: Are our low beams really high?

barry007
11-20-07, 07:40 PM
so i've thought about posting this a few times...well today, three times someone flashed me as if i had my high beams on. Anyone enjoy flashing them back with the real high beams?

B

rand49er
11-20-07, 08:33 PM
Depending upon whether or not you're going over a hill and they lift up a bit, yeah, I think they're probably pretty bright in that situation. Otherwise, they're just more bluish and may fake other drivers out.

SLPR 6.0L
11-21-07, 01:58 AM
If someone comes at you with highbeams on, one flash gets thier attention

ewill3rd
11-21-07, 06:43 AM
Some people just like to complain, they don't understand that HIDs offer a slightly better spectrum of light and just because they appear to be brighter they go nuts.
They don't understand that the conventional halogen lights are actually harder on your eyes than the HIDs so they go crazy. It is that whole "I must control other people" mentality.
Personally, brights or not I just let people be, if they want to give a drunk driver something to aim for that is their business. I am just happy when some of these 'tards actually bother to turn their lights on at night :histeric:

trukk
11-21-07, 09:38 AM
Some people just like to complain, they don't understand that HIDs offer a slightly better spectrum of light and just because they appear to be brighter they go nuts.
They don't understand that the conventional halogen lights are actually harder on your eyes than the HIDs so they go crazy. It is that whole "I must control other people" mentality.
Personally, brights or not I just let people be, if they want to give a drunk driver something to aim for that is their business. I am just happy when some of these 'tards actually bother to turn their lights on at night :histeric:

WOW, Bill's on fire today :D

-Chris

tedcmiller
11-21-07, 10:07 AM
Bottom line - the CTS-V HIDs appear brighter than normal halogen headlights. Many drivers have not adjusted to this difference and think that HID low beams are high beams. Other cars with HIDs have the same problem. As more and more cars switch from halogen to HIDs, this problem will become less significant.

As a matter of interest, many new cars have one set of HIDs and use a shutter to go from low to high beams. This eliminates the problems associated with using a separate HID lamp for high beams (cost, dead time, etc.). I would imagine that HID high beams really drive some folks nuts.

The Tony Show
11-21-07, 10:34 AM
A staggering amount of people don't understand that "High Beams" are not any brighter than "Low Beams"- they're just aimed higher.

These are the idiots that see a brighter HID light and flash you thinking you have your Highs on.

JimmyH
11-21-07, 01:50 PM
Well, news to you all, Cadillac HIDs suck azz. They are more blinding than most any other manufacturers HID's. Even the reflector based HID's on the old Escalade were blinding. Cadillac, and BMW & Lincoln too, need to learn how to make HID's. I feel guilty every time I drive my V at night.

And projectors, HID or halogen, just plain suck. But that is another rant altogether different.

Jon
11-21-07, 02:02 PM
Are your headlights aimed too high?

I've got HID low beams and fog lights. I drive with them on 24/7. I have NEVER had anyone flash their lights at me, even at night.

JimmyH
11-21-07, 02:14 PM
I actually don't what mine are like, I have never gotten flashed. But I have been blinded by plenty of oncoming STS, DTS, and God help me, Escalades. If I have an Escalade behind me at night, even with halogen lights, I have to turn my mirror up or down, even darkened it is still too bright. Navigators are even worse. And I was about ready to run a 3-series off the road once because of the glare behind me.

Jon
11-21-07, 02:26 PM
I actually don't what mine are like, I have never gotten flashed. But I have been blinded by plenty of oncoming STS, DTS, and God help me, Escalades. If I have an Escalade behind me at night, even with halogen lights, I have to turn my mirror up or down, even darkened it is still too bright. Navigators are even worse. And I was about ready to run a 3-series off the road once because of the glare behind me.
I gotta say that's pretty weird. I have HIDs in my '96 Windstar daily driver and I've driven by it a couple times to make sure it doesn't blind. No problems. I've never had anyone flash at me either.

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_0795.jpg

JimmyH
11-21-07, 02:31 PM
No offense Jon, but it is very easy to rationalize when you are looking at your own car. I am sure you remember my stance on HID upgrade lights. Halogen based reflectors were not designed for that kind of light output, and like it or not, they do create a tremendous glare. It is my belief that most people who take issue with HID lights do so unwittingly because of the retrofit systems like what you have, not the true HID systems. I had those retrofits in my halogen housings in my Maxima for a short time, they were just aweful. Not only to others, but the light they put down was scattered and useless. That was when I bought the Nissan OEM HID housings.

And for the record, the halogen lights in my Honda Pilot blow away the HID lights in both my Maxima and my CTS. The beam is not as bright, but is both wider, and much farther reaching.

Jon
11-21-07, 02:44 PM
No offense Jon, but it is very easy to rationalize when you are looking at your own car. I am sure you remember my stance on HID upgrade lights. Halogen based reflectors were not designed for that kind of light output, and like it or not, they do create a tremendous glare. It is my belief that most people who take issue with HID lights do so unwittingly because of the retrofit systems like what you have, not the true HID systems. I had those retrofits in my halogen housings in my Maxima for a short time, they were just aweful. Not only to others, but the light they put down was scattered and useless. That was when I bought the Nissan OEM HID housings.

And for the record, the halogen lights in my Honda Pilot blow away the HID lights in both my Maxima and my CTS. The beam is not as bright, but is both wider, and much farther reaching.
Oh I completely agree that the halogen housings produce much more glare. I can tell by looking at the clean cutoff on the CTS and CTS-V.

The thing is, I haven't had a single person flash their lights at me. I've had these HIDs for months now and it is a daily driver.

WHYTRY
11-21-07, 03:28 PM
I get about 1 person a week that flashes me trying to tell me my high's are on. If there a dick they will change to there high's and that's when I flash mine and they know then I was being nice with my lows. I don't know why I get flashed a lot but it does happen to me. I guess people in the DC area are just asses and to quick to judge.

Coma
11-21-07, 04:07 PM
I've had this happen before. I used to be concerned, now I just ignore it.

JimmyH
11-21-07, 05:47 PM
Oh I completely agree that the halogen housings produce much more glare. I can tell by looking at the clean cutoff on the CTS and CTS-V.

The thing is, I haven't had a single person flash their lights at me. I've had these HIDs for months now and it is a daily driver.

I am still having a hard time getting used to the sharp cutoff with the CTS projectors. My Maxima has reflector HID, so there is no cut-off.

The cut off is very distracting, and not very confidence inspiring.