: oil sploch on cam cover

cateraowner
11-19-07, 07:38 PM
well I've attache a picture so it'll better explain what it is. this has been the for about 2 months now.

does anyone know how it's leaking and how I can fix it

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 07:42 PM
you have cable throttle .i have electric hmmmmm. cant see my wires either hmm,,,,,,,, looks like your bolt is loose and oils comming up through that

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 07:44 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/10ktgold/CADILLAC/S2010233.jpg

elvin315
11-19-07, 09:40 PM
Looks like a loose cover bolt but it might not be that simple. The classic cause of leaking cam covers is a clogged crankcase breather. The pressure has no where to vent so it sneaks out past the cam cover gaskets and o-rings. Even if you tighten the bolts or replace the gaskets, unless you clean the breather it could leak again.

Elvin

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 10:03 PM
ok last thing also. you have one tb? wtf

cateraowner
11-19-07, 10:33 PM
Looks like a loose cover bolt but it might not be that simple. The classic cause of leaking cam covers is a clogged crankcase breather. The pressure has no where to vent so it sneaks out past the cam cover gaskets and o-rings. Even if you tighten the bolts or replace the gaskets, unless you clean the breather it could leak again.

Elvin

I was reading that up today in one of the treads. I was thinking about doing that this weekend, but the problem is I don't have garage, so I'd have to do it in my parking lot of my apartment. is it pretty straight forward and how long does it take? should I replace the gaskets too?

ok last thing also. you have one tb? wtf

what's a tb?

by the way, nice engine bay, how often do you clean it? and do you use a pressure washer?

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 11:03 PM
throttle body. ive cleaned it one time ,and that was when i changed the ebtcm

cateraowner
11-19-07, 11:14 PM
throttle body. ive cleaned it one time ,and that was when i changed the ebtcm

I'm pretty sure I have 2 trottle bodies it just got cut off in the picture

here's the full picture just in case I'm mistaken what the tb is.

elvin315
11-19-07, 11:29 PM
is it pretty straight forward and how long does it take? should I replace the gaskets too?

Don't know time wise but it seems easy enough. I paid to have my gaskets replaced but that was before I found this place. Anyway, to my way of thinking I'd clean the breather first. With the pressure relieved the leaks should stop. Clean the oil off the cover and watch for for a reoccurence. If it leaks again replace the gaskets. I'm no expert so take my advice for what it's worth. If the consensus says change the gaskets, do it.

Elvin

10KTGOLD
11-19-07, 11:35 PM
heres a few differences. extra hose to your intake ,other different things also.. there colored lol......... what year is your car? http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/10ktgold/CADILLAC/sdfghjk.jpg

cateraowner
11-20-07, 12:35 AM
mines a 98.

our look quite different. heres a better angle that might mitch yours a bit.

are 99 and 98 that different? I thought they were the same.

I have no idea what the round thing is.. don't really know how to find out either. I attached a photo of the back of it.

this car is a learning experience, so I don't really know much about it yet.

10KTGOLD
11-20-07, 12:56 AM
yeah uim are different and everything i see. odd huh

cateraowner
11-20-07, 03:13 PM
Don't know time wise but it seems easy enough. I paid to have my gaskets replaced but that was before I found this place. Anyway, to my way of thinking I'd clean the breather first. With the pressure relieved the leaks should stop. Clean the oil off the cover and watch for for a reoccurence. If it leaks again replace the gaskets. I'm no expert so take my advice for what it's worth. If the consensus says change the gaskets, do it.

Elvin

sounds reasonable to me.

I'll do the clean on the weekend. I kinda want to pick up the material today, so do you know what I'll be needing? I know I'd clean the breathers and everything else with carb cleaner. is there anything else I should pick up? any special tools I need to take this apart?

also I assume since the throttle body will be off I might as well get some throttle cleaner and clean out the throttle body.