: Value of a tune?

faylix
11-20-07, 12:08 PM
So here I am, with a second car for a few weeks.... and i'm considering a tune.

My car is an 06 with just a drop in filter. Thats probably all its going to have for a while power wise. I'd like to remain stealthy for now and its fast enough to get me in trouble.

That being said, i am looking for some more usuable power.

So I ask the forum, is it worth it to get a tune with just a stock motor and drop in K&N filter?

Should I go with a StealthV tune, or should i go to a local shop with a dyno and an onsite tuner. CSP30000 says he knows a good one.

should i save my money and wait for something better? :banghead:

-J

jnrandall
11-20-07, 12:30 PM
I would say you should wait until you add some bolt-ons. If you had a cat-back exhaust and or headers, I'd say go for it. But this is just my opinion. Also if you have access to a good shop that'll dyno tune your car, I'd choose that. To me it's like deciding between an off the rack suit and a custom tailored one. No matter how good and off the rack suit looks, the one custom tailored to your body will always fit better.

m32V
11-20-07, 12:35 PM
That's a good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I have only Corsa exhaust and was considering headers, but after having to deal with the dealership so much I've put the headers on hold(Dealer has had my car 15 out of the first 34 days of my ownership). So does anyone know what kind of gains can be had from a tune on a stock or intake/exhaust only V?

Humanoid
11-20-07, 01:00 PM
My old 01 SS Camaro gained about 10-15 HP from a custom dyno tune w/ intake and cat-back. I would guess that gains would be similar since the motor is very similar. Not worth it in my opinion.

caddyv8v
11-20-07, 01:12 PM
great thread. i was considering a tune with a stock 07. after reading the replys...maybe i will hold off until i make the move on engine mods.

AirCav
11-20-07, 01:42 PM
I would say you should wait until you add some bolt-ons.

Not worth it in my opinion.

hold off until i make the move on engine mods.

:yeah:

51PHFTY
11-20-07, 02:11 PM
I have gone through several variations or Stealth V's tunes (as I have added more mods and as Rick has updated his offerings) and I also have a dyno tune done by Charlie at A & A Corvette here in So. Cal. (2 PCM's)

They are different and both have advantages. The Dyno tune gets a little more from the motor (448 RWHP and 421 RWTQ on a hot day) and Rick's tune has some bells and whistles that the dyno tune does not (like keeping the fan on after motor shut off, shift light, valet mode etc. and the power band feels a little different). I have Stealth's tune in the car right now as I like it better for everyday driving (not that I have driven it much lately).

If I remember right, Rick will update his tunes for free (or a very nominal amount) as you add mods. but check with him to make sure. Also, if I remember right, Rick used to lock his tunes (which is understandable) so you may have to have him put it back to stock if you ever wanted to go back - again, check with him to make sure. A dyno tuner may do the same thing.

As long as the dyno tuner is reputable, you really can't go wrong either way and the difference can be felt in my opinion with just minor mods. Just make sure you do not end up running too lean to get more power.

BTW: I am running a 2.6 maggie with a Corsa and CAI.

Marty

50 4Ever
11-20-07, 02:58 PM
I have a cold air intake and a Magnaflow catback exhaust. When I got a tune it was seat of the pants noticeable. Don't know the horsepower gain.

The guy that tuned mine is a GM rep and he drives a stock V and he tuned it.

:thumbsup:

wildwhl
11-20-07, 03:15 PM
Good tune - $500-$1000 (enjoyment is priceless)

Bad tune = $7K+ (i.e. new crate motor plus installation)

StealthV never let me down.

WW

rand49er
11-20-07, 05:13 PM
Go with Rick. Do your mods and go back to Rick. Do some more mods and call Rick.

:nuffsaid:

CTSV_Rob
11-20-07, 05:25 PM
Very happy with the tune from Rick on my LS2.

1FASTSS
11-20-07, 06:26 PM
I think on a stock motor you will be just fine with a mail order tune. As you start modding that's when you need a dyno tune IMO. Have had many cars and I always wait until the cam and then just dyno tune it. You can get by on the stock tune for just a bolt on car.

JonCR96Z
11-20-07, 06:45 PM
I think on a stock motor you will be just fine with a mail order tune. As you start modding that's when you need a dyno tune IMO. Have had many cars and I always wait until the cam and then just dyno tune it. You can get by on the stock tune for just a bolt on car.

:yeah: Rick's got more log time on CTSV's than anyone. No doubt that a stock, lightly modded, or commonly modded Vs can benefit more from the Stealth tune.

Depending on the price of the dyno tune, one thing that I like is that if you have it dyno tuned then you don't have to spend more money to have it dynoed. A local shop to me only charges $300 for a basic dyno tune. Just do you're research and you'll make the right decision.

Jon

trukk
11-21-07, 09:47 AM
My $0.02,

Find a good place to get a dyno tune. Inquire what the cost is for a retune. Most good places will wither only charge you for dyno time, or will charge a small cost (as long as it's not a major retune, like for forced injection, or a crazy cam).

If you can find a place like that, and you plan to mod more in the future, I see no reason not to get one now. You'll gain a few HP (10 -15 ish). Beyond that a good tuner, will do more than that, such as turning off the annoying CAGS (saves a few bucks on buying a CAGS eliminator), tweak the deceleration decay, tourque management, etc. Generally it will make driving the car more enjoyable.

As a note, I've had my car tuned twice already with just bolt-on's. First was with CAI, Ported TB, Corsa & RT replacement cats. Then had it redone when I added headers & smooth intake tuibe. I will be getting another in the next week or so, when I add a fast90/90.

Have fun (and forget about all those amps & speakers and spend your mod money on go fast bits :D)

-Chris

MLV
11-22-07, 11:42 AM
I highly recommend Rick's StealthV tune. Great service.:thumbsup:

caddyv8v
11-22-07, 12:20 PM
hey MLV, have you had your xlr-v tuned? it made a very noticable difference when i had my 06 sts-v.

MLV
11-23-07, 09:47 PM
hey MLV, have you had your xlr-v tuned? it made a very noticable difference when i had my 06 sts-v.

I considered it but never did, and at this point, I plan to trade it next year, probably for an '09 CTS-V. Then I'm done...for a while at least.:spin:

Mystical_Ice
11-28-07, 02:37 AM
two CTS-Vs and an XLR-V

what's your job and how do i get it?

benelliwang
11-28-07, 12:25 PM
I started tuning the car on 3rd day of the ownership. But that's because I already have the tunning software from tuning other LS1 cars.

Frist thing I did was to get rid of the annoying skip shift, and the fans kick in sooner. Then I logged the data on the streets and found the car running lean and LTFT was over 9%. It was having some knock retard on the top end too. So I added some fuel to the corresponding cells to the VE table, added a little more to the PE table and dialed in the timing. Log, tune, flash, and repeat until you are happy. By the end of the week, I gained 3 degrees of timing without knock and a/f is seems to be good too. Car feels much better and pulls strong tot he top. Only thing I was too lazy to do was to throw my wide band on the car and really tune it for the power. But I have other issues on this car to fix first.

After I've finish working on my friend's sand rail with him, we are gonna try to finish my C5's twin turbo kit next. Then it's time to dig up some cams/heads/nitrous kit in our garages and slap it on the Catera Touring Sedan - Victory.

trukk
11-28-07, 01:03 PM
<SNIP>Catera Touring Sedan - Victory.</SNIP>

Hey, it's Cimmaron Touring Sedan, buddy :D

-Chris