: I got interagated/harrassed by an older sts driver last @ a Gas station

cocaines
11-20-07, 06:24 AM
last night when i was pumping gas at station close to my house another older sts driver pulled up to the pump beside me. The first thing he asked was if that was my car, in a very subjective way. after replyin yes, he asked how old i am and how can i afford such a car? after telling him that i just turned 21. he asked why do you guys insist on ruining the image that cadillac spent decades to build and at my age he could never afford a luxury car.( at first when he said "you guys" i thought he was implying my race, but soon found out he was refering to my whole generation)

after continuing the conversation he made it quite clear that he when he first pulled in he thought my car was a V-series because of the mesh grill and E&G ground effects. and was quite happy since he never seen one in person, but to soon find out it was an "imposter". he claimed by me adding the mesh grille i am posing as something i am not. i made my arguement that the mesh grille looks far superior than the stock grille and makes the car look better and alot more classier and aggressive. (that was my mistake) he then got offended thinking i was insulting his car and taste.(which i never intended to do) i tried to apologize but he wasnt having that. he then went to his next point that by me having a V-Series grille that a "ricer" in a M-series might see me on the highway and race me and when i lose i will give the impression to the driver that they just dominated a V-series. thus decrediting all the people who spent the extra hard earned money on the real thing. i told him that i dont disagree with him but i dont race my car. He then said he is in his late 40's and been driving cadillacs his whole life and my car seriously offends him. and if he was an representive of cadillac he would reposes my car in order to save the image of the company. he then finished off his arguement that the car is perfect stock and if the mesh grille looked better it would of came stock. and that the ground effects turns the car into a "rice mobile" it's a luxury sedan not a import sports car. He then said he cant believe that this is the new class of gentleman.

i told him i respect his opinion and i think he should respect mine. even though i felt like his opinions/feelings were a bit deeper than he let on.

the thing that actually got to me is that i stood outside for more than 10 minutes in the freezing cold just to be critisized by an older gentleman. i really wonder what he would of said if i still had on my 20's instead of the stock wheels. i might of been there for half an hour.

does anyone on this section of the forum agree with his "imposter" opinions?

MARKVIII
11-20-07, 06:55 AM
i am in my late 40's and though i might agree with him on some level i would never approach someone and harrass them about it. chalk it up to him being a jackass.

c5 rv
11-20-07, 07:30 AM
... at my age he could never afford a luxury car. ...He then said he is in his late 40's and been driving cadillacs his whole life ...

The guy can't quite get his story right, ehh? You should have called OPP and informed them of the aggressive drunk driver you encountered at the gas station.

As for being an imposter - a grille and ground effects are your own personal taste. I only cite imposters when they start putting V badges on non-V cars.

Caroutisine
11-20-07, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you ran into a real jerk.

I think that most folks in their 40's do not share his opinions.

If you see this person again...don't make eye contact.

Aurora5000
11-20-07, 09:12 AM
Jealousy shows up in the strangest places...What did his breath smell like? :alchi:

dhemrick
11-20-07, 10:02 AM
I think that it is nice that younger people are driving Cadillacs! I'm "only" 36, and a few people have asked me why I drive those "old man's cars". Even back when I had a stock Eldorado collectors series, I showed them what the car can do and they shut the hell up.

Now that I have the STS-V, there is no question that this is no "old man's car", but is a high performance vehicle that happens to be very luxurious. Even the regular STS falls in this category.

I don't think that anyone would mistake your car for a true V any more than someone would mistake a Civic with ground effects for a hot-rod performance car. The regular V8 STS is no slouch, and even with a mechanically stock STS, you're going to run circles around most other cars on the road. If you choose to dress it up, then so be it. It is a matter of personal taste.

I agree with the previous post, though, that putting a V emblem on the car would cross the line. As long as someone doesn't do that, I'm OK with some modifications it because hey... it's a Cadillac!

If I saw you at a gas station, I would come over, shake your hand and complement you on your choice of autos.

corvette00
11-20-07, 11:01 AM
Did he have a padded top and gold emblems on his Cadillac. I have driven Cadillacs since I was 30 and the main reason was for the performance. I changed the grill in my 05 to a V-series grill, an in my 07 to a QTZ grill (similar to the SRX sport grill). I get compliments on my grill all the time, and the stock grill looks cheap. I would have walked away once that conversation started going south.

jgrade
11-20-07, 11:52 AM
Don't worry about that guy. I think you saw a bit of jealousy. I am 38 and drive the same car you do. I have the V6 with V-grill, EGX effects and wrap around spoiler. Most people I run into that know Cadillacs think I am driving a V but I quickly correct them. I don't care about others opinions, this is my car and I like it the way it is. Although if I had it to do over again I would get the V8 with AWD (just because it sucks in the snow).

The best part of your conversation with that guy is that he seemed OK until you told him that it was not a V. So if the car was a V then it would not be ruining the image of Cadillac? But since it was not then some "ricer" could beat you in a race and somehow degrade the image of Cadillac as a luxury car? This guy is all over the place. How come these things never happen to me. I would have a few things to say to him about HIS image. I think guys like that should not be allowed to drive Cadillacs They ruin the image of us sane STS drivers.

cocaines
11-20-07, 01:55 PM
no he was driving a black stock v6 sts. i dont know what year it was though. like honestly i can see where the guy was coming from but just how he stated his opinion and didnt care to hear any other opinion was messed up. and that he doesnt appreciate younger people driving the same car as him. i honestly dont know if he was drunk because he wasnt at a close enough distance for me to tell by smell and his motor skills seemed normal. i know almost all the people at my local dealer and service center loved my car when it was in its summer gear, and i think they age ranges from 21 to 60 so i know everyone doesnt feel that way. just imagine if i had a D3 body kit and hood on my car. i wonder how he will feel when the cts, now that it won MT COTY, becomes the next 3 series. where all the younger generations hops all over it, especailly the females.

Lord Cadillac
11-20-07, 02:54 PM
The guy was an old, jealous idiot.

05STSWOW
11-20-07, 05:04 PM
I have a problem with something said in the initial post. This young whipper-snapper describes a guy in his 40's as "an older gentleman". Them's fightin' words son. The "older gentlemen" Cadillac drivers are in DTS's and yearn for the days of mega-boat Fleecewood Brogans. I see all ages in the current STS's, but the trend is to drivers who are car enthusiasts, regardless of age. The "older" enthusiasts never had Cadillac to go to before the STS and N*.
"Older" is not an age, but a state of mind. I'm on my 4th consecutive STS ('96, '02, '05 1SG, and '08 1SG), all of them red and the '08 has the Performance Handling Pkg with 18 x 8.5s and Brembos, E&G mesh grill and window tint. And, incidentally, I'm 63 and a smart-ass white boy.
Remember... experience and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm everytime. ;-)

rb92gt
11-20-07, 07:28 PM
Imposter!!!??? He was a jackass. I too have the mesh grill (never intended to look like a V) and added a spoiler (didn't intend to look like a 1SG) because I like the way the grill and spoiler look. That old (> 40) fool. He sounds jealous to me, that's human nature.

cocaines
11-20-07, 07:40 PM
the reason i said "older gentleman" is because he is older than me, twice my age. but out of curiousity what would of been a better term to use?

Lord Cadillac
11-20-07, 07:57 PM
the reason i said "older gentleman" is because he is older than me, twice my age. but out of curiousity what would of been a better term to use?
"Some idiot that was really cool otherwise because he was twice my age". :cookoo:

Curious George
11-21-07, 01:38 AM
The guy was an old, jealous idiot.

Jealous idiot, yes. But watch out who you call "old", sonny.:want:

dkozloski
11-21-07, 01:27 PM
I am an old white fart with a V8 AWD STS. I was at a local gas station filling up when one of the brothers, a young guy, came up to me and told me what a beautiful car I have. I thanked him and we had a nice little conversation. Not all chance encounters at the gas station have to be confrontational.

Lord Cadillac
11-21-07, 03:42 PM
Jealous idiot, yes. But watch out who you call "old", sonny.:want:
There's nothing wrong with being old - but being an old idiot is a different story... Same goes for being young...

Kadonny
11-21-07, 05:01 PM
Honestly? I get more looks and points from the younger crowd with my V than I do other STS drivers. The other STS drivers don't seem to give a crap about the V or even know what a V is.

Don't sweat it, the guy sounds like he was an ass, just forget about it. Posers are only those that badge the car like a V when it really isn't. If this guy was a caddy afficianodo he would have seen the lack of hood bulge and know it was not a V anyway. Maybe he is the poser.

Lifer
11-21-07, 07:27 PM
I am an old white fart with a V8 AWD STS. I was at a local gas station filling up when one of the brothers, a young guy, came up to me and told me what a beautiful car I have. I thanked him and we had a nice little conversation. Not all chance encounters at the gas station have to be confrontational.

Don't stand behind the old "fart."

z06bigbird
11-21-07, 08:56 PM
last night when i was pumping gas at station close to my house another older sts driver pulled up to the pump beside me. The first thing he asked was if that was my car, in a very subjective way. after replyin yes, he asked how old i am and how can i afford such a car? after telling him that i just turned 21. he asked why do you guys insist on ruining the image that cadillac spent decades to build and at my age he could never afford a luxury car.( at first when he said "you guys" i thought he was implying my race, but soon found out he was refering to my whole generation)

after continuing the conversation he made it quite clear that he when he first pulled in he thought my car was a V-series because of the mesh grill and E&G ground effects. and was quite happy since he never seen one in person, but to soon find out it was an "imposter". he claimed by me adding the mesh grille i am posing as something i am not. i made my arguement that the mesh grille looks far superior than the stock grille and makes the car look better and alot more classier and aggressive. (that was my mistake) he then got offended thinking i was insulting his car and taste.(which i never intended to do) i tried to apologize but he wasnt having that. he then went to his next point that by me having a V-Series grille that a "ricer" in a M-series might see me on the highway and race me and when i lose i will give the impression to the driver that they just dominated a V-series. thus decrediting all the people who spent the extra hard earned money on the real thing. i told him that i dont disagree with him but i dont race my car. He then said he is in his late 40's and been driving cadillacs his whole life and my car seriously offends him. and if he was an representive of cadillac he would reposes my car in order to save the image of the company. he then finished off his arguement that the car is perfect stock and if the mesh grille looked better it would of came stock. and that the ground effects turns the car into a "rice mobile" it's a luxury sedan not a import sports car. He then said he cant believe that this is the new class of gentleman.

i told him i respect his opinion and i think he should respect mine. even though i felt like his opinions/feelings were a bit deeper than he let on.

the thing that actually got to me is that i stood outside for more than 10 minutes in the freezing cold just to be critisized by an older gentleman. i really wonder what he would of said if i still had on my 20's instead of the stock wheels. i might of been there for half an hour.

does anyone on this section of the forum agree with his "imposter" opinions?

First of all, he was no gentleman.
Secondly, he sounded like one of the moderators.
Thirdly, I will probably get banned.

Lord Cadillac
11-21-07, 09:17 PM
I really don't like this "I'll probably get banned" talk. What reason do you have for your comment about a moderator here? If you have trouble with somebody, let me know about it instead of bringing it into other people's discussions.

Don't reply here. PM me.

Thank you.

northlites
11-23-07, 04:25 PM
What does being "interagated" mean?

This whole thread is getting a little out of hand, but the age question is
academic. That this all happened to Cocaines in Toronto is frightening.

Hey, he's got a cool ride that he's proud of. What's wrong with that?
When I was in Las Vegas in October I was lucky enough to snag a
Mustang Shelby GT-H droptop. I loved the throaty growl of the car and
I got a lot of friendly comments and happy waves from folks. I came
back to reality and the purr of my '05 STS, but no one said my grey hair
blowin' in the wind didn't go with that black Shelby with the yellow racing
stripes.
As another poster put it, age is a state of mind and Cocaine ran into a
grouchy old fart. I've had too many conversations with car guys, young
and old of various racial stripes, to give this cranky jerk any credence.

b4z
11-24-07, 09:34 PM
I've got a couple of observations here that are diametrically opposed and just a little tongue in cheek.

1) The guy was a bit of a jerk, a social climber and a classist.

2) Cadillac needs to raise their prices AND improve resale so 21 year olds can't afford them, new OR used.............

Jesda
11-24-07, 11:55 PM
First of all, he was no gentleman.
Secondly, he sounded like one of the moderators.
Thirdly, I will probably get banned.

If thats what you really want I'm sure someone could make it happen for you.

malatu
11-25-07, 01:13 PM
This might be a bit contrary to most of the other posts but the previous post got me thinking and wanting to make this observation.

The older guy at the gas station, although inappropriate, probably had some sincere feelings that could be justified (Unfortunately, he couldn't keep them to himself). In the eyes of a marketing "purists", when we bastardize the visual appearance of any product, the intending branding by the manufacturer becomes something different than intended thus representing something different than intended. This results in "brand dilution". This is why the NFL doesn't let any players or coaches wear anything that is personalized during a football game. It's all about the marketing of the NFL brand. In general does GM use modded cars in their marketing material? Nothing can be bigger or better than "the brand".

I can understand how a 40 - 60ish year old guy who is "loyal to the brand" and purchases a caddy because of the love of the car and his perception that it's a Caddy it's a privilege to drive might get a bit annoyed at the sight of what a 21 year old owning the same car (but modified) he drives. (Of course, this is no excuse for inappropriate behavior at the pumps!) I've read the original post a couple of time now and each time I read it, the older guy at the pump makes more and more sense to me (although no less abrasive).

As much as many of the folk here say they purchased a caddy for its reliability, utility, looks etc., I think exclusivity and the feel good factor is obviously motivating factors for purchasing a Caddy. I assume most of the 40 or 60 year old crowds don't buy their clothing at the Gap for the simple reason that's where the 20ish crowd shops. Although maybe a poor example but for those older folk who want exclusivity and the feel good fact in the clothing they wear, I surmise the Gap can't provide such factors.

Was the older guy's behavior at the pump inappropriate? .... yes.

Were his thoughts way off base? In my opinion .... not entirely ....

dkozloski
11-25-07, 01:49 PM
Every generation thinks that they invented change, innovation, and individuality. Throughout history the older generation knows what's really going on because in their day they did the same thing; the kids are out to do whatever it takes to draw attention to themselves and piss off the old man. It's as simple as that. The kids pick out some symbol of conservatism, jack it around, and stick it their old man's face. Look what I can do! The day will come when they will be on the receiving end and they'll moan and groan how the world they knew is going to hell in a hand basket.

dkozloski
11-25-07, 03:19 PM
The real irony here is that rather than breaking a mold and heading into uncharted territory when you mod your car, you are really adhering to a million year old pattern. As I was milling heads and changing cams and carbs, my Dad told me his stories about spark plugs in straight pipes and overhead valve conversions. The same process gets repeated over and over. It's all part of life.

turnerbend
11-25-07, 05:11 PM
63 years old country boy. Love my Cadillac.

cguthrie
11-26-07, 09:41 PM
The old dude was just a lunatic. No worries. I'd go with the usual, "excuse me, I have to go/make phone call/feed the dog/go to meeting, etc., and just roll. Don't waste your time with crazy people.

To each his own on the customization. I'm just happy more people are buying Cadillacs these days. Personally, I love the stealth nature of my stock SG1. Interestingly, people in more expensive areas of town will always say, "that is a really good looking car, who makes it?" and in less expensive areas even the little kids will say, "great looking Cadillac!" Bizarre, but it speaks to the current branding or complete lack of advertising for the STS and the massive depreciation. But it works for me, since I buy used and run the wheels off the car. Despite the occasional hand wringing on this site, these cars are some of the most reliable and terrific performing cars on the road.

My next STS will be a 2008 V, after my current STS hits 150K, and the first "mod" I'll probably do is de-badge all the V and supercharged logos!

Glad you're enjoying your ride; don't worry/waste time with the wack-jobs.

CG
2005 STS SG1