have stuck with the Deep Crystal, but I also have more demands on my time than I did 20 years ago. 3 applications a year is fine with me.

A couple of things to be aware of. If your going to use NuFinish, stick with NuFinish. On year the ex was complaining that her Aerostar wasn't getting the same treatment as my Camaro. So I Deep Crystal'ed it. Then in the fall it got NuFinish'ed. Even though the van sat in the garage most of the time, by next May everything was stripped off. The other thing is don't leave it out in the garage to freeze, if your climate allows this. I do believe it changes the makeup of the wax, no amount of shaking will put it back to right, and you end up with lighter and darker shades of color on your paint.

Which brings me to my last ramble here. It's getting close to the time to break out the clay bar and start the recovery from winter grime on my vehicles. Hvclone: does Zaino outlast NuFinish? I'm curious; if it has the durability of Zaino and the color enhancement of Deep Crystal, you might have a new customer and I'll return the fresh bottle of NuFinish I just bought.

hcvone
05-04-04, 10:38 AM
Craig, Zaino won the durability test in 02' when Guru Reports tested the top 46 car wax products, Nu Finish was 17th. www.gurureports.org

ChiMick
05-04-04, 12:53 PM
I've always liked Griot's Garage "Best of Show Wax" but I have not done a scientific study of how long it lasts. I use their polishing products also.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/md/11171_MD.jpg

hcvone
05-04-04, 01:15 PM
I have used many of their products, they finished just in front of Nu Finish (16th)

Elvis
05-04-04, 04:26 PM
NuFinish is a durable protectant, I used it on my silver cars that looked good even when they were dirty.

But if you have a dark colored car and want that high-gloss look, you'll have to go with something else. I'm high on 3m, but I'm also anxious to try Griot's products. I get their catalog at least once a month and I've bought a lot of other stuff from them.

elwesso
05-04-04, 04:53 PM
Well I got my dark crimson..

What would you recommend OTC stuff... I want to get something sorta cheap, as I am going to do 5 star shine this summer (when money is flowing)...

Elvis
05-04-04, 09:58 PM
I've only used Zymol a couple of times, but I like it. They had it at AutoZone.

brougham
05-04-04, 10:48 PM
I think Zymol is the stuff that a friend of mine likes to use. It's turtle wax for me. It does a good job with the shine and lasts a while.

exceldetail
05-05-04, 12:39 AM
Holy Smokes, hasnt anyone ever heard of Klasse, Blackfire, Platinum, Fourstar, Wolfgang, S100, 3M, :shhh: ?????:banghead:

hcvone
05-05-04, 07:24 AM
Holy Smokes, hasnt anyone ever heard of Klasse, Blackfire, Platinum, Fourstar, Wolfgang, S100, 3M, :shhh: ?????:banghead:

Heard of them all, Klasse has good durability, S100 (P21S) is a great carnauba wax, 3M makes great paint cleaners and abrasives, and the other sealants you listed look great when first applied but do not offer any better durability than a good carnauba, and that has to do with blending oils with synthetics, while some like the look of oil, it reduces durability, we found this true at our shops, we had 36 detail location in the 80's and 90's. :)

exceldetail
05-05-04, 11:23 PM
HC, not to argue, but i found your statement irrelevant in the current yr. Todays polymers are miles ahead of the best carnuaba in terms of durability, and par or better regarding clarity, depth, and overall visual stimulation. Those products werent even available until early 2000's.....(Except Klasse 3M) For those of you still using Carnaubas as your sealant of choice, there is a whole other world out their.....:hmm:

hcvone
05-06-04, 07:44 AM
I was talking about "Blackfire, Platinum, Fourstar, Wolfgang" , these products offer poor durability for sealants, they all look good, but last no longer than good carnauba waxes, Zaino and even Klasse offer much better durability because they do not add oils. :) Blackfire, Platinum, Fourstar, Wolfgang were not until several years ago, of course Klasse has been around for many years.

exceldetail
05-07-04, 10:09 AM
HC, if you get more than two weeks of protection with any "carnauba", Id like to know what it is. In my opinion, and those of many, many Autopians, 2 months of protection is very reasonable for Wolfgang, Blackfire, Platinum and Four Star. 14 days opposed to 60 is very considerable in my world.....Ive been using these products for several yrs ('cept Wolfgang which has only been out for several months) and returning clients every 3 months still had previously applied protection if properly mainatined (No harsh car washes). Occasionaly i will use a Carnauba as a topper if there is an issue with oils.......This eleviates any dust problems.....