: Custom intake and nitrous

BlackCaddy87
11-21-07, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys have made a custom intake. I would like to make one that was like mark99sts except without the turbo of course.

My car has the 3.11 gears in it and I wanted to get the 3.71 so she'll have more off the line. Instead of going through all that trouble I could just get a universal nitrous kit and have even more power off the line with my gears than with 3.71. I've found two kits from summit, one is a 35, 50, and 75 wet shot for 709.95. The other kit is 75, 100, and 125 wet shot for 383.39. Is it safe to get the cheaper get and just use the 75 shot or is that still too much nitrous for a northstar. The only time the nitrous will be used is for the track.

Submariner409
11-21-07, 05:00 PM
:alchi:I think the reason that things are so quiet in this thread is, with very few exceptions, there are no NO shooters in here.

What car, what year, what engine. (3:11 looks like some SLS)

Aluminum block and heads with a pre-02 (?) history of weak head gasket clamping.

Tread carefully unless you're ready to do a full Monty rebuild from the oil drain plug up ^.

CadillacSTS42005
11-22-07, 09:26 PM
this guy really needs to learn to use his search button...

Crown Vic Owner
11-24-07, 03:19 AM
I was wondering if any of you guys have made a custom intake. I would like to make one that was like mark99sts except without the turbo of course.

My car has the 3.11 gears in it and I wanted to get the 3.71 so she'll have more off the line. Instead of going through all that trouble I could just get a universal nitrous kit and have even more power off the line with my gears than with 3.71. I've found two kits from summit, one is a 35, 50, and 75 wet shot for 709.95. The other kit is 75, 100, and 125 wet shot for 383.39. Is it safe to get the cheaper get and just use the 75 shot or is that still too much nitrous for a northstar. The only time the nitrous will be used is for the track.
if you want a racecar, sell yours and buy a v

if you want some giddyup, get a exhaust and tune, possibly go to 3.73 (i think thats the STS gears) gears with a LSD,

Giggle juice is a REALLY easy way to kill a engine.

Cadillacboy
11-24-07, 12:53 PM
Be careful with NOS . Your engine might be shot .

Enano
02-02-08, 05:53 PM
Ide love to spray my caddy. why would you say power from juice would be worse then power from a turbo. say you run a wet kit, so you supply the fuel you need, how much tuning is available for the N*, drop a spot in timing? how is the afr, if its rich to begin with ide say its a pretty safe way to go (maybe colder plugs) Ive heard the bottom end is pretty strong on the N*. juice isnt that dangerous its just easy to bump it up for more power and you get careless. what else should be taken into consideration. I was thinking of maybe a zex kit, where the have spray done by rpm automatically. pretty neat kit i have one on my 06 charger.

Submariner409
02-02-08, 06:56 PM
There is no tuning, no timing, no mixture adjustment programming currently commercially available for a street Northstar which would be fitted with aftermarket NO.

What year Northstar are you considering adding nitrous to? Over the years there have been several changes to blocks, heads, liners, head bolts, cams, ignition, plugs, pistons, management systems, emissions, you-name-it.

Your Charger and a Cadillac N* are a long way apart, engine and computer-wise, so don't make any comparisons there.

Based on my past experience as a race car driver and engine builder, I will go on record as not recommending nitrous for a daily driver Northstar without extensive engine overhaul and modification, both mechanically and electronically. You really need to talk to someone with a lot of engine building experience rather than Hot Rod or your local speed parts dealer.

Please post your car, year, and mileage in your profile so we're all on the same page.

Destroyer
02-02-08, 11:04 PM
this guy really needs to learn to use his search button...You sound like a broken record.:nono:

Destroyer
02-02-08, 11:07 PM
There is no tuning, no timing, no mixture adjustment programming currently commercially available for a street Northstar which would be fitted with aftermarket NO.

What year Northstar are you considering adding nitrous to? Over the years there have been several changes to blocks, heads, liners, head bolts, cams, ignition, plugs, pistons, management systems, emissions, you-name-it.

Your Charger and a Cadillac N* are a long way apart, engine and computer-wise, so don't make any comparisons there.

Based on my past experience as a race car driver and engine builder, I will go on record as not recommending nitrous for a daily driver Northstar without extensive engine overhaul and modification, both mechanically and electronically. You really need to talk to someone with a lot of engine building experience rather than Hot Rod or your local speed parts dealer.

Please post your car, year, and mileage in your profile so we're all on the same page.I did see a N* run on nitrous at the local 1/8th mile track. It was an older STS mabe a 93-95 or so. It ran pretty good if I remember right it did high 8's in the 1/8th. Guy was running a 75 shot I think. There are so many here looking to mod their N*'s but cant, this could be a viable option.

dkozloski
02-03-08, 12:03 AM
It ain't going to impress the girls very much when you crater out your motor in front of them in the stoplight grand prix.

Submariner409
02-03-08, 10:13 AM
Destroyer, I'll buy a 25-50 squeeze here and there, but I'll stick to my statement that a N* needs internal and management preparation before you try to blow it up. It's NOT a bolt-on speed fix. Not by a long shot.

dkozloski
02-03-08, 02:31 PM
The PCM programming and engineering margins allow for some operation outside the normal range. Deviate far enough and you'll find yourself depending on margins of safety that don't exist.

Destroyer
02-03-08, 04:43 PM
You guys are probably right. I didn't care much about that car when I saw it but my buddy did. He was a fan of the N* and although he didn't own one he just had to go talk to the owner of that STS. The STS owner was happy with it and the times he was running compared to the way it ran without the nitrous. I cant say how long his car lasted or anything else. I used to frequent the track and thats the ONLY time I saw that car there. Did he blow a H/G on the way back home?. Who knows?.

Enano
02-12-08, 09:14 PM

Please post your car, year, and mileage in your profile so we're all on the same page.

its a 99 deville, i can find the mileage next time im home. i get hyped up on mod fever sometimes. i gotta do more research on the northstars :)

although ide love to drop a hemi in lol

Submariner409
02-13-08, 03:07 PM
A DOHC engine can be considered as a "hemi" or "semi-hemi" because the intake and exhaust valves are located in the penthouse on either side of the piston crown and the spark plug is in the center of the dome. The combustion chamber is somewhat more angular than the original Chrysler 1950's true hemispherical chamber, but those had (have) a very odd pushrod setup with the cam in the block. A modern OHC "Hemi" is a nostalgic play on words and hype.

Enano
02-13-08, 03:32 PM
yes, there can be 2 stroke hemis in leaf blowers too,

and im talking about an old school hemi for the drop.
and if i ever have 50k to blow on the caddy ill give her this (ya right)

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/hemi/5153315.gif
540 ALUMINUM HEMI SUPERCHARGED

NHRATA01
02-13-08, 10:56 PM
Ide love to spray my caddy. why would you say power from juice would be worse then power from a turbo. say you run a wet kit, so you supply the fuel you need, how much tuning is available for the N*, drop a spot in timing? how is the afr, if its rich to begin with ide say its a pretty safe way to go (maybe colder plugs) Ive heard the bottom end is pretty strong on the N*. juice isnt that dangerous its just easy to bump it up for more power and you get careless. what else should be taken into consideration. I was thinking of maybe a zex kit, where the have spray done by rpm automatically. pretty neat kit i have one on my 06 charger.

GM tends to be fairly conservative with the stock timing on its cars. The LSx motors tuned for 91+ generally only get as high as 24 degrees of advance, but can gain some good power going up to 30-32 degrees assuming no knock.

I'd bet the N*'s tuned for 87 are less than that, probably closer to 20-22. That being the case, I don't think timing would be a concern spraying under a 100 shot with premium. I'm spraying a 125 hit wet kit on my T/A, with the WOT timing at 20 degrees.

That said, I don't know that spraying an N* with known head lifting issues is a good idea. Dumping nitrous in at 3000 rpms builds some pretty high cylinder pressures, and IMHO you're inviting a blown HG on these motors. Also I suspect the 4T80 won't hold up well to the large torque spike either after a few runs. You could realistically probably run a 50 shot without much problem, but its such a small amount, it wouldn't be worth it and a Caddy really isn't a drag car. Take $5k and buy yourself a 5.0 or LT1/LS1 pony car and have some fun with it. You can toss a 100 shot on top of any of those 3 motors, and they won't even flinch, provided you know what you're doing.

PS- Don't waste your money on Zex. They have the puniest, crappiest solenoids. And a progressive shot like you're talking about is very hard on the noids. By a known quality kit like NX or even NOS.