: Need help....PLZ!!

RascalzStS
11-19-07, 07:33 PM
well i just picked up a 97 sts, its a beautiful car and my first cadillac...so generally im new to the motor and the setup etc..etc, anyways, i replaced the waterpump due to a leak but i still have a overheating problem. the temperature gauge marks in the middle but after i assume the car reaches normal running temperature the car begins to throw water from the drain tube by the cap...and after a while it really starts to flow and steamy too, the hose that comes from the top of the radiator that runs across the front and into i assume the inlet for the water pump begins to swell.....do i need to flush the radiator, bleed the cooling system, ive already checked the thermostat.....im open to ideas at the moment...oh and both fans turn on, but for some reason my a/c wont come on, only from the defrost vent........HELP ME PLEASE!!!

afterburn
11-19-07, 08:06 PM
Hmmm im not a mechanic but i do have some basic knowledge. Did you relieve the engine of any air bubbles after filling it with coolant?

RascalzStS
11-19-07, 09:46 PM
how would i do that?? is there like a bleeder valve? i simply ran the car to about normal temp with the resivior cap off so all the air can come out....is there a better way???

Ranger
11-19-07, 09:47 PM
Do a search for "purge line". Verify that it is clear.

How many miles on it? From whom did you buy it (dealer or private)? Did you test drive it? What where you told about the condition?

Dadillac
11-19-07, 11:10 PM
Make certain that the thermostat is installed correctly. If installed backwards, it will never open.

Don

RascalzStS
11-20-07, 12:05 AM
it doesnt have the thermostat' its that the problem? cuz where im from there is nooo car with a thermostat...its not really required......but more info on this purge line....

Ranger
11-20-07, 12:21 AM
Yes, the thermostat IS required. Reinstall it. That could be your problem.

The purge line purges air from the system. If it is plugged, you'll overheat. Do a search. It has been discussed many, many times.

RascalzStS
11-20-07, 02:26 AM
thank you sir i will search...any other suggestions?

alxinya
11-20-07, 05:03 AM
I think that the thermostat will open backwards because when I got my car, it was backward. This is one of the reasons my car was junked and I got it so cheap. It was running hot but didn't overheat. I could see how it could be installed backwards though.
RascalzSTS, this car needs a thermostat even if you live in Antarctica.
Alex

Submariner409
11-20-07, 10:04 AM
Backwards: You need a thermostat even if you live in Egypt.

EcSTSatic
11-20-07, 12:14 PM
I hope your heads are alright. Overheating is death to aluminum engines. Get the t-stat in correctly and see what else is wrong.

RascalzStS
11-20-07, 05:16 PM
welli hope the heads are ok, there are no fumes coming from the exhaust and theres no water in the oil, so at least thats a good sign....